It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Surgery tomorrow

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
    Positive Energy
    (female)

Positive Energy HB User
    Question Sinus Surgery tomorrow

HI
    I have to have a sinuplasty with a possible FESS tomorrow. I am wondering what I can expect recovery wise. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
    kittywake
    (female)

kittywake HB User
    Re: Sinus Surgery tomorrow

Sorry, I don't have any advice on that, but good luck anyways.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
    Positive Energy
    (female)

Positive Energy HB User

Thanks for the well wishes. It went well and recovery has been pretty easy

Old 02-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
    Liamsmom
    Inactive
    (female)

Liamsmom HB User

I may have to have my 6 yr old son have that surgery. What was the level of pain after wards? what was the reason for you're surgery? My son has recurring sinus infections he's on antibiotics every 4 - 8 weeks was your situation similar. Do you feel the surgery was worth it?

I'm sorry for all the questions I've never had surgery except oral and I'm frightened about the possibility of my son having surgery.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

I'm not the one who originally posted but have had the surgery and can tell you that the level of pain is not that bad - kind of a persistent headache for a couple of days but that's about it.

Before you worry too much about that though has your son had a CT scan? And, has he had any other possible underlying causes (like allergies) treated?

The surgery itself will only help if physical blockages of his sinuses are causing the sinus infections - if there's something else going on surgery won't make much difference - the doctor will have to get a CT scan to see if his sinuses are blocked or excessively narrowed.

If it does come to surgery I would strongly recommend that you find an ENT who deals with chronic sinus disease (which most office based ENTs don't) - probably at a university medical center or teaching hospital to do the surgery - the surgery is much less invasive and conservatively done now than it was even 10 years ago - finding a doctor who is very current with the latest techniques will make a huge difference.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I have found the sinus procedures to be very painful and took me awhile to recover. However, each surgery is different and most of it depends on how extensive the surgery is. A simple rinoplasty isn't bad ....A headache for a couple of days and some black eyes.

Sinus surgery is a different matter. I had polyps (upside down mushroom shaped) removed and a re-routing of drainage areas. The polyps are cut off with a laser or a cutting tool and can't be stitched....They just have to scar over and this is why you see people with "drip pads" under their noses. The wounds will bleed for about a week or so. Very, very painful.

The re-routing of sinus drains aren't as painful as the polyps. Depending on your situation, they drill and cut new paths. This procedure can usually have a big effect (positive) in breathing, drainage & etc. I would advise against the polyp removal unless they are blocking key areas. All that new scar tissue creates problems down the road and of course, cutting all the polyps exposes nerve endings & etc.

As a general rule, I think anytime you get your head operated on, it's more painful than other parts of the body. Pain control following nose/sinus surgery is crucial and I'd be very open with the Doc about his/her philosophy. Blood flow to the head, and especially the sinuses, is poor, thus, healing takes much longer. It's VERY IMPORTANT to not try to do too much for a couple weeks after surgery to avoid bleeding & etc.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

My experience with surgery to remove polyps was very different from what Executor describes. There was very little bleeding after the surgery (my doctor uses some packing that he removes before I leave the hospital to stop the bleeding), and I only had to wear a drip pad until the morning of the day after surgery.

My ENT doesn't let the place where the polyps are removed "scar over" - just the opposite in fact, I had to go back 4 times after the surgery so that he could remove the scabs that formed to prevent scar tissue from forming and make sure that the mucus membranes in my sinuses healed correctly.

As for the pain, polyps are fluid-filled sacs that develop in the mucus membranes of your sinuses so they're not very deep - and there are very few nerve ending in your sinuses, so the pain was minimal. I took Tylenol 3 (with codeine) for the first 48 hours and then regular Tylenol after that for a couple of days and was fine (I did miss 5 days of work because they want you to take it easy and minimize the risk of getting a cold).

Unfortunately, I've had the surgery 4 times over 15 years because polyps don't resolve themselves (and leaving them would be a huge mistake), it's not much fun but it's really not that terrible.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hi Smith- Yes, it sounds as if yours was vastly different from mine. My ENT also packed me and did the scab removal as you described. However, my sinuses bled on and off for about a week. My ENT said all polyp removals scar over (pulling scabs helps cut down on scaring, but any cut you pick the scab off over and over will scar) because it can't be stitched. He said one reason that it is so painful is because you have an open wound exposed to air and contaminants. Whereas a regular cut with a scalpel is stitched afterwards and the wound is sealed. I had a lot of surrounding tissue removed, thus, my entire sinus cavity is very sensitive. I even had a "embeded" infection that had to be "peeled" out. Ahhhhhhh!

How often do you have to have the polyps removed? I'm assuming they are the result of allergies.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
    naklang
    (male)

naklang HB User

These are both very different from my experience as well. I had Tonsilectomy, endoscopic sinus, and septoplasty at the same time. I had a fair amount of bleeding in the first post-op hours, but went home within 3 hours of waking up. My ENT's instructions were to inhale saline solution into the sinuses every few hours to flush out the blood and other nasties to prevent them from crusting up and blocking drainage etc. I did this religiously and after a few days, what came out was basically clear. No packing was used at all. Free to breathe and drain out.

7 days after surgery, I went back to him and he removed the stents used to keep the newly created sinus drainage open during healing. I asked him how things looked during surgery and he said I "had polyps up the ying-yang" and he removed them all. He did give me a black left eye during the surgery because he said the bone was thin there from chronic inflammation/sinusitis etc. That was almost 5 years ago and have not had another problem at all. My breathing is 200% improved. Should have done it years earlier.

Overall, the pain was nowhere near as bad as some have made it out to be. But it seems the difference is which and how much pain meds the doc is willing to give. If you have a conservative one who is worried about the DEA, then you are in for a rough time. Request some liquid oxyfast or oxycontin every 12 hours for the first week and it should take the edge off pretty quick. Vicodin is a joke for this procedure.

Last edited by naklang; 02-10-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

I would agree that Vicoden is a joke this kind of surgery. For what it's worth, I have a woman friend who had this procedure and she said her sinus and nose surgery was MUCH worse than childbirth. In fact, her words were "childbirth is a walk in the park compared to sinus surgery." As a male, I obviously haven't had any children, but I can say that it was two weeks of h*ll. I had to stay one night and had to have shots of Demerol ever 4-6 hours. Once I got home, 2 percs every 4 hours took the edge off. My head hurt so bad, that the air coming out of the AC ducts was too loud! Had headaches for upwards of a month. Nasty stuff, that's for sure. As I said earlier, anytime you have your head operated on, it's not easy.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
    naklang
    (male)

naklang HB User

Wow. That sounds really bad. I can't believe they sent me home that soon. I guess I was either really lucky, or my surgeon did things much different. He was supposed to be one of the best, but I guess it really depends on what the find when they get in there. He knew it was ugly from the CT scan, so I was prepared for the worst. He did not do turbinate reduction, so maybe that is why it wasnt so bad. I can understand how it could be like childbirth if they actually remove large amounts of tissue along with the polyps. Luckily, they didnt do that to me.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
    helgadog
    (female)

helgadog HB User
    Re: Sinus Surgery friday

hello all,
    I am scheduled for sinus surgery friday. this will be my second in 5 years. First one was awful they had to correct my deviated septum etc. However i had 5 blissful years of no headaches. Now the headaches are back I always feel like i have a cold. Now they say let's do surgery again. This time to remove polyps, tissue remove envolving the maxillary, sphenoid, frontal and ethmoid. also resection of inferior turbinates and last but not least the new pillar implant for my horrific snoring. Has any one had anything close to this the procedure sounds scary ex. bilateral endoscopy total ethmoidectomy, bilateral endoscopic maxillary antrostomy with tissue removal. I have researched it online but it is so hard to really get to the grit of it . Any replies will be appprecitated./
    helgadog

Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #13
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Yes, I have. I've had 3 surgeries overall, and I don't mean to scare you but you asked the question....Wished I hadn't had ANY of them. Started out with a deviated septum and some minor sinus stuff. Then, had polyps removed a couple years later and some drainage modifications, as well as turbinate reduction / elimination. My third surgery was more polyp removal, more drainage modification, and the removal of an embedded infection that wouldn't really heal....Felt good on antibiotics and then once off them, the infection slowly returned.

I know every case is different, and maybe I'm just very unlucky, but now I'm in a pain mgt program and take heavy doses of meds due to chronic face / sinus pain as well as very bad headaches. IMO, once they start drilling and taking tissue out, things are never the same. In my case, they peeled too much tissue out and did some minor nerve damage. Of course, when they start peeling tissue out and etc., you invariably become much more sensitive to things such as allergies, colds, perfumes, cold air, & etc. You also develop scar tissue which leads to all sorts of complications down the road. For me, a normal cold or flu feels like someone cuts on me with a scalpel. The headaches sometimes can be unbearable.

I was having more sinus trouble last year, and the ENT sent me for an MRI just to make sure nothing major was going on and during the scan, the radiologist asked if I've had surgery before because she could see all kinds of scar tissue. Not a good sign, IMO.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you asked the question, so I thought I would reply. I'd make sure you know EXACTLY what's going on and I'd be very clear with the surgeon in terms of your questions & etc. Once they go in and do all those procedures, there is no turning back. Sounds like you have chronic sinus problems and probably will battle them your entire life. Some of it is hereditary....The rest is symptomatic of your area of the world (allergies, pollution, & etc)...some areas are much worse than others.

Good luck and please report back at some point on how the procedure(s) go. I'm probably just the unlucky one.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Sorry, but I forgot to mention that make sure you have a good understanding with your Doc about pain control, because you're gonna need it after surgery. My head hurt so bad, the air coming out of the air/heat ducts was too loud!! I wanted to get up and smash it with a baseball bat. I bring this up because some Docs are funny about this stuff. It took me about 3-4 months of pain meds....Can't exactly remember. I stayed overnight in the hospital for one night and was administered Demerol until I left....Then went on percs every 4 hours. You'll need to keep ahead of the pain....If you wait too long, you can't shake it.

The chronic headaches kicked in later and the ENT eventually referred me over to a pain clinic. He treated the pain for a while. Great guy and a caring Doc, but just a surgery (or two) gone bad.

Good luck and I hope everything goes ok.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:39 AM   #15
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Has any one had anything close to this the procedure sounds scary ex. bilateral endoscopy total ethmoidectomy, bilateral endoscopic maxillary antrostomy with tissue removal. I have researched it online but it is so hard to really get to the grit of it
    I've had sinus surgery 4 times, including exactly the procedures you mention, and have a couple of thoughts. First of all, unlike Executor, I'm glad I had them and I never had any significant pain after any of the four - I took Tylenol 3 for 2-3 days then regular Tylenol as needed and other than missing a couple of days of work, had very few problems.

I'm incredibly fortunate to have found a truly world class ENT who did the last two and he sent me home the same day as the surgery with no packing after I left the hospital.

Executor does mention one of the key problems you have to be aware of - scar tissue. Ask your doctor what he/she will do in terms of follow up. If the doctor doesn't have you come back 3-4 times to remove "crusts" (scabs that form after the surgery) - the official name for the procedure is debridement - then FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR. Removing the crusts helps minimize the scar tissue that forms after the procedure but some office-based ENTs don't have the time to do the follow up (the follow up visits arent' fun, so save some pain pills and take them 30 minutes before the follow up - have someone drive you to the appointment).

I would also ask your doctor why he/she is resecting your turbinates and how much tissue they're going to remove - taking out too much turbinate tissue can cause problems and should be done conservatively.

The other thing that will be key is your follow up regimen. You'll need to do some kind of saline rinses for a while to help get the junk out of your sinuses - usually they have you start this a few days after surgery. If your doctor doesn't recommend some kind of saline rinse I'd consider looking for another doctor. I always recommend that people who are going back for a second round of surgery try to find a doctor who really specializes in treating chronic sinus problems (at a University or major medical center).

Conservative surgery and aggressive follow up are really important to having a successful long-term result.

Closed Thread