It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• optic neuritis and sinus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
    jdn5764
    (female)

jdn5764 HB User
    optic neuritis and sinus

Has anyone had a bout of optic neuritis due to sinus issues. I'd be interested to know as my Dr is adamant that vision is not affected by any means by as he put it simple sinuses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
    Re: optic neuritis and sinus

Hi, jdn. I'm not going to say it's impossible but if it's really Optic Neuritis, chances are that your doctor is correct and it's not due to sinues. I asked my ENT the same thing. If you need more information about ON, I'm happy to help if I can.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
    jdn5764
    (female)

jdn5764 HB User

what I'm experiencing is pain in the bend of my eyebrow, and pain in the corner of my eye, (where the blob is) eye is dry.
    The vision in my right eye is lazy.
    The eye affected is my left.
    It seems as if the middle part of my eye has shut off, and its like I've come in from the sun into a darker room and you get a dark spot but that is yet again in the middle near my nose.
    Another thing I;ve noticed if I hold something away I can see it all, but as I bring it nearer, it start to disappear in the middle, its really hard to explain. My eye feels as if its moved towards my nose, but it looks straight.
    As the days go by I'm getting worried in case I'm never going to see properly again and how I'm going to cope seeing as I do I just don't know.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdn, if you tell me a little bit more about your situation I might be able to help more. How long you've had this, who dxed you with ON, what type of doctors you've seen and what tests you've had done...

HAVE you been dxed with ON or do you just think you might have it? I'm familiar with this condition because I have.

Last edited by Bearygood; 05-10-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
    jdn5764
    (female)

jdn5764 HB User

The pain in the bend of my eye started January, it then progressed to a swollen eyelid, which went dark brown. Then the tissues around my eye, including the pink blob in the corner started to swell.
    I then started to get black out of vision, like I had a blind spot infront of my face. My eye feels as if it has turned towards my nose. The vision towards my nose seems to be not so open as it used to be (hard to explain but I know something isn't right as when I go out I feel odd - never had that before this started).
    after two months of being told by my gp that he had no idea what it was I paid privately to see an eye specalist. He did a field test by wiggling his fingers around (it looked very dark to me - which I told him). He then put drops in my eyes and did the slit lamp thing.
    He said he couldnt see anything wrong with my eye and most probably it was due to the sinuses. But its nearly two months on from now.
    What I don't like is that, its like I'm sun blinded in the middle of my face, I also have a weighty feeling in the bend of my eyebrow. I had an ct scan and it shows that I have mucousal thickening in the nasolacrimal sac, and also mild in the left sphenoid sinus and a cyst in the maxaillary sinus. AS the eye department retained my folder, the ent have yet to refer me for a check up agan.
    I phoned the eye specalist and he said he still thinks its sinus related as he put it "stabbing in the blind" ( now wondering if he is any good).
    i just can't explain the odd vision, when I go to bed I have this horrible sensation like i'm looking in a black hole, yet its like a light (thats the hardest to explain).
    So NO I haven't been dx'd as having ON, but I'm wondering as I;ve had such odd vision which is worrying me because my other eye is lazy.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for clarifying. The more I read about what you're experiencing, I wondered if that was the case.

jdn, while sx of Optic Neuritis CAN vary, yours really don't sound like it at all. I'm curious why you're using that term... Anyway, since ON is most frequently indicative of an underlying neurological disorder, I hope the prospect of not having it is good news for you.

On another front, sinus problems CAN cause visual distortion, depending upon what sinuses are affected. I have a long conversation about this with my ENT because I had a sinus infection when I was dxed with ON (and, BTW, MS). (However, in regard to ON it is not impossible but highly unusual.)

I would definitely go to see the ENT and if it's still a mystery, I would go see a different ophthalmologist. If by any chance it IS neurological (there are many eye conditions that are neurological in nature besides ON) a good ophthalmologist will know to make the referral to a neuro-op who will probably order an MRI.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
    jdn5764
    (female)

jdn5764 HB User

Thanks for replying.
    I;m off to my own Dr on Wednesday, as he isn't happy about how I;ve really "NOT" been treated. I've had no treatment for anything as yet. 4 months I've been like this.
    I'm finding it very hard to cope day to day, as if feels as if my eye has moved out of line alittle, (similair to when you have banged your head and it knocks your eyes out of line).
    I thought it might be ON as my vision has switched off and gone very blurred. I don't know how much longer I can carry on like this.
    I used to be very active, do lots of craft work, and drive here there and everywhere, I feel as if I have lost my hobbies, my independance and most of all my life.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, I'm not going to say it's impossible but it doesn't sound like a classic case and if it is ever attributed to sinus issues, it would be incredibly rare. It's most often a symptom of a neurological disorder although there are a few other things that can cause it as well.

However, sinus issues can definitely cause visual disturbances. I am glad you're going back to the doctor. Definitely sounds like you need a GOOD ophthalmologist! They will let you know if you should be referred to a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Closed Thread