It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Acute sinus for a year.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
    sico
    (male)

sico HB User
    Acute sinus for a year.

I have had sinus with polyps for a year now. My Doc prescribed Beclate nasal spray only, no antibiotics . After a year the polyps have grown larger and I still have Yellow/green discharge.
    When my Doc went on holiday, his partner would not repeat my nasal spray as it is bad for long term.
    I am tired of "mouth breathing" I cannot find on the web that nasal spray is bad on the long term. Why don't I get antibiotics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User
    Re: Acute sinus for a year.

If you have a bacterial infection you should really be prescribed antibiotics, are you seeing an ENT consultant?

My GP though says that its been proven that antibiotics don't actually help that much with sinusitis so maybe that is why you haven't been prescribed them?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

There's no reason why a steroid nasal spray like Beclate couldn't be taken over a long period of time (decongestant nasal sprays are the big problem - they can only be taken for a few days).

You really need to ask your doctor for a course of oral prednisone (another steroid) to shrink the polyps. Nasal sprays aren't usually strong enough to shrink polyps (but they are helpful in keeping them from recurring).

The antibiotics won't help with the polyps (which are probably the cause of the discolored discharge) - the key is getting the polyps shrunk down so that your sinuses can drain correctly.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
    sico
    (male)

sico HB User

Thank you. I am scared to take the oral tablets due to the side effects. Will go back to my doc on Monday.
    I don't have a medical insurance and an op is far too expensive.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

There are very few side effects from a short course of oral prednisone. The side effects typically develop in people who take it daily for months or years.

You have to make the decision for yourself but over 7-10 days at the dosages they prescribe for polyps the risk of any long-term side effects are extremely low.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

The ongoing sinus infection(s) could be causing the polyps. Over time, if the infection(s) aren't treated, the body will encapsulate the infection, thus, developing a polyp. Allergies can also cause polyps.

You really want to keep them to a minimum because they can really hamper breathing, drainage and etc. Polyps can be removed endoscopically by clipping them at the base. Some can be as large as a "pea." Once removed, the wound scars over (it can't be stitched). This is why you see sinus surgery patients wearing a nasal drip pad to catch the blood for a week or so after surgery. It's not that painful of a procedure though.

I would agree that a nasal steroid spray could help with the polyps. It will also help reduce the overall inflamation of sinus tissue.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread