It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

what to do if sinus infection is not draining

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 AM   #16
gcsjr
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: what to do if sinus infection is not draining

Freebee-

A couple of things - first of all, on the Vinegar, it's not used to help moisturize, it's actually supposed to help fight the infection. My ENT recommends it when people have a sinus infection but I can't say it's ever helped me knock out an infection (without antibiotics).

Second, don't let the "surgery is the next step" comment worry you until you've seen an ENT who specializes in treating sinus problems. Typically the treatment for a persistent sinus infection would include a solid month of an antibiotic like Cipro or Levaquin and a course of oral prednisone to reduce the inflammation in your sinuses (along with a nasal steroid spray).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #17
dolysods
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

good luck! irrigating with a 1/4 t of glycerin helped me.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #18
gcsjr
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Just curious, when you say it's "not draining" are you saying that because you still have pressure up in your sinuses around your eyes, or is there something else that is causing you to believe that it's not draining?

I suspect that the dryness may have more to do with dry air and the antibiotics than the infection.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
Freebee7
(female)

Freebee7 HB User

Yes, I'm not really draining much of anything out of my nose. There is still pressure behind my eye and up and around, although some has gone down my throat through the day. The reason it's not draining from my nose is it's still swollen I'm assuming (that the way it feels) and it keeps getting dry inside.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 AM   #20
gcsjr
Senior Veteran
(male)

Just to reassure you, it's not uncommon for a sinus infection to drain without much visible evidence of drainage (most of the infected mucus will drain down the back of your throat, especially if the infection is in your sphenoid or frontal sinuses). The pressure may be a sign that there's still some junk that needs to drain so keep irrigating with the SinusRinse bottle.

As for the dryness, both the antibiotics and the Nasonex can cause some dryness, so what you're experiencing there may not be from the infection. Once you get through the antibiotics the dryness should improve some.

Hope you do start feeling better in the next day or two.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #21
karyn66
(female)

karyn66 HB User

I have suffered chronic sinusitis for years. It's only in the last two years I've been able to control it, without antibiotics. I do two things. Irrigate with salt water (celtic salt the best). Dilute 1/2 tsp salt in boiled water or use saline prep. either use a netti pot or snort it out of a saucer. We have a product here in Australia called Fess which is a spray of saline which I use regularly and I do the irrigation when I feel a sinus attack coming. Also I use essential oils of Eucalyptus, Tea Tree and Peppermint and inhale them. It's very soothing. The salt water will kill infection in sinus and help them drain. You can goodle netti pot and see how to use them. I saw demonstration on Ebay. Believe me it does work and I'm happy I don't have to use medications anymore. As for sinus operation I don't believe they are successful for long its temporary and the op is very painful. I believe my sinus problems started with a broken nose, maybe deviated septum or car accident, whiplash. Also see a chiropractor or massage therapist for a sinus manual drainage massage that helps too. Cheers.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #22
Freebee7
(female)

Freebee7 HB User

Well that is good to know, because I was expecting to see something during the rinses and using the compress. I've noticed that using the hot compress has helped to drain some. There is still pressure under and around the eye "frontal sinuses" and clogging right below the corner of my eye, but I think it's coming down, just very slowly. I'm still getting a fever and today still a little dizzy.

Good to know about the dryness. I'll just keep using the vasoline around the inside until I finish the antibiotic and nasonex.

Thank so very much for your help!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #23
Freebee7
(female)

Freebee7 HB User
Wink Re: what to do if sinus infection is not draining

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyn66 View Post
I have suffered chronic sinusitis for years. It's only in the last two years I've been able to control it, without antibiotics. I do two things. Irrigate with salt water (celtic salt the best). Dilute 1/2 tsp salt in boiled water or use saline prep. either use a netti pot or snort it out of a saucer. We have a product here in Australia called Fess which is a spray of saline which I use regularly and I do the irrigation when I feel a sinus attack coming. Also I use essential oils of Eucalyptus, Tea Tree and Peppermint and inhale them. It's very soothing. The salt water will kill infection in sinus and help them drain. You can goodle netti pot and see how to use them. I saw demonstration on Ebay. Believe me it does work and I'm happy I don't have to use medications anymore. As for sinus operation I don't believe they are successful for long its temporary and the op is very painful. I believe my sinus problems started with a broken nose, maybe deviated septum or car accident, whiplash. Also see a chiropractor or massage therapist for a sinus manual drainage massage that helps too. Cheers.

Thank you for your comment. I will do whatever it takes to never let this happen again. I plan to make the saline rinses a daily routine, and I will also buy the saline spray you are speaking of (not sure it's the same name, but I know we have that here). Currently I am using the prescribed Nasonex, not sure I can mix the two?

I am glad that you have found a way to control this. I can't wait to feel like a normal person again. Although I can't even imagine what that will feel like, since this has been going on for close to a year, unknowingly. I had a previous sinus infection and had taken two round of antibiotics at that time, and thought it was gone and better, but apparently it wasn't. This one I will continue going to the doctors until it is completely gone no matter what!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #24
calidreaming
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

i see you are taking 2 rounds of antibiotics. just a warning. i went through this SAME thing. i STILL have sinus issues today. however, after taking multiple anti-biotics i got dysentery.i believe i was takin cipro as well. i was EXTREMELY dehydrated, blood pressure spiked (im 22), dizzy running into walls, using the bathroom 40+ times a day (no joke). it was literally the worse experience... and it came from antibiotic usage.

sinus infection is horrible, but TRUST me dysentery is pure hell. one step up from a death bed.

you MUST drink/take PRObiotics while on this many anti-biotics. your body's good bacteria gets wiped out by the meds...you have to replace them with good stuff! this is also known as Kefir in healthfood stores/ yogurt isle. they come in a variety of flavors too!

i wish you luck. i have the same sinus issues. just watch the anti-biotic usage... ! i actually drink Kefir daily. i have not gotten sick SINCE drinking this stuff. so im gonna keep drinking it!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
taape
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I've been using Astelin spray, it's really good at keeping my nostrils open. When I've had bad sinus infections and multiple rounds of antibiotics/decogestants, sprays, etc., didn't work I finally had to go get cortisone shots in my nostrils. It works almost immediately and then continues to decrease the inflammation for several days. It's not supposed to be that good for you but I was desperate after not being able to breathe through my nose for over a month.

Closed Thread