It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Deep cough and sinus allergy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
    Deep cough and sinus allergy?

Last March 08, I came down with a respiratory virus, which was mainly just a deep hacking cough and extreme rundown feeling/tiredness. No fever, sore throat or runny nose. After the intital illness cleared up in about a week, I was left with a deep hacking cough, that has basically never gone away.

I have never been an "allergy or asthma" person, although the area I live in is known to have very high levels of allergins such as mold, ragweed. I am wondering if it is possible to develope allergies later in life? I am 50 now, a nonsmoker and otherwise in good health.

I don't cough too much in the day. - but at night, I DO think I have drainage problems and cough alot with stuffed up nose. It DOES help to elevate my head with 2-3 pillows. - I am still wondering though why my cough is so deep and it never goes away?

I will add, I went to 2 different Dr's. 3 x last spring. Rxed z-pack and had a chest xray. - All clear.

Should I see a doc again? What could they do for me? Cortizone?
    Appreciate any advice.

Leea
    Has anyone had this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Deep cough and sinus allergy?

Chronic coughs are usually attributed to : allergies, PND, asthma and acid reflux.

From your description, it sounds like it could be reflux. Instead of propping your head on the pillows, try elevating your headboard about 6 inches. That keeps you from scrunching your stomach and making the reflux worse. If you don't have heartburn, try researching "silent" reflux or LPR. For me, coughing was my reflux symptom.

Also, since your symptoms appeared after your respiratory illness, you may have developed asthma. Have you tried any asthma medications such as Albuterol? If you are in the middle of a true asthma flare-up, a short course of steroids might be an option. In any case, the antibiotics won't help unless there is an actual infection.

A Pulmonologist would be a good next step. They can diagnose both conditions.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I concur with the pulmonologist suggestion. I developed asthma after a bout of walking pneumonia at age 50. It's very possible that's what happened with you.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

Thanks,
    I will look into the pulmonologist.

Leea

Old 12-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
    seasquirt
    (female)

seasquirt HB User
    Smile Re: Deep cough and sinus allergy?

it could be reflux or allergies. Allergies can appear after 50.
    when you cough that means something is irritating your lungs...it could be the ragweed, mold or the colder weather. Maybe talk to an allergist. I've been fighting back to back colds this winter, bad hacking cough, hoarseness, nasal congestion. My GP told me it was allergy and just now put me on nasonex and zyrtec. My chest x-ray was clean. I have had asthma and reflux in my past. For reflux, I eat a slice of apple or carrots, a tsp. of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water or DGL tablets (health food store). I stopped stressing myself out,too. Hope this helps )

Last edited by seasquirt; 12-06-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Closed Thread