It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus - Chronic Daily Headache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
    Pam44
    (female)

Pam44 HB User
    Sinus - Chronic Daily Headache

Could 2 cysts in the maxillary sinus cause migraines? My son's neurologist feels they might and it would be worthwhile to have my son's adnenoids and the cysts removed but the ENT doctor doesn't believe they are the cause. I also wondered if anyone here has had their sinuses widened with the surgery. I read it's sort of a new trial surgery they are doing to widen the sinuses. About 50% of the people who underwent the surgery, who had narrow sinuses, got rid of the migraines completely and the other people in the study did get some reduction in frequency of migraines.
    Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User
    Re: Sinus - Chronic Daily Headache

How old is your son? Have they verified that there is no infection just the cyst/polyp? I've been irrigating with a neti pot for about three months now and that has significantly reduced my daily pain. I started keeping a journal a little over a year ago and realized that most of the pain i was feeling at work was from the dry air. Irrigating at work has helped alleviate this.

good luck

Old 05-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
    jessielaine
    (female)

jessielaine HB User
    Re: Sinus - Chronic Daily Headache

I don't know if this will help you but here goes. I broke my nose at age 8. They always told me I would have to have it rebroken and have another septoplasty at adulthood due to growth. I opted to not have it done the summer after graduating HS b/c I wanted to have fun. Well, needless to say by 17 I was taking Tylenol sinus H/A meds, advil or whatever i could get my hands on to relieve the sinus pressure and pain. By 19, they got increasingly worse. I began to get dizzy with them, vomiting, and had this intense dry burning inside the L upper nasal bone and massive pressure behind the L eye. Sometimes I just wished my eye would pop out and I spent many hours with ice packs, hot packs, anything to try to stop the pain. I didn't have insurance but I paid to see my family doc anyways, xrays never showed infection but I kept being prescribed and taking antibiotics for weeks on end. The pain got so bad that my neck began to spasm from the stress so they started giving me meds for tension headache's, didn't work at all. Then they just started giving me pain shots in my Hip when I came in feeling like I was going to die. Then the nurses started treating me like I was just a drug seeker. I quit going to the doctor and just suffered with it and took ibuprofen for pain. I graduated college and got insurance again and finally decided to see a real ENT. GOD SEND!!!! I went for a consult to have the septoplasty thinking it might have something to do with the pain. Again, he gave me a strong antibiotic and flonase to take for 2 weeks to kill any possible infection and reduce inflammation b/f he did a CT scan. We did the CT scan exactly 2 weeks to the day and it just so happened I had a terrible headache that day. After the CT he told me I had a HUGE bone spur growing off of the old fracture line that was coming into contact with my septum. He dipped a q-tip in Marcaine (a topical anesthetic) and applied it to the area where the spur came into contact with the septum. INSTANT RELIEF! We did a surgery to remove the spur and correct the septum. 2 years later, totally free from this type of debilitating headache! What I had is called contact headaches. If your son's cysts are coming into contact with surrounding walls of the maxillary sinus, it could cause pain mimicking a migraine. I don't know alot about maxillary cysts and occurrence of contact headaches with them, but it is worth a shot to look into it. My life has drastically changed b/c of it.

Closed Thread