It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Had Endoscopic Sinus Surgery,Septoplasty And Turbinate Reduction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
    Texagrl
    (female)

Texagrl HB User
    Had Endoscopic Sinus Surgery,Septoplasty And Turbinate Reduction

had endoscopic sinus surgery,septoplasty and radiofrequency reduction of turbinates on april 9th..had the packing taking out..im going tonight to get splints removed..the worst feeling im feeling right now is this general sick feeling extreme headache with like a warmth feeling but no temperature..just wanna know what others with the same surgeries experienced the first week or 2

Last edited by Texagrl; 04-14-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
    dday416
    (female)

dday416 HB User
    Re: Had Endoscopic Sinus Surgery,Septoplasty And Turbinate Reduction

I am having Endoscopic Sinus Surgery,Septoplasty And Turbinate Reduction as well as a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy on Wednesday 4/16. Please if you would, update with how you are feeling, as I am not sure what to think with having this all done at one time. I will let you know how I am feeling after Wednesday.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

I think you'll start to feel better pretty quickly now - I've had a couple of different sinus surgeries and was back to about 90% on day 7 - still had to irrigate pretty actively to make sure things kept healing/draining correctly but I was always back at work feeling better than before the surgery within a week.

Everyone is different - I never had any headaches after the surgeries (but I never had a deviated septum) - but it definitely takes several days to get back to feeling normal.

Hang in there.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
    Texagrl
    (female)

Texagrl HB User

when you say irrigate did you just spray into your nasal passages or did you actually use a netipot or something similar so it went in one nostril and out the other?

Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

By irrigation I mean getting a larger volume of liquid up into my sinuses to rinse out any debris or mucus (not just the saline spray). My doctor recommended a SinusRinse bottle - you can get one at any major drug store - I think it's more effective than a neti pot at getting saline up into your sinuses because you can squeeze it (gently) rather than having to rely solely on gravity.

The SinusRinse kits come with instructions and pre-measured packets of salt/baking soda that are very convenient.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
    Texagrl
    (female)

Texagrl HB User

im using ocean nasal spray

Old 04-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I'd definitely recommend trying a SinusRinse bottle or Neti Pot. The Ocean spray contains two preservatives - benzyl alcohol and benzalkonium chloride - that can actually irritate your sinuses, and the volume of spray is really only enough to moisturize the tissues, not wash out any mucus or dried blood.

The SinusRinse bottle should allow you to get more liquid up there and make sure your sinuses heal completely - is the doctor planning to remove the crusts that form after surgery anytime soon?

Old 04-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
    Texagrl
    (female)

Texagrl HB User

i got some cleaning yesterday and going back next wed

Old 04-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
    Texagrl
    (female)

Texagrl HB User

the only thing with the pot is i worry that water is going to get in my ears..is there any descriptive directions on how to use the pot right and to insure that doesnt happen..i think it cause fluid in my ears when i tried it months ago

Old 04-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I can't help you there but, now that you've had the surgery your sinuses should drain much better - hopefully the liquid will drain right out and won't be able to get trapped in your sinuses and ears.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
    Texagrl
    (female)

Texagrl HB User

i tried the netti pot..and it definatly got more junk lose had blood coming loose and splitting it out sorry for being graphic...hours later crusts reforms lol i think maybe ill continue with the spray and maybe do the pot once a day

Closed Thread