It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Surgery,Septoplasty And Turbinate Reduction as well as a tonsillectomy!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
    dday416
    (female)

dday416 HB User
    Unhappy Sinus Surgery,Septoplasty And Turbinate Reduction as well as a tonsillectomy!

Endoscopic Sinus Surgery,Septoplasty And Turbinate Reduction as well as a tonsillectomy! on Wednesday 4/16. Please tell me this is not going to be as bad as I am fearing! I know people who have had each of these things done seperatly, but have yet to talk to anyone who has had all of them done in one surgery. People have said that the worst part will be the tonsils. I have been having nightmares that I can't breathe. I am worried about the stints and packing up my nose, and not wanting to breathe from my mouth. Anyone have any encouragement/suggestions?

Last edited by dday416; 04-14-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
    Texagrl
    (female)

Texagrl HB User
    Re: Sinus Surgery,Septoplasty And Turbinate Reduction as well as a tonsillectomy!

well i just had the first 3 this past wed..find out though what kind of reudction ofr the turbinates some are safer then others...the first week will proably be miserable..im still in pain just had my splints removed 2 hours ago..had packing removed the day after that was one of the worst feelings ever..in the long run im hoping to get relief hopefully not to much more pain..make sure your going to have regular follow ups for cleaning of blood and crusts and dont be affraid to ask questions if u have nay questions for me please ask as i am still going through recovery

Old 04-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
    badnose12
    (female)

badnose12 HB User
    Re: Sinus Surgery,Septoplasty And Turbinate Reduction as well as a tonsillectomy!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dday416 View Post
    Endoscopic Sinus Surgery,Septoplasty And Turbinate Reduction as well as a tonsillectomy! on Wednesday 4/16. Please tell me this is not going to be as bad as I am fearing! I know people who have had each of these things done seperatly, but have yet to talk to anyone who has had all of them done in one surgery. People have said that the worst part will be the tonsils. I have been having nightmares that I can't breathe. I am worried about the stints and packing up my nose, and not wanting to breathe from my mouth. Anyone have any encouragement/suggestions?
    I'm wondering how you are doing??

Old 04-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
    dday416
    (female)

dday416 HB User

Thank you so much for asking, truth is it has been quite an interesting experience! All was going as planned until the "morning after". Thursday morning I began having a terrible pain behind my eyes and lots of pressure. I was not seeing straight at all. I called my doc, and was seen right away. My packing and stints were immediately removed, and it was discovered that there was pressure extending into my orbital socket. I was given IV antibiotics and IV steroid to quikly reduce the swelling in my orbital cavity. I then was taken for a CT scan to check for any bony structure defect from the surgery. There was no infection present, and no sign of any permenat damage. I was to be admitted for the night for observation. We decided to be seen by a local opthomologist, and he further confirmed that there was no permenant damage, just lots of swelling in the cavity. This was all a reprocussion of the sinus surgery. The tonsillectomy has gone pretty smoothly. I am not too sure if I would want to to them together all over. The thing is, if one doesn't hurt, the other one does. There is lots of tightness right now with both of them. The tightness is actually a sign of healing which is good, but ouch! I have been married to my hydrocodone. I do back for a follow up tommorrow, and hope to see what my other options are for pain management. I really don't want to have to go through withdrawl. I will update again tommorrow, now that I am somewhat aware to be updating.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I must say that you have an aggressive surgeon....As you said in your first post, not many have gone through all of those procedures at once. I had the same three sinus/nose surgeries, but not the tonsils. Sinus/nose surgery can be a real bear, that's for sure. Sounds like you're on the downward slope.

As for pain mgt, there isn't any alternative....This surgery is really painful, and unless one has an unbelievable tolerance for pain, narcotics are a necessity. Most are given Oxycodone (Percs) so the fact that you've gotten by on Hydro is good. As long as you don't take them for more than about a month, you should be fine. In fact, your body will respond well once you stop. If necessary, you could always taper, but I seriously doubt that will be necessary.

Good luck and hope you feel better.

Ex

Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
    dday416
    (female)

dday416 HB User

Thank you so much for your response. It is good to know I probably won't have to worry about being reliant upon the drugs. I have started really increasing my dosage time. Everyday seems to be a little better. I was wondering though, did you have a lot of clotting coming down the back of the throat? My doc told me to do afrin and lots of saline spray to keep the nose area moist. When I sleep it seems to be the worst, as I am feeling almost chocked by the thick mucous in the back of my throat. I was also wondering if my voice sounding very nasaly will change? I don't know if it is because I am not talking from my throat but more from my nose? Also, when did you start feeling like you had more energy and less dizzy?

Anyway thanks again for your response, it is nice to have a network who is going, or has gone through the same thing. Good to know I am not the only one!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Yes, I had lots of mucus.....It's the body's response to the trauma (surgery)....Sinus surgery takes a loooonnnng time to fully heal. Patients get back to 80% or so pretty quickly, but the last 20-25% takes a good while. Over time, all these other issues will go away.

I'd be careful of the Afrin due to dependance issues and the "rebound effect." You might want to ask you Doc about some type of decongestant with guafanesin. It would help you "thin" things out. I'd also drink lots of water.

Hope you feel better.

Ex

Closed Thread