It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• 2nd sinus infection this year

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
    bebe1983
    (female)

bebe1983 HB User
    2nd sinus infection this year

i got hit pretty hard with one in oct, got treated with levaquin and it seemed to go away. i went to the ent shortly after just to make sure there was nothing that required surgery, and she said it all looked good.

i just got back from the cold nothern states this week, and i think the 50 degree differnce shocked my system a little. so i have another infection.

im doing everything i could possibly do for my allergies/sinuses. i irrigate, get allergy injections, and use flonase. however, im 25 yrs old now and ive been using flonase since i was 15. i wonder if it could have lost its effects and that i should switch to another nasal spray like nasocort or rhinocort?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: 2nd sinus infection this year

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bebe1983 View Post
    i got hit pretty hard with one in oct, got treated with levaquin and it seemed to go away. ... i have another infection.
    I fought with constant sinus infections for years. Actually, though, in my case, fortunately, the infection was probably in my nasal passages so I was able to permanently rid myself of sinus infections with the help of sinus floodings with peroxide, baking soda and salt. I now have gone over a year without doing another sinus flooding, and I have seldom had to do another one over the past few years.

After decades of recurring sinus infections, I've now been free of infections for over three years.

Quote:
    im doing everything i could possibly do for my allergies/sinuses. i irrigate, get allergy injections, and use flonase. however, im 25 yrs old now and ive been using flonase since i was 15. i wonder if it could have lost its effects and that i should switch to another nasal spray like nasocort or rhinocort?
    Flonase can only do so much. If it is a very bad pollen season, or if you have come into contact with more allergens than normal, even the most powerful nasal sprays won't keep you from sinus misery.

At any rate, I hope that you are doing much better and are sinus infection free!

⇒ Cheap effective asthma inhaler: Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 01-30-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

how long were you on the levaquin?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
    sands731
    (female)

sands731 HB User

I use nasonex and it is the best. I just started using a nasal spray with xylitol it appears to be a great help.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I like the nasal spray with xylitol too.

I treat my allergies with the immunotherapy and flonase also. In addition to that, I'm on Allegra, Singulair and Astelin. I find that I really like the Flonase, but it doesn't take care of all areas of my allergies. Each of these meds has a different approach to helping with the allergy symptoms. By the way, I've been on Flonase for about 10 years. I like it and the Astelin as well.

I've had 4-6 sinus infections per year for about 13 years now. Most last about 4-6 weeks before I get them under control. Sometimes, in addition to the antibiotics, a round of steroids helps me too.

I've also recently found out that my "silent" reflux has probably been influencing my sinuses as well. I've had aggressive reflux treatment lately, and I've only had one sinus infection since last October. Usually I have constant sinus problems in December and January.

Be careful with too much Levaquin. It can be tough on a body.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
    arihalli
    (male)

arihalli HB User

[QUOTE=Machaon;3866897]I fought with constant sinus infections for years. Actually, though, in my case, fortunately, the infection was probably in my nasal passages so I was able to permanently rid myself of sinus infections with the help of sinus floodings with peroxide, baking soda and salt. I now have gone over a year without doing another sinus flooding, and I have seldom had to do another one over the past few years.

After decades of recurring sinus infections, I've now been free of infections for over three years.

Machaon: How does one perform sinus floodings with peroxide, baking soda, salt? What measures do you use and is it with netty pot? thanks.....

Old 02-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arihalli View Post
    Machaon: How does one perform sinus floodings with peroxide, baking soda, salt? What measures do you use and is it with netty pot? thanks.....
    The first thread in this "Allergies" subject is New 'upside down sinus flooding' documentation, which documents, albeit out of date, how I used to do sinus floodings.

⇒ Cheap effective asthma inhaler: Fluticasone Nasal Spray!

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily

Closed Thread