It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Allergies or sinus infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
    KeltoKel
    Inactive
    (female)

KeltoKel HB User
    Allergies or sinus infection?

I am confused and could use some advice.

For two weeks, I have had awful sinus headaches. The one day it was so bad that I was in tears. THe pressure between my eyes hurts like crazy.

Now I am starting to experience a sore throat and swollen glands. My left ear has been hurting off and on as well. I am also very tired. I feel like I can't get enough rest.

My mother thinks it is allergies so I have been taking Clariton D. However, the allergy meds say that it treats runny nose, itching eyes, cough, etc. I don't have any of these symptoms.

I am wondering if this is a sinus infection. I can't tell the difference between the two.

I live in PA and the weather is getting warmer, but it isn't spring here yet. I don't know why my allergies would be acting like this if that is what is going on.

Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
    KDD 26
    (female)

KDD 26 HB User
    Re: Allergies or sinus infection?

I think a trip to the doctor would help to decide if it allergies or a sinue infection. If it is allergies they might be able to prescribe something because they sound really bad. Have you tried an over-the-counter sinus medicine. If that relieves your discomfort than it is a problem with your sinuses. I just got over a sinus infection with a horrible headache and my left ear did start to hurt after a while. Swollen glands could mean an infection. Like I said take a trip to your doctor. They will be able to help you more.

Feel better
    KDD

Old 03-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
    KeltoKel
    Inactive
    (female)

KeltoKel HB User

Thank you KDD. I have taken Advil cold and sinus as well but like the ClaritonD, it doesn't seem to treat what I need it to. I always thought allergies were stuffy or runny noses and sneezing. I haven't had any of that.

I have also been doing saline rinses in my nose and that seemed to help the ear a bit. It is now my throat that is bothering me. It's been a long couple of weeks. I think I will make a dr. appmt. tomorrow.

Last edited by KeltoKel; 03-16-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Generally speaking, if the mucous from your nose is clear in color, then it's allergies. If it is green/yellow, then it's an infection.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

Have you tried irrigation? This last infection i finally started using a neti pot. You can get one at CVS for about $15 and it has 20 packets in the box to start with. It made a HUGE difference in the pain that i was feeling in my cheeks and forhead.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User

I had the same trouble about a month ago. I assumed because I was packing and cleaning that it was allergies due to stirred up dust and such. After a week of terrible sinus pressure I too started to get a sour throat, a cough and my ear hurt. I finally went to the doctor because I was too tired to do anything and it turned out I had a sinus infection, bronchitis, and the start of an ear infection.

If this were your son you already would have taken him to the doctor so get your butt to one and figure out what's wrong. There are so many illnesses out there this year and the last thing you want is for your son to get sick too.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
    KeltoKel
    Inactive
    (female)

KeltoKel HB User

I have been using saline in my nose and that did relieve the pressure in the ear, which I thought was interesting. The sore throat comes and goes. I am taking Motrin and that helps it.

I made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow morning. However, has anyone seen the news lately? I read last week about a study that indicated that antibiotics do not work on sinus infections and how doctors don't want to prescribe them anymore when it comes to sinuses. Bummer!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
    paul7224
    (male)

paul7224 HB User

It is possible that you started with an allergy and it developed into a sinus infection. I suffered allergies all my life, and at times the only way I could breath was to use a 12 hour nose spray like Afrin. I was so bad, that it would only clear my sinuses for about 2 hours. The problem with using sprays like Afrin is that it irritates and swells your sinuses, causing a sinus infection itself. It becomes a vicous cycle.

Closed Thread