HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   Sinus Surgery Recovery (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/675044-sinus-surgery-recovery.html)

feellikeimgoing 03-01-2009 04:39 AM

Sinus Surgery Recovery

I just recently had Surgery on my sinuses and a deviated septum, I know it takes and least five days or so to start feeling even half way normal, but, I feel just awful. I run a fever almost every day and then my body aches like I have been run over by a steam roller. I have read some of the postings, and I discovered that I should have some packing or stints in my nose, and I don't see any stints. My Doctor said that they don't do packing anymore, so I took him at his word. Anyhow, I never dreamed that this would be so miserable, I really feel as though the Doctor or his nurse should have sat me down and explained the least and the worst of recovery from a thing like this. I cough my head off, I am only awake maybe an hour or so, and I feel lousy all over. Then the fever and the aching start. Could anyone out there please tell me if they have ever had anything like this?

gcsjr 03-01-2009 05:48 AM

Re: Sinus Surgery Recovery

[QUOTE]I have read some of the postings, and I discovered that I should have some packing or stints in my nose, and I don't see any stints.[/QUOTE]
You wouldn't be able to see the stents if they used them, they are placed deep in the nasal cavities to keep the openings from getting blocked during the first few days after the surgery.

It is true that many surgeons no longer use packing or stents. The packing does little to improve the surgical outcomes and is extremely uncomfortable for patients, and aggressive post-surgical follow up can take the place of stents.

What you're feeling may be more from the anesthesia than the actual surgery - it's very common for people to feel completely wiped out for several days after being put completely under. You should probably call your doctor's office to let them know about the fever, it [I]could[/I] be a sign of infection.

dianneom 03-01-2009 01:04 PM

Did you check back with your doctor?
I had surgery at 1 in the afternoon and was home comfortably watching TV by 7:00. Plus, I don't think you should have a fever.

feellikeimgoing 03-02-2009 01:38 AM

:wave: I am truly glad that someone got the outcome to this surgery, that I thought I was going to. I have started feeling better. Yesterday, I went through the whole day without very much aching, and no fever at all. I did contact my Doctor when I first started having the fever, he said nothing. I was so scared and wiped out, that I started imagining stuff like Spinal Menengitis. lol I think I am going to make it, just not as fast as I had anticipated.

I never even heard about any stents from my Doctor. So, if they are deep down in there, how do they remove them? They don't just leave them in there do they?

gcsjr 03-02-2009 02:55 AM

[QUOTE]I never even heard about any stents from my Doctor. So, if they are deep down in there, how do they remove them? They don't just leave them in there do they?[/QUOTE]

If he used stents he'll remove them at your first follow up visit, but many doctors don't use them (or only use them for certain procedures). They're easily (and painlessly) removed in the office using forceps.

Executor 03-02-2009 06:50 PM

Sinus surgery is a fairly big deal, so it's perfectly normal to feel cruddy...Your body has been through a lot. Additionally, depending on the length of the surgery, the anthesiologist probably used a dozen or more potent meds to keep your asleep & etc. Thus, it takes a few days to rid yourself of the "hangover." Again, this is normal.

Re: the stints, if you have them, they are clear and pressed against the septum to keep it straight and in place for a few days. It's relatively painless when they are removed. In fact, at your follow up visits when the ENT cleans you out, you will feel better immediately.

Be sure to follow all the ENT's instructions completely....It's very important.

Best of luck to you moving forward....Each day is better than the one before.

Regards,

Ex