HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   is endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty painful? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/664281-endoscopic-sinus-surgery-septoplasty-painful.html)

Flymama2828 01-20-2009 04:23 PM

Re:is endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty painful?

is endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty painful?

gcsjr 01-20-2009 04:43 PM

Re: is endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty painful?

The endoscopic sinus surgery is not painful but you will be sore after the septoplasty. The surgical follow up is extremely important for the sinus surgery so be sure your doctor has a specific follow up plan that involves multiple visits to remove crusts and minimize scarring.

robini64 01-20-2009 04:48 PM

I just had septoplasty done two weeks ago.On scale of 1-10 my pain level never was above 5.It was very easy for me I'm going back to work tomorow.I was off 2 weeks.
The first 3-5 days was the worst and when I say worst I mean it was difficult for me not to be able to blow my nose for 2 weeks and I took it easy the those first few days I didn'tfeel like doing much.Make sure you follow Dr's orders.Use the saline like they tell you to it's very important for the healing process.Keep us posted if and when you have it done.
robini64

Flymama2828 01-20-2009 05:21 PM

is endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty painful?

Thanks for the replies. I go meet with the Anestheiaologist tomorrow. I have my surgery in 2 days on thursday. I heard there is a lot of swelling. Is that true? I will let you know how things go!

robini64 01-21-2009 05:13 PM

I had some swelling inside my nose but just a little on the outside.
No one would know just by looking at me.
As the other person that posted said make sure you follow up with the Dr.and follow the instructions and you will be fine.
You will have some discomfort and sniffling and stuffy nose to contend with but you will be fine.
Good luck,
Robini64

Flymama2828 01-23-2009 02:11 PM

OMG...I just had the surgery yesterday and i cannot breath what so ever through my nose...Thsi really sucks!!!! How long does that last???

Lisarenee66 01-23-2009 02:33 PM

I need to have the Endo done again...severe sinus disease, however about 12 years ago, I had a septo along with some other correct surgery up in there. I will tellyou, the ride home from chicago to peoria was horrific! My husbad had to drive probably 30 miles an hour or less b/c of the bumps in the road which felt like canyons. The pressure in my head did not allow me to lay down and sleep for a few days...until I could get back in to see a local ENT to have the stents cleaned out (but left in) b/c they plugged up...which is a VERY COMMON problem..obviously because of the drainage..You just have to make sure you keep saline spray near to use frequently to keep everything nice and runny. The pain (I'm thinking it was due to the stents being plugged up) made my head feel like it was going to explode and was the worse pain I think my head ever felt...and I get migraines! I always said I would NEVER EVER EVER have nasal surgery EVER again..yet "sinus" surgery is different. If sinus surgery can be done without the risk of plugging up...like the need for a stent, then it should be ok. I get migraines weekly b/c of my sinus disease the pressure is terrible and goes from a sinus headache to a migraine. The cost of treating my migraines is over $100 a month so I really need to get the ENDO done again...soon!
hope this helps and sorry to be the bearer of bad news..but that was MY experience.

Flymama2828 01-27-2009 07:43 PM

Well 5 days since my surgery and i can kind of breathe through my nose but i am having terrible headaches and a bit of sinus pressure in my face...I am hoping this is normal. The awful part was when he took the packing out...I literally passed out! Anyone have these problems after the surgery?

robini64 01-28-2009 03:59 PM

I did not have the stents so I can't help you much on that.It will get better each day it will improve.What are you taking for the headaches?You may want to contact your ENT and see what he suggest you take.I've had headaches on and off since I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and I take either tylenol or advil and then it goes away.I still have some discomfort up my nose, but it has gotten a lot better each day.
Good luck keep us posted.
robini64

Flymama2828 02-03-2009 08:08 PM

I am taking tylenol because that is the only thing they said i could take. Anyways, In 3 days it will be 2 weeks from my surgery...Still feel horrible. My throat hurts really bad and i am always tired. I don't know if its because my kids had the flu and i am catching something from them. I just want to feel normal again!!!