It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Having sinus problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
    bjaeger
    (male)

bjaeger HB User
    Unhappy Having sinus problems

Okay well for the past few months I've been having sinus problems. My left nostril would clog up and I wouldn't be able to breathe through it. It drains down my throat. I occasionally get slight sinus headaches. My scent of smell and taste isn't as good as it used to be, although that could be because I'm a smoker, but not a heavy one. Once in a while when I stick my finger in my nose I'll have a slight amount of blood on it (not sure if it's from this but I thought I'd mention it anyway [note: I didn't stick it up that far that it could've caused any bleeding]). I've tried sprays but it says to only use them for no more than four days. Does anyone know what this could be? A sinus infection maybe?

Thank you,
    Brandon Jaeger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Having sinus problems

If it was a sinus infection you'd normally have some other symptoms - discolored (green or yellow) mucus draining from your sinuses, facial pressure or pain, fatigue and even a low-grade fever - based on that, it doesn't sound like you have a sinus infection. The bits of blood are probably from dryness which is pretty common (as long as you're not getting full-blown nosebleeds).

It sounds more like you have a deviated septum or allergies. For allergies you might try taking Zyrtec or Claritin - both are over-the-counter antihistamines that should help if it's allergies (you might also try 12-hour Sudafed - a decongestant - during the day but it can keep you up at night so try taking it in the morning).

A deviated septum is a bit trickier because it's a physical irregularity in the cartilage in your nose that can only be permanently fixed with surgery. The 12-hour Sudafed and a steroid nasal spray (which you'd have to get a prescription for) might help by shrinking the tissues in your nose and minimizing the impact of the deviated septum.

Unfortunately, sinus stuff can be kind of tricky so it might be worth a trip to the doctor to get a professional opinion.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
    sico
    (male)

sico HB User
    Re: Having sinus problems

Nasal polyps can bleed. Check if you have polyps.

Closed Thread