It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Facial Migraines not Sinus Infection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
    Re: Facial Migraines not Sinus Infection

I don't know if this would be of any help or not, but it would be easy to try. Have you considered taking some mucinex or immediate release guaifenesin when this happens, or maybe when you know there is a low front coming in? Since it thins the mucous it might at least help keep you from getting an infection. I suspect the immediate release might be better for your use, plus it's cheaper. The barometric pressure trigger is very interesting to me. I have an inner ear condition that is triggered by barometric pressure changes - I can "feel" a low front from about 100 miles away, a system that produces tornados set's things off to the point I can't walk without assistance. I don't get pain, but get very severe vertigo and sometimes nausea. It kind of makes me wonder if maybe the two conditions are related - in one person they get sinus pain and a migrane, in another ear pressure with vertigo. My ENT thinks what I have is a weird form of Meniere's disease, but I don't have classic signs of it.

I hope one of those meds helps with the pain.

Tigg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiggertoo2174 View Post

I don't know if this would be of any help or not, but it would be easy to try. Have you considered taking some mucinex or immediate release guaifenesin when this happens, or maybe when you know there is a low front coming in? Since it thins the mucous it might at least help keep you from getting an infection.
    Yes, this would be a good idea. I have very similar problems. If get a cold or any type of prolonged drainage up there, it invariably develops into an infection...It's a perfect breeding ground for bacteria to grow.

Guaifenesin would thin out the mucous and allow things to drain more naturally, instead of getting all clogged up.

Regards,

Ex

Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #18
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

hey shur:

short post right this minute cuz I have a migraine from you know where....on my third day...but mine are triggerd by barometric pressure as well. I will post more about what helps me, when I am feeling better.

I live on the Gulf Coast, and have been a migraine sufferer since age 7....and my entire family has them. Now 49. It's no fun!

Feel better soon,
    Becky

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
    JewelryJulie
    Inactive
    (female)

JewelryJulie HB User

I am adding my two cents:

I only get facial migraines due to changes in BP, but with an additional component: muscular aches. I have TMJ and this is also a trigger. I have cervical spine pain, which is also a trigger. For me, the migraine symptoms come on after the tightness and pain of the muscles in the face and neck. I get the nausea, vomiting, light and noise sensitivity, chemical sensitivity, etc. But not without the muscle tightness.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #20
    CougarBabe
    (female)

CougarBabe HB User

Wow, what a great thread this is. It all makes sense! I suffered from food-triggered migraines since I was 8 yo. Then, in my late 30s they were more tied to hormonal changes. I believe these ended with my last period. There have always been other migraines that were a bit different--someone once called them neuralgic. I think these are what you are all agreeing are facial migraines. Strong odors and certain lighting definitely trigger them, and less often, very "heavy" humid days; nausea is a component.

Yesterday morning I awoke late and was very groggy. After a couple of hours, I went back into the bathroom to shower, and got a bit nauseous. That was the start. It turned out that work had been done that morning in the apt directly below me. They resurfaced the tub and shower surround with some very toxic stuff (dont have the name yet). By the time I got out of the house, I was very weak, and had the beginning of a migraine. Turns out the idiots never even opened the windows in the apt. I called the management office and they promised to get some fans to vent the place.

When I returned 6 hours later, my apartment was full of the horrid smell. I grabbed some things, "had " to use the toilet, and got out of the building. turned out nothing had been done. I finally got someone on the emergency line and in the middle of the convo about them finally doing something, and putting me up in a hotel, I started vomiting and dropped the phone. He found me sleeping in my car an hour later and got me (and my dog) settled in a hotel.

I had a very disruptive sleep with a nagging headache but I woke up at some point with a numb upper lip. Almost 24 hours later, the left side of my face is numb-- feel like I have been anesthetisized by a dentist; still have a shadow of a headache and am now hungry.
    This numbness is new to me. Maybe I will email the doc tomorrow.

I want to say something about the frontal lobe / sensory management. I found out this year that I have ADD, with an overload of sensory information. The doc did mention that Migraines, ADD, TMJ, Fibro often are packaged up for some of us. Again, this all makes sense now.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
    Lulubel
    (female)

Lulubel HB User

Hello.

Just to put my 2¢ in as a life long migrainuer. I have had migraines with aura since I was 13, I'm now 49. Other that Basilar migraines, I have all of them. Hormone (estrogen), food allergies (chocolate, etc.) sinus (i have polyps and living in florida the bp is always on the move), etc. But the worst one to date, my Neuro called a Trigeminal (spelling?) migraine. It affected the trigeminal nerve in the face. Granted it's been several years since I had it and I will take any other type of migraine headache over that one to this day. It felt like someone was slicing my face with a dull razor blade over and over again. Mine runs from my temple to the corner of my mouth. It was by far the worst I have ever experienced. Nothing worked including morphine and predisone. I can't take triptans due to side effects so I had to suffer through it for about 2 days before it started to let up a bit and then I still had a h/a for a few more days.

Anyway, it is just an idea and another option to peruse.....

Lulubel

Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #22
    shurluk
    (male)

shurluk HB User

I am sensitive to weather change (barometric pressure, wind...ect). I have this neurological condition that I pray often will be taken away from me. I have had this condition as far back as I can remember. I thought then it was allergies and sensitivity to Mold count. I drew to this conclusion by looking at the reported Mold Count in the weather section of the daily newspaper. We did not have PC’s or the WEB back then. I believed I had very sensitive sinus reaction to these “Allergic” attacks due to very bad sinus drainage. All my life I have had copious sinus drainage that caused sore throats and other issues.
    This went on and on then about six years ago became more frequent. I was seemly getting what I thought to be sinus infection about every 3 months. When these perceived infections came on I would suffer with them and eventually go to the doctor where he would push around on my forehead and say it must be a sinus infection. I would take antibiotics which I noticed were always very slow in “helping”. I eventually got so bad and frequent my Doctor ordered a “CT Scan” of my sinus.
    It was after this I found out that my sinus was perfectly clear. The ENT then told me I had “Facial Migraines”. I then was referred to the Neurology department and began a series of medication in the hope of decreasing my attacks. I experienced some life threatening side effects (Increased Heart Rate) and also they did not help decrease my attacks. They keep becoming more frequent as my sensitivity to weather changes increased.
    I was on Effexor for a year and it was of no help and infect they continued to increase. I read that Effexor can do the opposite of what you want it to do sometimes. I read it can make Migraines worse at times. I went off Effexor cold turkey about a month ago. I was not pleasant but I did it.
    So my “Facial Migraines” have been steadying increasing long before I began to use Vicodin to help have some kind of life. I got up an hour ago after being in bed with a migraine for about 14 hours. I could not stay alert for the “Lakers” game and thus missed it. Being forced to sleep through a pain episode is really not a bad thing. Me being in pain in my dreams beats having couscous pain all the time.
    I have not taken any pain medication since getting up even though I feel poorly. I do not have a bad headache now nor do I most of the time. My head aches, sure enough, but my whole body is so weak and achy the head ache pain is overridden somewhat from my overall condition. I will take pain medication (2 Vicodin) to take the edge off the pain. It won’t go away but helps.

I am a migraine suffer who is not being helped by the normal medication offered by the neurological community for migraine. Most often they stay this is due to “MOH” if any pain medication is being used. They refuse to believe there are some migraine suffers who can’t be help by the prescription they hold so dear and effective. The nurse practitioner of neurology I was seeing was so against taking any pain medication ever it was ridicules. She must have been addicted, at one time in her life, to prescription pain medication. She was like a reformed smoker in regards to pain medication use. I truly feel sorry for her patients who are not being helped by her prescriptions and are forced to live in pain. I just want to state that MOH is not always the reason someone is not helped by other dugs. The medical community can be “open minded” to this concept if just a little effort is put forth. If there open minded they will take the time needed to determined if the pain medication use is the culprit or not. Most I believe at the moment just assume if you’re taking pain relievers that is your problem. They won’t except that it is really providing some relief from the real problem which is the Migraine.

Closed Thread