It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• sinus pressure pain,need advice please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
    tandycipps
    (female)

tandycipps HB User
    sinus pressure pain,need advice please

I take lortab10/325 x4day for cronic neck pain. The last few days have been miserable with head pressure from allergies. Is there a otc sinus med that I can take with lortab? I should have called my pharmacy yesterday while they were open. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: sinus pressure pain,need advice please

If you have sinus issues, I can sympathize with you because I get them as well and they are very painful. For me, my issue is "pressure" more so than a runny nose.

I take Claritin-D, which is over the counter now...In my state, you have to sign for it at the pharmacy. It contains a small amt of antihistimine and a pretty powerful decongestant. The decongestant attacks the "pressure." I was taking a Rx version, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it anymore because Claritin D is nearly identical and OTC.

If the symptoms persist, you probably should see a Dr. They can give you additional meds, such as a nasal steroid spray and also see if you have any type of infection going on. Often times, a deep sinus infection will cause lots of pain and pressure. They are also accompanied by yellowish discharge.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Old 03-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
    Lexusgsxr231
    (male)

Lexusgsxr231 HB User

i take claritin too.. very good pill to help with sinus pressure in nose or head.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

There are many sinus medications that you could take that are OTC. Please just watch your total acetaminophen(Tylenol) intake and keep it below 3000mg/day. I know there is

Sudafed
    Sudafed PE
    and other products with decongestants in them. You may also want to try a product called Neil-Med sinus rinse. It takes a few days for your sinuses to really clear out when using it but it does work. My friend uses it and his sinus surgeon told him that many people can avoid sinus surgery by using this. It should be available in most drug stores and comes as a kit (packets, nose bulb syringe) and you mix it with distilled water and squirt into your nose & sinuses. BE SURE YOU USE DISTILLED WATER because if you use tap water it will burn.

brian

Old 03-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post

There are many sinus medications that you could take that are OTC. Please just watch your total acetaminophen(Tylenol) intake and keep it below 3000mg/day.
    The only sinus meds that contain Tylenol are those marketed for "headache" or sinus pain. Conversely, the traditional sinus / allergy meds only contain a decongestant and antihistimine. Extra caution should be paid to the decongestants....They can raise your heart rate and BP. Many are 12 hour so it can affect your sleep if you're not careful.

Regards,

Ex

Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
    tandycipps
    (female)

tandycipps HB User

Thanks for the help! After I posted I did find a pharmacy that I could ask and they said sudefed pe was good so I went to Walgreens and got some and I was up most of the night but my head felt better. I guess there was something in the pills that worked like caffine.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tandycipps View Post

I was up most of the night but my head felt better. I guess there was something in the pills that worked like caffine.
    It's the decongestant or the chemical name pseudophendrine, that is giving you that effect. It will raise your resting heart rate and BP. Next time you take it (or purchase), take note of the mechanism of action. It will either be 4 hour, 12 hour, or 24 hour. Just as a side note, "diet pills" almost always contain a decongestant (and caffeine) because it speeds up one's heart rate.

Standard decongestant or pseudophendrine is usually 4 hour...They are little red pills that come in a blister pack....Usually 30mg each. Standard dosage for an adult is 1-2 every 4 hours. It is equal to a couple cups of coffee.

The 12 hour is something like Clartin-D...It has 120mg of decongestant and a small amt of antihistimine. It works over a 12 hour period...Ok to take in the AM because it usually wears off by bedtime. The instructions will say to take 1 tablet twice per day, but many can't take the second dose for the reasons you experience.

Lastly, there is a 24 hr dose....or 240mg....Also Claritin D...It's for chronic suffers as it provides around the clock dosing. It may also present some sleep issues.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ex

Old 03-11-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I'm an allergy sufferer too. A tip on Brian's tip - you can skip the kit if you can't find it and just get a bulb syringe (look with the ear stuff) and use a mix of 1 tsp salt (non-iodized) 1 tsp of baking soda to quart of water. The baking soda takes the sting out. It's what my ENT has me use. Mucinex is good too - it helps with sinus congestion as well as chest congestion - it won't raise your BP or keep you awake either. Another good anti-histamine is Zyrtec - it's available OTC now and is a once a day type. Hope you feel better.

Tigg.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiggertoo2174 View Post
    I'm an allergy sufferer too. A tip on Brian's tip - you can skip the kit if you can't find it and just get a bulb syringe (look with the ear stuff) and use a mix of 1 tsp salt (non-iodized) 1 tsp of baking soda to quart of water. The baking soda takes the sting out.
    Tigg.
    You would be better off to get the kit because the packet contains a standardized amount of ph balanced ingredients. Sometimes with the salt and baking soda you will get contaminants or minerals that are not good to put up in your sinuses. I have seen the Neilmed kit at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, etc. Just make sure you follow the directions. It feels weird the first couple of times but then you get used to it.

brian

Closed Thread