It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Does Anyone Else Seem To Get A Lot Of Colds/flus/sinus?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User
    Does Anyone Else Seem To Get A Lot Of Colds/flus/sinus?

Hi gang x was just wondering if anyone else seems to get a lot of colds/ flus/ sinus probs? I never seem to be free of one these last few months Before l gotthe Thyroid removed l cant remember last time l had a good heavy cold! or flu but now........ thanks all x went to docs yday and he told me they are not giving antibiotics out for chest and throat infections any more as they arnt working instead its anti inflammotories (typo sorry) so rough xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
    kellibear
    (female)

kellibear HB User
    Re: Does Anyone Else Seem To Get A Lot Of Colds/flus/sinus?

i think i would get a second opinion because you may need anti-biotics. there are many supplements/herbs you can take to boost your immune system and lessen the severity of colds/flu. the best one is echinacea, others are olive leaf extract, vitamin c and e, zinc, inositol, ashwagandha, astragalus, andrographis, garlic, golden seal, elderberry, holy basil, licorice, selenium, red clover, pau d'arco, bee pollen, and a good multi-vitamin. there is also a supplement called proboost that really helps only it is pretty expensive--you can get it at any health food place or on-line. i get most all of my supplements/vitamins from puritans pride because they are the absolute cheapest with a prompt delivery. most fibro patients have a poor immune system, so taking anti-oxidants will help also. if you are on a lot of anti-biotics, you need to take a probiotic to replace the good bacteria wiped out by the anti-biotics. i highly recommend the book "from fatigued to fantastic" by dr. j teitelbaum. there is alot of info on boosting your immune system and frequent infections.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Thanks for the reply l do drink green tea lm not a big fan of taking supplements l like to think l eat a good diet and should get what l need from that not that lm knocking anyone who does take supplemrnts each to their own I try to find the things you mentioned in my food. I think l will be back at docs Monday if things dont ease up because the more l cough the more the costo is aggrivated and my upper back muscle spasms Ive also taking probiotics in the past and these give me stomach aches they dont agree with me at all so l tend to believe l dont need them . Is it fact that fibro patients do have a lowered immune system? That would explain alot of things cos l see to get one bug after another... before thyroid removal l never caught nothing then again l was hyper most of the time! My immune system was working over time! Thanks again for your reply and suggestions will look out for some other foods containing some of the stuff you mentioned x have a good weekend x

Old 06-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
    kirstee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

FMS messes with your immune system. It sounds like you are doing what you can through eating habits to pump up your system. BUT, if you are not avoiding white refined flour, sugar, candy, soda, liquor/wine, etc., that should be your next step. Again, you might have already done this elimination process.

Bye!
    Kirstee

Old 06-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Thanks again x wine would be a fine thing LOL alcohol makes me feel so rough! lol

Old 06-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
    kellibear
    (female)

kellibear HB User

i read about a supplement yesterday that is great for boosting the immune system, it's called imuplus. it's a undenatured protein whey isolate powder that you make a drink from. it's pretty expensive and i found the same thing at prohealth for half the price. might check that out!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

I live in the Uk .... might not be able to get it we are so far behind you lot

Old 06-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User

I used to have them all the time. When I started taking Mucines (guafenisin) regularly every day, they disappeared almost entired. The Mucinex keep my sinus from getting all stuffed up.

I do get one occasionally, but my doc then prescribes antibiotic and I am rid of it. I would indeed get a second opinion on this, but maybe ask you doctor about trying the Mucinex twice a day. It can't hurt you, and it's made my life so much better. That and rinsing my nose with a saline solution faithfully.

I hope you find something to help. Those sinus infections are so painful.

And building you immune ssystem is good, too. I don't do any sugar, exept that in fruit and dairy products, I don't eat meat, eat a lot of vegetables and grains and beans, and I think that helps, too.

Good luck here!

Old 06-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
    Paddy55
    Veteran
    (female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

I get what I think are frequent allergy irritations added to long-time chronic sinusitis, and a deviated septum. The sinusitis was dx'd long ago, and I rarely use any cold meds. I do saline rinses all the time, highly recommend it. But I am always plugged up, just wishing I could breathe for FIVE MINUTES! When I am absolutely desperate (or driving my h crazy with my snuffling lol), I use baby-strength Otrivan spray decongestant. Must never use it routinely - really bad - you get rebound - but once a month or so, doc said is okay, especially so I can get some sleep.

The other thing my h and I do when we are really stuffed up - you'll laugh at this - is jump up and down on the spot, or go up and down the stairs a few times. The natural adrenaline opens up your sinuses. Only temporary, but when desperate......

Wishing you peace and comforts,
    Paddy

Old 06-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Thanks all xx much appreciated having a bad day today so wont stay on long l will come back tommorow if lm up to it. Hope you all ahve a pain free evening x

Old 07-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
    angelb1980
    (female)

angelb1980 HB User

I read that Elderberry was a good herb to take for colds and flus. I actually just ordered some from ( removed ) along with Spirulina and Vitex. I've never taken herbs but I've heard good things about them. You might wanna do some research and check it out.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-14-2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
    vickyo
    (female)

vickyo HB User

I found that not only do I get alot of colds, they also last longer for me.

My fiancee will get a cold and it will be maybe 2 days. I will catch the cold and I'll be down for over a week.

Closed Thread