It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Fungal sinus infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
    wellnoshow
    (male)

wellnoshow HB User
    Fungal sinus infection?

Hi, I'm new to the board and come to you in desperate need of help. I'm 16 years of age. I used to be active in a lot of sports and made good grades but following a sinus infection in winter of 2007 I find myself a very different person. I've been having chronic headaches, change in personality, difficulty focusing in class, brain fog, blurry vision, and random muscle spasms ever since the infection. My guess is that it is fungus-related, but my mom has neglected my situation and NOW, after almost a year, is getting me medical attention. A few weeks ago I was prescribed corticosteroids and antibiotics and strangely I feel worse. I've been doing some research online and discovered that those two medicines can worsen fungal infections and possibly lead to fatality. I'm very very nervous. Can anybody throw some advice/help my way? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User
    Re: Fungal sinus infection?

have you tried sinus irrigation with a neti pot or sinurinse bottle? keeping the sinuses clear will definitely help. Did you go to your family doctor or a ENT? Don't start to panic. Some deep rooted sinus infections need long term antibiotics to get rid of them. Did you have a CT scan? that will also help determine if you have a infection. Have you had any type of sports injury to your head?

Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
    wellnoshow
    (male)

wellnoshow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolysods View Post
    have you tried sinus irrigation with a neti pot or sinurinse bottle? keeping the sinuses clear will definitely help. Did you go to your family doctor or a ENT? Don't start to panic. Some deep rooted sinus infections need long term antibiotics to get rid of them. Did you have a CT scan? that will also help determine if you have a infection. Have you had any type of sports injury to your head?
    Yes, I recently bought a neti pot and regularly irrigated my sinuses. While it helped with the inflammation in my nose and eased my breathing, the debilitating headaches remained. I visited a family doctor who didn't really seem to care about me, and forgot me as soon as she walked out of the room. No CT scan, but my MRI for my brain showed nothing was wrong. I'm going to see an ENT on tuesday but my anxiety attacks will probably kill me before then. Is there any chance that, given that is in fact a sinus infection, I can recover from this brain fog and "mental freezing"?

Also, no. I've never recieved any sports-related injuries to the head.

Last edited by wellnoshow; 11-23-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

definitely. Keep irrigating at least twice a day. Have you tried any mucionex? mucionex d or sudafed 12hr works the best for me. Keep hydrated. I also run a humidifier all the time to add moisture to the air. That helps alleviate my sinus headaches.

good luck at the ENT.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
    kristi6190
    (female)

kristi6190 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wellnoshow View Post
    recover from this brain fog and "mental freezing"?
    explain more about this brain fog or "mental freezing"....what exactly does it feel like? dizziness, out of body feelings, spinning, staring off into space....??? i'm just trying to figure out what you mean by brian fog. also are your symtoms still there like congestion and so on or just the headaches and brain fog?

Old 11-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
    wellnoshow
    (male)

wellnoshow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristi6190 View Post
    explain more about this brain fog or "mental freezing"....what exactly does it feel like? dizziness, out of body feelings, spinning, staring off into space....??? i'm just trying to figure out what you mean by brian fog. also are your symtoms still there like congestion and so on or just the headaches and brain fog?
    It's everything you just mentioned. There's not so much congestion anymore since I irrigate often but I still feel the headaches and nausea and such.

I got back from the ENT. Turns out I have a severely deviated septum, but the doc says it's probably not even the cause of my headaches. I'm getting a CT scan on Tuesday to confirm any congestion.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
    zac1980
    (male)

zac1980 HB User

If you haven't had your wisdom teeth out I suggest to do so promptly, especially if you have low lying sinuses. that is unless you are properly diagnosed and cured by the standard tests.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

I have these same issues!!! I always have sinus infections since I was a baby, I am 30 now. I get brain fogs and feel sick, my shoulders are tense and I have headaches a lot!! I have had ct's and an mri and went to see my ent, he told me to use the sinus irrigation, so I did. I feel good somedays.
    I also was worried about the fungal thing and I would just die! My ct showed sinus disease. They do nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ah
    what about the wisdom teeth, I have mine.

Closed Thread