It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Anyone get a sinus/chest infection from not taking Nexium?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
    mole76
    (male)

mole76 HB User
    Anyone get a sinus/chest infection from not taking Nexium?

Hi, I have been on Nexium for a few years for GERD. The last 2 times I had a Endoscope I was told things look good, so I stopped taking the Nexium. I did read that you can get sinus infections from Acid Reflux, but I am not having the typical heartburn symptoms. Anyways I have had a sinus infection, and or lung infection for 2 months. I have been on 2 different antibiotics with no relief, actually I feel worse. My main symptoms are heavy chest feeling, constant phlegm that is sometimes greenish, and a rattling feeling in my lungs the first few hours of the day...that is when the phlegm is more greenish looking.

I cannot afford to take a bunch of time off of work, but this is getting really old! I am going to start taking my Nexium again tonight, I cannot take it in the morning because of my thyroid meds and anti-biotics. If anyone has any advice or similar problem please let me know. I cannot take this much longer, I need help and the doctors just seem to push different meds on me with no relief. Thanks for your help!
    Mole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User
    Re: Anyone get a sinus/chest infection from not taking Nexium?

I am sorry for your suffering - I have a couple of thoughts....

First of all - maybe even though you do not feel the reflux it is happening (especially when you sleep at night) and splashing into your lungs causing an infection. This happened to me and I got a bad bout of bronchitis from it that lasted almost a month.

If the medications are not helping it could be because you keep refluxing into your lungs and so the medicine is fighting a losing battle. I think its a good idea to go back on the Nexium for a while to see if that helps. You may be suffering from 'silent reflux' or rebound severe reflux from going off the Nexium.

Also look into your environement and other medications that you are taking - perhaps that is causing your problem.

I hope you find your answer and RELIEF SOON.

Vanessa

Old 05-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
    mole76
    (male)

mole76 HB User

Thanks Vannesa, I started taking it again last night. The more I read about it, the more I think you maybe right. I was just hoping to not have to be on Nexium forever. Hopefully taking it again will help, I know it cannot do anymore harm! I did find alot of writings about the connection between Gerd and sinus/lung infections supporting the fact that the acid can reach the lungs and cause such trouble. I hope I will be able to respond with good news soon, this is getting annoying! Thanks again,
    Mole

Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Mole,

I hope the Nexium gives you QUICK relief. I know what you mean about not wanting to be on the Meds forever. I am on Prevacid and want OFF - but I have asthma and SEVERE reflux so am scared.

I want so badly to find a natural alternative. I worry what long term use of PPI's will do to my body????

Take care and let me know how you make out.

Nessa

Old 05-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Well, mole76 and Vanessa74, It looks like we're all in similar boats here. And they suck don't they? Sorry, just trying for humor in what seems a daunting situation.

I too, had no idea that acid reflux could cause issues with the sinuses. I've battled sinus problems for too long now, the story is too long to go into but suffice it to say I have LOTS of terrible allergies and get bronchintis a lot. Well, last Dec in '07 I got it and, it was especially bad. Despite antibiotics and Rx Singulair and Xyxol I got worse, and it turned into pneumonia.

I finally start to get better and catch what I thought was " a cold" and my (then- I have since fired him) allergist told me I was just unfortunate to get so sick so often. Well, after that started to finally go away in its wake was constant gagging/reflux but at the time I thought it was still sinuses. I went through bouts of productive nasty cough, but decided to get a 2nd opinion since taking antibiotics and prednisone for the countless time was doing me no good.

Fast foward to new Dr's (actually she's an NP go figure) recommendations and she says its asthma AND acid reflux- or so she's taking a gamble on the reflux and said to try the Nexium to see because I found that Pepcid made me get immediate relief (whereas no sinus or allergy meds do- not even the inhaled Rx steroids for asthma).

So, I have both it seems. I have been on Nexium less than a week and see SOME difference already BUT it was explained to me to give it at least 3 months if not 6 to really tell the difference. My Rx is for 3 months' worth. I am also now off the Xyxol for the time being and have taken myself off of Singulair-but NP says no need to take that.

I have found OTC Claratin to be enough during the day most days if I'm around something that irritates my allergies. I know it sucks to feel that gagging feeling like you can't breath and I always figured it was not an asthma attack.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
    clairecanice
    (female)

clairecanice HB User

hi all,
    i have suffered with sinus for the last 6 years and the reflux started 2 years ago, it does seem it's all connected. but i was prescribed an antihistamine by my ent doc and it really works its noeclarityn, you should try it and see if it helps. it works for me at the minute.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I completely agree with the connection - not sure what it is exactly but there does seem to be a connection. Every since my acid started acting up so have my sinuses - or maybe it was the other way around. In any case - they both bother Fun to not just have one thing to deal with huh!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
    noggin7717
    (male)

noggin7717 HB User

When you all get the sinus issues, do you also sometimes get light-headed/dizzy? Have been on Nexium for more than a year now and lately, since spring started, I've had sinus congestion, ear pressure/popping and nagging sinus pressure and it seems to make me a little light headed/dizzy. I have never had allergies, but I think I may have developed them with this cursed GERD.

Thanks,
    -Noggin

Old 05-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I get dizzy TOO sometimes really bad. I read it can be a side effect of PPI's too - but I notice it most when my sinuses are bothering me. My ears hurt and itch bad.

YUCK-O stuff this

Old 05-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

YES, re: the dizzy-ness! As well as itchy, sometimes even sore, ears and nose and throat and eyes. It is the ears and eyes though that itch the worst for me, even when my nose is irritated!!!

Although some of my light headedness I am pretty sure is due to my Levaquin antibiotic, not the Nexium because I always get it right after I take the levaquin.

Closed Thread