It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Dermographism, Immune Disorders, Sinusitis and Septoplasty questions!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
    Angeleyes1437
    (female)

Angeleyes1437 HB User
    Dermographism, Immune Disorders, Sinusitis and Septoplasty questions!

I'm getting married next week. So I was hoping that some of you wonderful people could help answer some of my questions.

I'll give you a bit of background.

About 7 months ago I was diagnosed with dermagraphism, I've had it my whole life but always thought I had "sensitive skin". My immunologist said it's a result of an autoimmune disorder that causes my body to produce too much histamine. So I'm on Clarinex 5mg and have been doing great with that.

However, I also have a severely deviated septum that would cause me breathing discomfort and the occassional sinus infection. So my immunologist ssaid the look of it bothered him and referred me to an ENT with a subspeciality in Plastic Surgery/Facial Reconstruction. The day I went to him he confirmed that a septoplasty would benefit me significantly, but that it was completely elective. To put the camera into my sinuses he numbed me by putting a solution on cotton swabs and placing them very high up into my nasal passage. From that day I developed Sinusitis.... BAD. So much that my lungs have filled with fluids from my sinuses, the pressure in my head has caused vertigo, extreme pain/pressure, and a sore throat. My Immunologist suspects that because of my autoimmune disorder, my body is basically attacking my sinuses non-stop.

It got so bad that I had to rush to my GFP and he gave me a steroid shot and put me on a Methylpresdnisolone 6 day pack... and I felt AMAZING! I hadn't felt so good and clear in years!! However, my first day off of the steroids and it all happened again. So my immunologist put me on 20mg's of prednisone BID (2x per day) in the meantime and said that the septoplasty is no longer an option but more of a need... so I see him again Monday morning.

He's only given me 5 days worth, and I'm getting married next Saturday. Will I start to see any water retention prior to the wedding if he writes more for me on Monday? I'm really nervous about that- even though I know the most important thing is my health it's still my wedding!

I can't take a chance by weaning off before the wedding, so I'm going to have to get more. Can anyone give me any advice? About the procedure, if I should have it done, about the prednisone, etc???

My ENT scheduled surgery for December 4th, but if I'm not going to be on steroids until that date I honestly can't function. I wake up feeling like someone punched me in the face several times and is sitting on my chest. Even a full breath of air still has me feeling like I'm going to suffocate. Then the dizzy feeling and ears popping- OMG... I can't move my head.

I'm a pharmacuetical rep, so I'm driving all day... I feel like I should go on disability until I recover from the surgery because driving is downright dangerous for me and others in that condition... not to mention that I feel so horrible I can break out in tears at any moment- and that's SO not the type of person I am. It frustrates me that I can't even work out before my wedding because I'm generally so active dispite the cloudy feeling I've had for the past few years.

I'm just confused, and would really like any advice that you can offer.

Thank you so much for reading my post and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
    robbiesg
    (male)

robbiesg HB User
    Re: Dermographism, Immune Disorders, Sinusitis and Septoplasty questions!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angeleyes1437 View Post
    I'm getting married next week. So I was hoping that some of you wonderful people could help answer some of my questions.

I'll give you a bit of background.

About 7 months ago I was diagnosed with dermagraphism, I've had it my whole life but always thought I had "sensitive skin". My immunologist said it's a result of an autoimmune disorder that causes my body to produce too much histamine. So I'm on Clarinex 5mg and have been doing great with that.

However, I also have a severely deviated septum that would cause me breathing discomfort and the occassional sinus infection. So my immunologist ssaid the look of it bothered him and referred me to an ENT with a subspeciality in Plastic Surgery/Facial Reconstruction. The day I went to him he confirmed that a septoplasty would benefit me significantly, but that it was completely elective. To put the camera into my sinuses he numbed me by putting a solution on cotton swabs and placing them very high up into my nasal passage. From that day I developed Sinusitis.... BAD. So much that my lungs have filled with fluids from my sinuses, the pressure in my head has caused vertigo, extreme pain/pressure, and a sore throat. My Immunologist suspects that because of my autoimmune disorder, my body is basically attacking my sinuses non-stop.

It got so bad that I had to rush to my GFP and he gave me a steroid shot and put me on a Methylpresdnisolone 6 day pack... and I felt AMAZING! I hadn't felt so good and clear in years!! However, my first day off of the steroids and it all happened again. So my immunologist put me on 20mg's of prednisone BID (2x per day) in the meantime and said that the septoplasty is no longer an option but more of a need... so I see him again Monday morning.

He's only given me 5 days worth, and I'm getting married next Saturday. Will I start to see any water retention prior to the wedding if he writes more for me on Monday? I'm really nervous about that- even though I know the most important thing is my health it's still my wedding!

I can't take a chance by weaning off before the wedding, so I'm going to have to get more. Can anyone give me any advice? About the procedure, if I should have it done, about the prednisone, etc???

My ENT scheduled surgery for December 4th, but if I'm not going to be on steroids until that date I honestly can't function. I wake up feeling like someone punched me in the face several times and is sitting on my chest. Even a full breath of air still has me feeling like I'm going to suffocate. Then the dizzy feeling and ears popping- OMG... I can't move my head.

I'm a pharmacuetical rep, so I'm driving all day... I feel like I should go on disability until I recover from the surgery because driving is downright dangerous for me and others in that condition... not to mention that I feel so horrible I can break out in tears at any moment- and that's SO not the type of person I am. It frustrates me that I can't even work out before my wedding because I'm generally so active dispite the cloudy feeling I've had for the past few years.

I'm just confused, and would really like any advice that you can offer.

Thank you so much for reading my post and I hope to hear from some of you soon!
    Hi,

How are you doing now, hope you got your surgery done.

Rob

Old 05-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
    Angeleyes1437
    (female)

Angeleyes1437 HB User

Hey Rob, thanks for asking! I had my surgery done and have been very good! I'm on Clarinex everyday to control the excessive histamine my body produces, lol. Unfortunately my insurance has stopped paying for non-sedative anti-histamines... and in my opinion that is rotten of them. My problem isn't even allergies but a more severe autoimmune disorder though even in the case of allergies I believe paying customers have the right to have a non-sedative antihistamine covered. I can't live without it, the OTC ones give me the jitters or make me pass out... so I guess I'm stuck spending 150 bucks a month on it while struggling to pay my mortgage because I was laid off, lol. I'm just happy to feel good though!!! Honestly... everyone is dealing with financial problems right now. It just stinks that the medicines we need aren't always affordable.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
    POPPAKHAN
    (male)

POPPAKHAN HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angeleyes1437 View Post
    Hey Rob, thanks for asking! I had my surgery done and have been very good! I'm on Clarinex everyday to control the excessive histamine my body produces, lol. Unfortunately my insurance has stopped paying for non-sedative anti-histamines... and in my opinion that is rotten of them. My problem isn't even allergies but a more severe autoimmune disorder though even in the case of allergies I believe paying customers have the right to have a non-sedative antihistamine covered. I can't live without it, the OTC ones give me the jitters or make me pass out... so I guess I'm stuck spending 150 bucks a month on it while struggling to pay my mortgage because I was laid off, lol. I'm just happy to feel good though!!! Honestly... everyone is dealing with financial problems right now. It just stinks that the medicines we need aren't always affordable.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
    POPPAKHAN
    (male)

POPPAKHAN HB User

Good Morning,
    We all could learn a lesson from our greetings ---it is actually overcast and raining here in the Nation's Capital and has been for the last couple of days...yet we say "Good Morning"
    I have had more than my share of having our insurance refuse to pay for a prescribed medication...This is when you solicit the aid of your primary physician to intervene in your behalf and explain to the insurance company the need you have for the medication...As most of us know,the insurance companies have non-qualified people making medical decisions....Most companies have a medical professional(physician) make decisions about medicines and the non-medical people just looks at a list of approved or non approved medications...But your doctor can carry the day in most cases and get the medication(s) approved.....Give it a shot...make it a good day--rain or shine...
    Take Care and GOD Bless

Last edited by POPPAKHAN; 05-27-2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: typo error

Old 05-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
    POPPAKHAN
    (male)

POPPAKHAN HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by POPPAKHAN View Post
    Good Morning,
    We all could learn a lesson from our greetings ---it is actually overcast and raining here in the Nation's Capital and has been for the last couple of days...yet we say "Good Morning"
    I have had more than my share of having our insurance refuse to pay for a prescribed medication...This is when you solicit the aid of your primary physician to intervene in your behalf and explain to the insurance company the need you have for the medication...As most of us know,the insurance companies have non-qualified people making medical decisions....Most companies have a medical professional(physician) make decisions about medicines and the non-medical people just looks at a list of approved or non approved medications...But your doctor can carry the day in most cases and get the medication(s) approved.....Give it a shot...make it a good day--rain or shine...
    Take Care and GOD Bless

Old 05-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
    Angeleyes1437
    (female)

Angeleyes1437 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by POPPAKHAN View Post
    Good Morning,
    Take Care and GOD Bless
    Thank you POPPAKHAN... I will definitely see what my doctor says!!

Closed Thread