It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• sinusitis question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2003, 06:07 PM   #1
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Question sinusitis question

About two weeks before my head pressure started, I experienced some sort of sinus problem. I had mild congestion but I was constantly blowing junk out of my nose. I never had so much mucous come out of my nose in my life. The problem lasted about 2 - 3 weeks. I haven't connected my head problem to the sinus problem because my nose isn't running any more and the congestion is gone. My question is can you have sinusitis after you are cured of the congestion and runny nose? Today the bridge of my nose and around my nose started hurting pretty bad. This is the first this has happened since my head pressure began. I took some sinus capsules and used some nasal spray which got rid of my facial pain but I still feel the slight head pressure on top of my head. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2003, 05:27 AM   #2
    Miza03

Miza03 HB User
    I have had pressure in my head since March when I had a severe sinus infection. In the beginning it felt like I needed a release valve at the back/ top of my head. It felt like the pressure was behind my eyes. For about a month I felt like I was in a fish bowl. Now I have headaches 24/7. Sometimes they are so severe that I get nauseous. A CT scan of my sinuses showed nothing, just minor inflammation. The doctor thinks that my neck muscles are very tense most likely because I am straining to concentrate on words, etc. I am convinced the pressure is a result of the sinus thing even though my sinusitis symptoms (runny nose etc) only lasted about 10 days.

Take Care
    Mia

Old 05-28-2003, 05:47 AM   #3
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Thanks for your reply. I am so tired of my head pressure and I too have been getting the eye pressure lately. I have been taking decongestants hooing that will help. It's weird that the head and eye pressure seem to worsen in the later part of the day. My doctor should get my CT scan results today or tomorrow. Maybe they will show something regarding my sinuses. When I CT scan of the head is performed, does the scan include your entire head (back, top, face, etc)?

Old 05-28-2003, 06:11 AM   #4
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    It depends on what the doctor ordered for a CT scan. My question is why didn't the doc just order a simple set of sinus x-rays so he could tell right away if it was your sinuses or not. In the meantime be sure you are using a good antioxidant supplement every day to prevent future colds and sinsus problems.

Old 05-28-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
    meamie21

meamie21 HB User
    Hi, this is a weird coincidence. I just received results of my MRI (I had been experiencing lots of headaches; doc did CT scan and something weird came up; MRI done to rule out this weird thing - just in case you were wondering Anyway, it turns out that I have a really bad sinus infection right now. I don't have any symptoms other than the headache/pressure in my head, and I never would've guessed it could be related to sinus problems. I had a sinus infection diagnosed over a month ago. So, you can still have sinusitis w/o having symptoms I guess.

Old 05-28-2003, 05:14 PM   #6
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    If a CT scan doesn't show anything serious, what are your chances that nothing serious is wrong? I've read that CT scans are pretty accurate at finding tumors but I still worry since my head pressure is still hanging around. I'm so scared to have an MRI done but I guess it may be necessary.

meamie21, I am glad to hear that it is only a sinus infection. Hopefully, that is all I have and can get it cured. How long can sinusitis last if left untreated? Can it get worse?

Old 05-29-2003, 05:45 AM   #7
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    The sinus problems can hang around for months and months and never really clear itself up if left untreated. Sometimes it takes months of continuous antibiotics to fully get rid of it. If left to linger without totally getting rid of it you can wind up needing sinus surgery. Your best bet is to see what comes of your tests but in the meantime get on a good antioxidant routine to help prevent future problems. Preventative therapy is the best way to go since it is easier to prevent things than it is to fix them some times.

Old 05-29-2003, 06:31 AM   #8
    Miza03

Miza03 HB User
    I had a CT Scan done of my sinuses and it showed minor inflammation of the mastoids and ethmoid sinuses. The ENT did not think this was significant even though I still felt terrible. My cousin runs an MRI center and he agreed to scan my head to rule out any major abnormalities. He scanned my head from every angle and nothing showed up to be concerned about.
    Don't be afraid of MRI. It is really not that bad. Close your eyes. Generally they play music and give you a button to push if you feel you need out. The one I was in had a mirror that you could see out into the room. I was in for over an hour. Usually it is 15 minutes or less. Tell yourself tha you will have better peace of mind knowing if there is something not right with your brain etc.
    I had an inner ear disease three years ago. I was dizzy 24/7 for over 6 months. Eventually it completely went away. I am convinced that the latest sinus infection has had an effect on my inner ear and if causing the weird pressure feeling in my head and the fuzzy vision. I keep hoping that it will eventually go away.
    Take care
    Mia

Old 05-29-2003, 12:39 PM   #9
    Gaitsofgold

Gaitsofgold HB User
    Now that you guys mention it - I had that feeling of being in a fish bowl for a few weeks, and nothing could be found. My primary doctor and the ENT he sent me to both felt it was caused by anxiety since I do have panic disorder. The feeling did go away by itself, but I now have migraines that last a long time (over 18 hours sometimes) and facial pain that sometimes goes along with it, and severe neck pain around the time a migraine is getting ready to hit. Is all this related? I don't know, but would never have connected the head pressure I had with the severe migraines I now get. Food for thought. . .
    Randi

Old 05-29-2003, 06:03 PM   #10
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    My head feels foggy when the pressure isn't bad. I am being referred to somone else tomorrow. Hopefully, I will find the cause of my problems soon. Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-10-2003, 12:33 AM   #11
    tatewin

tatewin HB User
    Hi all,

I have a question for anyone and everyone... is it possible to have sinusitis without having any greenish or yellow (yuck)goopy mucous that usually one would think would accompany a sinus infection?

I'm asking because: April 26th I had one of the absolute worst headaches I've ever had in my life. A couple of days later, my left upper teeth became painful. I had a feeling it was a sinus infection, but didn't call my Dr. till May 9...and by that time, I was having headaches daily and my nose was congested. She put me on antibiotics for 10 days. After that round, the pain and congestion came back and I wound up catching a cold ..sore throat, etc. She put me on another round for 10 days and said if that didn't work, I'd be going to the ENT. It didn't work completely, however, while taking each round of antibiotics I did not need to take anything for pain and had no headaches..though I still had mild congestion. But, still no goopy yucky mucous...and hardly any drainage to speak of at all. I finished my last round of meds last Monday, and by Wednesday the teeth pain was back - along with pain at the back and top of my head 9toward the left), sore neck and shoulders, pain in front of my left ear, and pain behind my left eye, and woke up two days with puffy eyes - and I was back to taking Tylenol Sinus. I see the ENT in 4 days, but I called my dr today because the pain, pressure, sensations are bad again, plus I'm exhausted from the whole thing. She put me on yet another round of antibiotics since that seemed to help somewhat with the pain. I'm sorry this is so long, but this has me REALLY concerned. I've never had a sinus infection that did not respond to antibiotics...or one that wasn't accompanied by the obvious, tell-tale "goop." And - What might happen at the ENT's? I've never been to one before.

Thanks so much for your patience with my massive missive.

T.

Old 06-10-2003, 05:24 AM   #12
    Miza03

Miza03 HB User
    It sounds like a sinus infection to me.
    You can have sinus pressure without drainage. Basically the nasty stuff gets trapped in your head and the pressure comes from it not being able to drain.
    The ENT will most likely exam your nasal cavities. Sometimes they will numb your nostrils and look up your nose with a scope.
    Sinus infections are hard to treat with antibiotics. Has your GP given you different ones or the same one each time. My problem started in March I was given 2 rounds of Augmentin, one round of Zithromax and then nothing for about a month. I saw a different doc and he suggested I take Avelox. Avelox apparently works on anerobic bacteria. The kind of infection that is trapped in your head and not getting any oxygen. Once I started the Avelox I felt like I was getting better faster. I am still not 100% but I think I was over medicated with allergy meds. I decided to stop taking everything except aleve or ibuprofen and see what happens.
    Good luck at the ENT!

Closed Thread