It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinusitis without infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
    speak21
    (female)

speak21 HB User
    Sinusitis without infection?

Can you have sinusitis without a bacterial infection? I had a sinus infection about a month ago, complete with headaches, pressure, and green/yellow nasal discharge. Went to the ENT, who prescribed antibiotics (Omnicef). I couldnt take the full dose (due to GI issues), but in my follow-up, the ENT examined me and reviewed my sinus CT (taken that morning) and said the infection was gone. I was still experiencing a sensation of fullness and a clogged feeling in my ear, but that was all, and he said that should go away.
    A couple of weeks later, I caught a cold, and was afraid it would lead to another infection, as I had a few days of green mucus, but that went away in a few days. It has been ~2 weeks since I caught the cold and I am still experiencing the sensation of fullness in my cheek (pressure not bad, but it is there), the occasional feeling of a clogged ear, and a lot of postnasal drip and a runny nose. However, all discharge is clear, and I don't have a fever or headache, so it doesnt seem like this could be bacterial. Is it possible to have sinusitis without the infection? Is there a way to treat it, or do I just live with the sensations and drainage until it goes away? I do use a neti pot twice a day. Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
    prettiestpon
    (female)

prettiestpon HB User
    Re: Sinusitis without infection?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by speak21 View Post
    Can you have sinusitis without a bacterial infection? I had a sinus infection about a month ago, complete with headaches, pressure, and green/yellow nasal discharge. Went to the ENT, who prescribed antibiotics (Omnicef). I couldnt take the full dose (due to GI issues), but in my follow-up, the ENT examined me and reviewed my sinus CT (taken that morning) and said the infection was gone. I was still experiencing a sensation of fullness and a clogged feeling in my ear, but that was all, and he said that should go away.
    A couple of weeks later, I caught a cold, and was afraid it would lead to another infection, as I had a few days of green mucus, but that went away in a few days. It has been ~2 weeks since I caught the cold and I am still experiencing the sensation of fullness in my cheek (pressure not bad, but it is there), the occasional feeling of a clogged ear, and a lot of postnasal drip and a runny nose. However, all discharge is clear, and I don't have a fever or headache, so it doesnt seem like this could be bacterial. Is it possible to have sinusitis without the infection? Is there a way to treat it, or do I just live with the sensations and drainage until it goes away? I do use a neti pot twice a day. Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated!
    i think it's possible to suffer a majority of sinus symptoms without having a bacterial infection. i had tons of discharge, congestion, and pressure and the ent told me there was no bacteria or fungi to Treat. sometimes the sinuses can stay swollen and inflammed From Allergies or chronic stress. are u taking anything like flonase?

im getting accupunture to relieve the pain and pressure i experience every day, and im noticing a difference. i wish i knew more ppl who tried accupuncture for their sinusitis to Tell if it really works.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
    Re: Sinusitis without infection?

Acupuncture has done wonders for me. I still have the allergies, but when I first walked into the acu. office, I walked like the city drunk, couldn't think straight, was all clogged up and the list goes on and on. When I walked out after the first treatment, my walk was much straighter, headache gone, and on and on. As far as I am concerned, all the drs. do is bandage things over when it comes to allergies and they make money. They NEVER get to the core of anything!!~

Closed Thread