It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Headache and Soy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
    KathyHaste
    (female)

KathyHaste HB User
    Question Sinus Headache and Soy

Hi, I have been suffering from sinus headaches for years and have just realized after keeping a food log that it might be caused by soy and or MSG. The only thing that helps is taking sudafed and I am tired of living on advil cold and sinus. I think that might be what causes me propblems sleeping at night. This is good news and bad. Now I think I know what is causing the headaches but the bad news is everything I pick up to eat has MSG or soy in it. Has anyone else experience with these kind of headaches? They are located in the area between my eyes. My next step is to eliminate dairy. I was allergic to milk as a child.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
    krlsgrl
    (female)

krlsgrl HB User
    Re: Sinus Headache and Soy

Hi, I also have headache problems. I was taking Sudafed for years, until I read that taking it frequently can cause rebound headaches.

Eventually I got diagnosed with thyroid disease. I think the headaches are fewer now that I am on meds for my thyroid.

What I usually take for headaches now is excedrin migraine generic; have recently read that it can also cause rebound headaches. :-(

Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
    beth67
    (female)

beth67 HB User
    Re: Sinus Headache and Soy

I found the same to be true for me as well. I am very sensitive to msg and soy that is overprocessed since processing a food can release natural msg. I don't know if you have read my other rants on other threads but I can't help but keep promoting the book Heal Your Headache by Dr. David Buchholz. Msg can be disguised in many forms. It doesn't have to say msg on the food label to have msg in it. I'll list the potential sources of msg he lists in the book.

hydrolyzed protein(including vegetable/soy/plant/rice protein)
    yeast extract and autolyzed yeast
    natural flavors/flavorings
    broth, stock or bouillon unless it says no msg
    soy protein concentrate/isolate
    textured protein
    whey protein
    protein-fortified items
    malt extract
    malted barley
    maltodextrin
    carrageenan
    kombu(seaweed extract)
    sodium or calcium caseinate
    glutamic acid
    gelatin
    fermented or cultured items
    ultra-pasteurized items
    enzyme-modified items

I was also on the sudafed rollercoaster and finally realized I was rebounding. I take it occasionally but if I find I'm taking a few extra doses I just stop immediatly because I know I'm probably rebounding. Anyways, good luck to you.

Beth

Closed Thread