It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Chronic sinus type pain - but x-rays negative?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2003, 10:21 AM   #1
    mbr22

mbr22 HB User
    Post Chronic sinus type pain - but x-rays negative?

Hi - I have chronic dull pain and pressure around and behind my eyes, temples and into my jaw. My ears always feel blocked, pressured shut, and in-fact I have Eustachian tube dysfunction, but no treatments have relieved the symptoms (ear tubes, antibiotics, antihistamines, decongestants etc.).

My sinus scans come up normal, and I have been on very strong antibiotics and every sinus type medicine, which doesn't help.

My doctor and I are now considering sinus surgery as a last resort. He indicated that although my sinus x-rays and CAT scans are basically normal, he has seen that some peoples chronic pain and pressure are relieved with sinus surgery - even though they don't have a "true infection". I am at that point where I will try anything now, because all the neurologists, allergists, TMJ dentists, ENT's, ophthalmologists, chiros have tried everything.

Basically, I feel like I have had a chronic head cold for 10 years now - just dull head pain, eye pressure and pain, ear blockage and pressure (my ears never pop open!), and constant foggy-headed feeling, like I am drunk!

Should I try the endoscopic sinus surgery? What else is there to try? All "normal" treatments have been tried already. I can't believe my symptoms are so difficult to alleviate.

Thanks for any advice!
    mbr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #2
    charleighbug

charleighbug HB User
    Red face

WHOA THERE!!!
    I USE TO WORK FOR AN ENT AND I NEVER HEARD OF THEM DOING SX FOR CHRONIC DULL HEAD PAIN W/ CONGESTION.
    BEING THAT YOU HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR SOME TIME NOW IM SURE YOU HAVE TRIED LOTS OF THINGS BUT IF I WERE YOU,(WHICH I HAVE BEEN IN YOUR SHOES BEFORE) I WOULD NOT HAVE SINUS SX. THERE IS A TREATMENT OUT THERE SOMEWHERE. TRY A COLD COMPRESS INSTEAD OF HOT, TAKE BENADRYL VS PRESCRIPTION, WASH WASH WASH YOUR COVERS,
    TAKE ALEVE FOR THE HEAD PAIN, AND AT NIGHT TRY BREATHING A VINEGAR VAPOR.

Old 09-30-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
    mek918

mek918 HB User
    Hi there -

I've experience exactly what you are describing and in March I went ahead with the sinus surgery despite lack of anything showing up on my CT scans. I'd also tried all the antibiotics, nasal sprays and steroids to no avail. Well - no luck. I was convinced it was sinus, but apparently not. After visits to every kind of doctor imaginable, they are convinced it's some kind of migraine disorder. And it's miserable, let me tell you. Go see a good neurologist before you resort to sinus surgery and see if anything works for you - they can try antiseizure medications such as depakote if traditional preventative medications such as immitrex don't work. I'm still trying to find something that works for me.

Old 09-30-2003, 02:49 PM   #4
    TexasJeep
    (male)

TexasJeep HB User
    That sounds like my symptoms. I would look for other causes before sinus surgery. I am at the point of trying anything. I tried sinus surgery last year. Came out with pneumonia but that wasn't too too big of a deal. I complained of drainage but didn't get any answers. We found out it was a cerebral fluid leak when I went in to the hospital with meningitis a month later. I didn't notice a difference from the surgery.

I always have a dull headache mainly on the sides. Ears are always full and always pop them. Also have fatigue and kind of a "out of it" feeling often.

Does it hurt more when you move your eyes around?
    Does your head ever feel like a weight on top of it and when you lean it to the side it feels heavier?

I am leaning towards bruxism right now. I don't grind my teeth but I feel clenched in my jaw a lot. It changes every few weeks though on what I think it is because I can't figure it out.

Old 10-01-2003, 04:37 AM   #5
    mbr22

mbr22 HB User
    Thanks for the replies everyone - I guess I will hold off on sinus surgery for now.

Yes, my symptoms sound very much like both of yours mek and texasjeep. If I move my eyes from side to side, they do really hurt. It feels as if my eyes want to bulge out of my head, the pain and constant pressure is so bad. It just really seems like it is sinus, but I guess the doctors have no idea.

In fact, the reason I was leaning toward sinus was because my symptoms are exactly like when you get a bad head cold, however it is a bad head cold of about 10 years now.

I also truly felt it was due to a TMJ disorder condition, but I have seen so many dentists, and tried so many different type of splints, repositioning splints, neuromuscular splints, etc., I have exhausted that treatment pathway. However, what other conditions can cause pain in the jaw besides a TMJ disorder? I do not clench or grind either, so the splints that prevent grinding/clenching (they take the stress off your TM joints), do nothing for me. Again however, all my symptoms started years ago after I had my wisdom teeth out, and I always wonder of the muscles/ligaments/tendons in my jaw just got permanently damaged (I was put under with Demerol during the surgery, and my jaw was really stretched wide for a long period of time).

I have already tried depakote, tricyclics, SSRI's (lexapro and effexor) and others to no avail. Even botox, which did nothing! Since none of the doctors can alleviate the pain, I really wish they could alleviate the pressure, blocked ears symptom.

What are your worst symptoms? I think I could handle things better if at least I could fix the chronic, constant daily pain and pressure around and behind my eyes - that is the worst for me. In fact, that feeling is there 24/7, 365 days a year! And yet, it isn't sinus related? How come when I get a cold, all my symptoms are exasberated 100 fold! Do you notice this Ė every time I swallow, my eardrums make a noise like a rubber band twinge. I canít believe all the ENTs I have seen can find nothing wrong with my inner ear area. It feels like all the muscles around my Eustachian tubes are swollen or something., causing the blocked, pressured feeling. However, all tests are normal as usual (hearing tests, CAT scans, sinus scans, and even tried tubes in my ears).

Do you guys also find that many doctors seem to just want to treat the symptoms and not the cause of the symptoms? That is idiotic to me. I will go to a pain clinic when I just want my symptoms treated! Do you know of what might be considered the best neurology clinic in the US?

Anyway, sorry, enough ranting for now, and thanks for any advice. I am just so fed up, tired and fatigued.

What all treatments have you both tried already, mek and texasjeep? What else are you considering?

mbr

[This message has been edited by mbr22 (edited 10-01-2003).]

Old 10-01-2003, 04:28 PM   #6
    LarLarz

LarLarz HB User
    Hi all. I posted the same exact thing about the rubber band sounds in another forum. My right ear is the main culprit and any time I try to do anything about it (drops, etc) I wind up with a sinus infection/pain. I feel absolutly HORRIBLE in the morning, and then usually after I get a shower I will feel better for a few hours. I have been to the ENT, allergist, had blood tests, ct scans and MRI's to no avail. My ear sounds like a combo of the rubber band stretching and this crackling thing. Only on one side though. I read on another site to try pinching my nose closed and swallowing a few times to pop it. I did that last night and I clearly felt something (wether it be air or fluid) moving around. It would clog completly to the point that I could not hear out of it. And then open back up a minute later on it's own. Also if I belch and keep my mouth closed I can feel the fluid or pressur move up in my ear. Yet the ENT said there is no fluid in my ears and the pressure is fine. The CT of my sinuses showed up clear as well. I wish I would have had them do an MRI of my ear. Maybe that would have showed something. The rubberand/crackling feeling is sounds like it is coming right from the side of my ear. My nose is also ALWAYS stuffed up on one side, my head is stuffed up on and off every day(which I call cement head) and my eyes always feel exhausted and I am many times off balance or dizzy. All of this also causes alot of anxiety. I guess depending on where the fluid/pressure is sitting in my ear, messing with my equalibrium. I ALWAYS feel tired. You described it well. A "head cold" 24/7. I have tried EVERYTHING. Meds, home remedies...etc. Not sure what else to do. My next step is going to be to try to quit smoking again and avoiding caffine and see if that helps at all. If anyone else has any ideas,,,please share them! Maybe we can all help each other out!

[This message has been edited by LarLarz (edited 10-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by LarLarz (edited 10-01-2003).]

Old 10-02-2003, 07:30 AM   #7
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    Some of the first things you need to do is add a good antioxidant supplement to your daily multivitamin routine to help keep your immune system healthy so you can get rid of the severe sinusitis. Also you should switch all of your cleaners to something enviromentally friendly as most cleaners have harsh chemicals in them that can add to the headaches and sinus problems. Be sure you use a very mild detergent for washing your clothes and bed linens and do not use a fabric softener unless it is a very mild hypoallergenic type softener. Once you get rid of the harsh chemicals and add the antioxidant supplement to your daily routine you will probably begin to feel much better as time goes on. I used to have problems with my sinus all the time and needed antibitotics 3-5 times a year and now haven't needed any for over 4 years since making sure I get my antioxidant supplement and use non toxic cleaners in my home etc.

Old 10-13-2003, 07:54 AM   #8
    Sophina

Sophina HB User
    I have migraines brought on by chemical exposure. I can't eat or breathe many chemicals. I have had three sinus surgerys so my nose doesn't swell shut. My nose stays clear, but I still have four day killer headaches if I am exposed to many chemicals. Only Imitrex shots relieves the pain at all.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:39 AM   #9
    susieq03

susieq03 HB User
    Dear MBR, Please don't have the surgery! I have never heard of sinus surgery when they couldn't find evidence of an infection. I had 3 sinus surgery,and feel as if the surgery really messed me up. Actually, sinus surgery can be very dangerous because the sinuses are very close to the brain, and if they did surgery and made a mistake, could cost you your life. I also suffered from similiar symptoms, and was treated for migraines for almost 10 years, with no help with meds, After a sinus surgery, started to have trouble with my vision, and was sent to a neurolgist, that did a spinal tap and found that I had Pseudocerebri. It is where you have too much fluid around your brain, and it causes pain and pressure. If I were you, I would go to a neurologist and have him do a spinal, to make sure. Pseudocerebri can cause blindness, so woudn't wait too long. GodBless,SusieQ

Old 10-14-2003, 04:24 PM   #10
    TexasJeep
    (male)

TexasJeep HB User
    mbr22,
    My eyes don't feel like they are going to bulge out of my head. Sounds like pressure from behind them. Mine feel like they are being squeezed closed.
    No rubber band noise for me but I can pop my ears over and over nonstop.
    I have a good article on TMJ disorder on my other computer. I will post it soon.
    I am also tired of the blocked ears and pressure. My symptoms are also every day all day.
    I completely agree about doctors treating symptoms. They seem to spend a decent amount of time with me but it is just to rule out anything serious and then I just leave with some medicine.

I have tried sinus surgery, all kinds of drugs, and allergy shots.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:44 PM   #11
    lola3142

lola3142 HB User
    Hello Everyone!

I'm new to this board but have read all your posts. I belive you have all been through much much more than myself, so I'll be the rookie here.

I have had constant 24/7 mild headaches and head pressure for 9 weeks. Aside from having my eyes checked (they are fine), I have done nothing medical. I've been trying the antioxidant route for 3 weeks now and the headaches have gone from a 4 to a 3 (with 10 being the worst). No relief on the head pressure which is focused in my foehead and eyes.

I have a severly deviated septum (10 years now) and I think that's where I'll start. I cannot breathe a breath through my right nostril.

My family doc is scheduling an MRI and I plan on seeing an ENT or Allegist. Having been so healthy for so long, this really makes me mad to have this. I sincerely hope the doctors I see take me seriously and don't belittle my problem. I have no problem telling someone how I feel.

I'm thankful to eveyone who writes what they're going through. We can all help each other in some way. Were all in this together and have a greater appreciation for our health which has now become a #1 priority in our lives.

Goodnight!

Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #12
    klionerg
    (male)

klionerg HB User
    Re: Chronic sinus type pain - but x-rays negative?

I have very similar symptoms with the exception of pain behind the eyes.

I too have tried the ENT's with no luck.

I noticed your post was from a few years ago, did you ever find an answer? If so, please share, I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.

GK

Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #13
    klionerg
    (male)

klionerg HB User

Has anyone tried Neorontin for these symptoms?

Old 12-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #14
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

I know the feeling of wanting to try anything. If you could come up with a good reason why - you could cram #2 pencils up my sinuses. We ALL want relief. But what are they going to operate on? I know that is frustrating, believe me I wish over and over that something SPECIFIC would show on an XRAY an MRI anything. I have documtented sinusits, neck problems, etc. But no DIAGNOSIS.

You have a real physical problem, but your biggest problem is the same as mine and many others - you present with symptoms that no doctor has been able to diagnose to a CAUSE.

I've tried many things in the "hope" they would help and they did not. I even contemplated 40,000 neck fusion. But the bottom line is - what are they treating? I'm worn out and it sounds like you are too.

You need to keep a journal of your problems, keep working on a list of symptoms - write it all down so you can show it to your doctors (who can remember everything at the time of the visit?). Then keep researching.

In the meantime you can work on an elimination diet, and do the most you can for your body to give yourself the best possible overall health. Thats my plan anyways, keep trying to stay as healthy as possible, keep reseraching, learn what I can from others in the forums, and hope someday it will self-resolve and the nightmare will be over. It came on suddenly for me, hopefully my problems will just resolve. What else can we do?

Closed Thread