It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• sinus operation does it work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
    bunnynose
    (female)

bunnynose HB User
    sinus operation does it work?

I am going in for a sinus operation to make the drainage of my sinuses bigger, has anyone had this done before and does it help, I have had this for years now, pain in the face, nose blocked, fever, tired all the time, anyone suffer from this also? Please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
    sickofpain2
    Veteran
    (female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User
    Re: sinus operation does it work?

I have had sinus surgery and helped breifly.

Then after another year-2 yrs or so of suffering with infections all of the time, I insisted on allergy testing and found out I was highly allergic to many things that was causing me constant sickness. (Your body does not heal when you develope allergies). I have been getting 5 shots every 4 weeks or so for years. I started with weekly shots and increased it by 1 week every 6-8 months and now will be getting shots for rest of my life every month. Even now if I am exposed to molds, dust, pollens, and cat and dog--I pay dearly. But at least I know what it is and what to look for. Infections aren't near as bad as they were, but when I get sinus infection, it really makes me sick.

Do you know if you have allergies?

I would say if you have a good ent dr, and they think enlarging draining of sinus will help, you should be ok. I was in and out of hospital in 24 hours. Some people bruise, but I do not think I did at all.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
    apocalypto22
    (female)

apocalypto22 HB User

hi,this is my third time so far with sinus infection,I don't know what to do,been on antibiotics,keeps returning.I don't feel well most of the time,never had this when I was younger

Old 03-29-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bunnynose View Post
    I am going in for a sinus operation to make the drainage of my sinuses bigger, has anyone had this done before and does it help, I have had this for years now, pain in the face, nose blocked, fever, tired all the time, anyone suffer from this also? Please help
    The surgery can help a lot but Sickofpain2 is right - it's not a cure all for sinus problems, and successful surgery depends on several things. Before you have the sinus surgery, here are a couple of things to consider:

1. Has everything medically been done to address the underlying cause of your sinus problem? If you have allergies they need to be addressed or the surgery will only be a temporary fix. There are lots of medical options, including allergy shots, saline irrigation, short courses of prednisone, steroid nasal sprays, antihistamines, etc. - if your doctor hasn't tried those things to get the underlying cause of your problems under control, the surgery may only be a temporary fix.

2. Has your doctor done a CT scan to see exactly what needs to be done? Find out exactly what the doctor is planning to do, how much tissue he/she is going to remove? Ask if he/she is planning to remove part of the turbinates too. The best approach is to remove as little tissue as possible to restore natural function (and to remove little or no turbinate tissue) - you don't want an aggressive surgeon - removing too much tissue can cause more problems than it solves.

3. Find out what type of post-surgical follow up the doctor has planned? It's very important that the doctor schedule multiple follow up visits in the weeks after surgery to remove any scabs that can turn into scar tissue - it usually takes 3-4 visits to remove all of the scabs.
    Sinus surgery can be very tricky and really requires an ENT/Surgeon who specializes in treating chronic sinus disease, not just performing surgery - be sure your doctor really knows what he/she is doing, has done everything medically possible before choosing surgery and has a clear plan for follow up to minimize scarring and make it successful.

Good Luck.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
    Marlenie1955
    (female)

Marlenie1955 HB User

Currently having a long standing sinus infection myself after a cold.. not chronic problem - i caused some of it unwittingly by taking too much sudafed for too long (i followed directions but it was too much for me - i am sensitive to it) and steroid spray - i now have a lot of excoraiated bleeding areas in my nose and was told to use saline nasal wash twice daily.... Started reading about this and ("NETI POTS"). Apparently people in India have done this for thousands of years as part of daily hygiene. MY ENT told me to do it. Seems to me I would try this first before I would have surgery.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Definitely worth trying but I'd recommend a SinusRinse bottle over a neti pot (SinusRinse is available at every major drugstore chain) - it gets more of the saline up into the sinus cavities and does a better job of getting the junk out of your sinuses You might also try Rhinocort AQ (if you haven't already), it's a little milder than some of the other steroid sprays because it's water-based and doesn't contain the preservative benzalkonium chloride

Last edited by gcsjr; 04-01-2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: grammar

Closed Thread