It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Early onset of sinus infection...Natural Remedies? ANYONE?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User
    Early onset of sinus infection...Natural Remedies? ANYONE?

I want to know of natural, ie NON antibiotic, remedies for sinus infection in the first, early days. Does anyone have anything that's worked for them? Supplements or just plain saline (that's never worked for me, in fact seems to make me worse) but at this point I will try anything because I don't want to get the full blown infection as it ALWAYS turns into Bronchial pneumonia....

Since stopping my allergy shots entirely I've done MUCH better than I was-before on the shots I was sick every 2-3 months with a full blown infection. (Fever, chills, etc) but now I am just getting the junk in my nose- but people have been sick around me at work. I do NOT want to get it and will try to avoid letting it get out of control at all costs. People always tell me not to wait too long and "let it get out of control", but what do you do? Saline does not work and I've been taking Airborne too.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
    richard1971
    (male)

richard1971 HB User
    Re: Early onset of sinus infection...Natural Remedies? ANYONE?

hi rush ill be checking this post to see if anyone answers. Ive had real bad sinuses for the last 5-6 weeks and nothing can rid it. Its now right ant the front of my forehead and temples and my ears are blocked, im hearing whistling or similar. One thing i wanted to ask whats the symptoms of bronchil pneumonia? I seem to have a congested chest the last 5-6 weeks also, although a very good member, GC, advised i treat the acid reflux to see if it helps. I beleive it is but still got the cough.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

RushRulz-

About the only thing that I can recommend is that you start irrigating with saline, not saline spray but full-blown irrigation using a SinusRinse bottle, 3-4 times a day. My ENT recommends adding 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar to the solution in the SinusRinse bottle to help knock out an infection. I've tried it but I can't say that it's every really knocked out an infection for me.

I had another ENT recommend adding 4-6 drops of Tea Tree Oil to the irrigation mixture - that actually seemed to help some but it can irritate the sinuses.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

completely agree with the Sinus Rinse (not the saline). When I start to feel one coming on I do a rinse once or twice a day depending upon the severity. The other thing I find that helps is to drink Chamomile tea once or twice a day as well. It works as an anti-inflammatory and helps open up my sinuses.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Good suggestions- I will definitely try that Chamomile Tea, as it is supposed to have other natural health benefits.

I went in to see the NP at my Allergists and she gave me some antibiotics but it is a kind I have not tried, so maybe it will do something-but she gave me a Sinus Rinse kit! Yay! I am not sure why I stopped using the kind they sell at Wallgreens (though this is different than that) that was "Sinu-Cleanse" or something like that-it used to help me but I think I was worried about pushing the infection further back. I was also advised to take the Mucinex DM in conjunction with the Sinus Rinse and antibiotics- a 2 week cycle.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

An interesting sidenote: I did the breathing test today too and have taken myself OFF of the symbicort as it really made my reflux flare up worse than any food I could eat! Well, I still have proventil as a rescue inhaler and have only needed IT about once a month or twice if that- so they test me since NOT being on the inhaled steroids and I am up to over 90%! Thats a big improvement as I think the best I was doing before was 85% and that was nearly killing me to try to breath!

I do wonder if the hiatal hernia my GI found had something to do with my breathing capabilities being somewhat limited-not that he fixed the hernia as it was a small one but he did stretch the throat with air.....

Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

with the breathing thing.. reflux can actually cause asthma symptoms. Before I was diagnosed with GERD, I was having horrible problems with suddenly developing "asthma" but never had it earlier in life. They put me on an inhaler and everything. Wasn't until I got my reflux under control that I got off the inhaler.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Well, wakkochic, that's what my Allergist wants to happen with me. We'll see- I did much better on the breathing test WITHOUT my inhaler-I've been off it since June!! I was so glad!

I got ahold of some Sinus Rinse, also from that same allergy clinic and it has helped a lot.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

I use the sinurinse packets in a neti pot. If i feel a infection coming on i will put about 1/2 a capful of peroxide in neti pot. Any more and it burns like heck.

Do you take anything for your hernia/reflux? I have a hiatal hernia also. Whenever i get the glob of phlegm feeling in my soft palate I start taking my nexium.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
    Digerati
    (male)

Digerati HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolysods View Post
    I use the sinurinse packets in a neti pot. If i feel a infection coming on i will put about 1/2 a capful of peroxide in neti pot. Any more and it burns like heck.
    Hydrogen peroxide? Do you use the 3% food grade solution? Does it help?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

i use the peroxide that you get at the drugstore. I think it helps. I only use it a few times a week, it can be drying

Old 09-03-2008, 05:00 AM   #12
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Natural Remedies: I've been using a silk worm enzyme. I started out taking one tablet on an empty stomach in the mornings. I would up the dose by one pill till I reached 5 a day. It's usually found mostly at 20,000 IU's, but can be purchased at a higher dosage per pill. I haven't bought those yet. When I use what I have I'll go to the higher dosage and not have to take as many in the morning. This stuff is suppose to help with phlegm and inflammation. It is really working for me. At this time of year, and in the spring I usually have terrible sinus problems, so far so good. Diana

P.S. if your on blood thinners or have thin blood and are on Vit K therapy you should consult your doctor before taking this stuff. It's fairly new to the US but has been in other countries for over 20years.

Last edited by drs; 09-03-2008 at 05:03 AM.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Where did you read or hear that silk enzyme would help with phlem; I am curious. Do you buy it at your health food store or pharmacy? Also, does it help with swelling of the veins, which is an allergy.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #14
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

If you know of a cheaper online place check there. I did have my health foods place order some, plus I ordered some online. The online kind was way cheaper.

I wrote phlegm, but it's mucus it helps with. Same thing? lol

Diana

PS. if you do a search you'll find quite a few things to read.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #15
    kafish67
    (female)

kafish67 HB User

Diana,
    How did you stumble upon this remedy? Did a doctor or someone who practices natural medicine recommend it? I'll try anything aside from antibiotics and steroids, both oral and spray, all of which my ent prescribed. I am very new to this whole sinus issue thing. Just want to make sure is doesnt cause other problems. I guess I could ask if it has been "approved" in the natural medicine world? Any thoughts?

Kelley

Closed Thread