It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• I do have sinusitis, no treatment though?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User
    I do have sinusitis, no treatment though?

I saw the GP yesterday because I have had a cold 2 weeks but now the mucus is green, I am congested mainly on my left side, i had some sinus pain in left cheek the other day and i had a nosebleed yesterday morning (never had one before), GP said I do have sinusitis, not severe and he said anti bs do not really help sinusitis so he said to just rest, drink plenty, steam and use my spray and it should clear on its own. He thinks I have now caught the kids flu type virus on top of the cold I had so thats why I am feeling so bad, I had a fever for 2 days but today its been ok but I just have an awful ache over left nostril, left side of jaw throbs when i open my mouth and green from nose, is this normal with a cold?

I hope it goes soon, I am not sure how much longer I can carry on feeling like this, I have 3 young children to look after and I feel terrible Any advice? I am steaming, using nasonex spray but feel im getting worse not better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User
    Re: I do have sinusitis, no treatment though?

are you still using a neti pot? that will help keep things flushed out. There is some crud going around that produces green mucous.. urgent care told me it was viral. Has the green gone away?

hang in there.. watch your wheat etc.. hard to give up some comfort foods when you are sick

feel better!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Thanks doly,

Went to GP again today, ive a sinus infection but also infection up my nostril, im blowing blood, got pain in my left side of jaw, left nostril and cheek. Its not as green as yesterday but everywhere on the left side feels raw and all my glands on my left are really raised. Its so horrible, I feel so poorly.

Yes i still use the sinus rinse but with my nostril being so sore ive not done it for a few days.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

keep up with the rinse, cut back a tad on the saline mix. I found it soothing. If the outside of your nostril is sore and raw, aquaphor is a miracle salve. It will take nearly all the redness out in a couple hours.

Did he give you antibiotics this time?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Hi Doly,

So stil do the sinus rinse but not as much mixture?

I have been putting vaseline up my nose, gp said it should help.

Any ideas why my jaw would hurt on the side where I have the snotty nostril and pain? it hurts when I open my jaw fully but the pain shoots from there right to my nostril and up my nostril is raw. I don't have any sinus pain just this raw nostril, blood and green when I blow.

Yes I have 500mg of amoxicillin 3x a day for 7 days. I hope they kick in soon.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #6
    BRIAN2000
    (female)

BRIAN2000 HB User

Hi Essica,

I also have a sinus infection. My symptoms are:

yellowish/greenish/brownish liquid stuck in my throat that I have to hack and spit out. PND

Face tender to touch- not alot but some and not always.

Crusty nose from the inside only.

Bleeding nose.

Runny nose some times yellow but mostly clear.

malaise- general tiredness.

Red tired looking eyes - epsecially by end of day even if I am not doing something.

Foul odour from my nose and bad breath even when I am not talking.

pressure in eyes at times- not always.

Low grade fevers.

I seem to get this feeling every time the weather is cold and in the UK that means 9 months of the year I have sinusitis problems and it is worst.

I remember going out and it was so cold but I was the only one blowing my nose constantly I meant it was dripping like a faucet but I looked around and no-one else was blowing their nose or had runny nose. It seeems to get worst for me when its cold weather.

I have sinus problems for up to 9 months of the year and what I have noticed is many doctors in the UK dont give antibiotic and if they do give they only give enough to cover 5 days.

I remember having a sinus infection really badly and the doctor did not give me anything. I mean it was like 4 weeks with symptoms and still he did not give me anything. I think becasue of this I have some type of bacteria lurking in my sinuses/nasal cavity which is giving me an odor from my nose and my mouth. I blame it on the doctor I saw 4 years ago who could have given me something to clear up this infection. I believe that it would have prevented it from getting so bad all these.

I also remember getting antibiotic a year ago for 5 days only. As if that is going to help anything. I read from a doctor that antibiotic for sinus trouble should be given atleast for 2 weeks. Short courses of antibiotics for 5 days or 7 days do not cure sinus infections that is partly why they come back.

So, just a word of warning if you have a sinus infection that's been lingering for years or even weeks then atleast 2 or 3 weeks antibiotic maybe needed. I am not a doctor but that has been what I experienced in the past.

I am presently on antibiotic for 2 weeks so i will see how it goes for improving my symptoms.

i also intend to do nasal washing as well.

Brian

Old 12-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #7
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

the jaw pain can be directly related to a sinus infection. Some doctors will not prescribe a antibiotic for sinuses until you have been suffering for at least 2 wks.

If the rinse burns, you can dilute it a little more. If it doesn't burn, keep it the same. I add a *little* peroxide to the mix. 1/2 a capful per neti pot. Less is better to start with and work up to more (i can only do the 1/2 cap)

Can you og to a massage therapist? Mine does wonders for working the trigger points to the sinuses and helping to get it to drain.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Thank you both,

Yes I have mild chronic sinusitis but my GP said its not the reason I have this, I just had a really nasty cold for 2 weeks and got an infection so I am on strong antibitotics and already after only 4 doses I feel alot better

I shall keep the rinsing up too.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

Brian.. sounds like you were given a zpak.. zithromyacin. It is 5 pills, but it remains in your system for 3 weeks

Old 12-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #10
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Doly is sinusitis common with a cold? My gp said I shouldn't be worried if its just me who this happens too because he said alot of people without sinus problems get sinusitis at this time of year after a heavy cold.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

once you have sinusitis it never completely goes away. Symptoms might improve what you do for prevention/maintenance. I do believe it gets better with climate. In my opinion it doesn't make you more susceptible to colds. You have 3 small children that share those germs with you

Old 12-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Thanks,

My GP said the anti bs should kill all the infection. I have never had an infection before really, I just have chronic sinus issues, abit of facial pain and congestion occasionally but I can honestly say I have never felt so ill, thank god for antibiotics is all I can say.

My GP was saying I had caught this from the children, weve all had a cold/flu virus its just mine turned into this but he did say that anyone can get sinusitis and its pretty common after a cold virus, is this true?

Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 AM   #13
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

I had a cold and then sinusitis, I was on 500mg amoxicillin for 7 days (3 a day) and I was so much better within 48 hours. I was feeling almost 100% over the weekend (I have also had a flu virus off my children so had alot of illness) but then the last 2 days I have noticed the side where I had the sinus infection (left) I now have a clicking noise behind the ear when I run down the stairs, jump or even go over bumps in the carand the left ear today has had a feeling of a balloon inflating then deflating. I have had this on and off all day today, so strange.

I had a really bad time with my ears just before the infection hit, when I just had the cold I was having lots of pressure in the ears but it was really bad where I couldn't hear properly, like I was under water and the pressure felt horrible especially when driving. I am not getting anything like that now just this horrible clicking and balloon feeling occasionally. I also have the odd pressure/niggly pain on the crown of my head on the left aswell.

I am now panicking that the sinus infection has not cleared up, despite me feeling alot better other than this pressure feeling. I can now breath freely, my nostrils are clear, no green or blood now from the nose, no fever.... A friend of mine said its normal to still have pressure for a while after a nasty infection but I am worrying a bit (yes thats me) the amoxicillin hasn't cleared it all.

I am steaming again and using my steroid spray.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal?I don't want to worry all over christmas, this is worrying me so much ( i worry about complications such as meningitis and abseses) and I don't want to spoil it for my children

Old 12-23-2008, 03:12 AM   #14
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

are you taking any sudafed? that will help with the balloon feeling and help with the ears

Old 12-23-2008, 03:46 AM   #15
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Hi Doly,

I have just had a sudafed, hoping it helps abit.

I am just worrying myself silly its still an infection. What do you think?

I keep worrying if its left it will turn into something nasty but surely the anti bs will of worked?

Closed Thread