HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   Who here has nasal polyps with terrible sinus issues? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/685589-who-here-has-nasal-polyps-terrible-sinus-issues.html)

SKZ 04-09-2009 10:13 AM

Who here has nasal polyps with terrible sinus issues?

Hi everyone,
I am new to this particular board. I have had chronic allergies and sinusitus since about 1993. It hasnt been real fun. It has really put a crimp in my life. I am 53 and all of a sudden in one year I got bad polyps! So now in Dec. I had to go on Prednisone for 20 days, among a lot of other pills and protocols to shrink the polyps. I felt better after that, but already they are bad and ever worse! Again, i am on Prednisone and a bunch of other drugs. They said the polyps grew back faster than they would have liked. (me, too!). So now I have a new dimension in chronic sinusitis. I had finally gotten the sinusitis halfway under control where I didnt have 7 infections in one year and now I have polyps to complicate it and make my sinuses worse. The head pressure is pretty debilitating. I am an elem. sub teacher who is about to quit because I take jobs ahead of time and then i am too sick to go. Its a real drag. I am seeing the ENT on May 5th (he is in my allergist's office). I take allergy shots, do nasal washes...know all the drills. How can a person be on Prednisone so much????????? It makes me so edgy and so insomniac that I have to take sleeping pills just to sleep. This is such a rut. Any advice or commisseration is welcome! THANKS!

dolysods 04-13-2009 07:33 AM

Re: Who here has nasal polyps with terrible sinus issues?

have you ever tried acupuncture? I don't have polyps but did have the pressure and fatigue. Once i stopped a medication (yaz) i improved. Right now i'm in the process of eliminating wheat.. or at least drastically cutting it back. The acupuncturist and my naturopathic chiro want me off all wheat as it helps produce mucous. Dairy too but i can't let that go. At least with the acupuncture, it is instant drainage/pressure relief.

leighsa200 04-13-2009 10:14 AM

Have they suggested surgery to remove the polyps?

I had nasal polyps and a deviated septum surgery and it has made a world of difference. I can breathe much better and, along with allergy shots, have gotten my allergies and sinus infections under control.

Prior to the surgery I had chronic sinusitis and also felt like it really put a damper on my life also. I tried everything before surgery allergy shots, prednisone, etc. but nothing helped.

The surgery wasn't fun, but it wasn't that bad either. It took about two weeks to start to feel better, and much longer for my nose to feel totally healed, but I haven't had a sinus infection in over a year.

Hope this helps!

SKZ 04-13-2009 10:41 AM

I see the ENT in my allergy Dr's off office on May 5th. I am almost positive he is going to recommend getting the polyps out. I had 2 sinus surgeries in the 90s, so I dread having another one, but what can a person do? I have no choise since these polyps are really aggressive. i wish I could be sure they wouldnt grow back, but life doesnt work like that, unfortunately!

bradyamaral 11-19-2010 03:10 PM

I just had surgery for nasal polyps it was giving me blurry vision and dizzy/ lightheaded feeling.. I had surgery two weeks ago so I was wondering if you had similar symptoms and how long till they went away..mine have lessened slightly but are not gone answer me please..?

sico 12-23-2010 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=bradyamaral;4626539]I just had surgery for nasal polyps it was giving me blurry vision and dizzy/ lightheaded feeling.. I had surgery two weeks ago so I was wondering if you had similar symptoms and how long till they went away..mine have lessened slightly but are not gone answer me please..?[/QUOTE]

Mine was fine post op. for 12 years but grew back again. My left nose got polyps that I could see in the mirror 100% blocked and my right nose was 50% blocked.
I don't have med insurance so went on Beclate Nasal Spray. I think you guys call it Nasonex in USA.
Now I cannot see the left nose polyp but still 100% blocked and my right nose is about 10% blocked.
I can live with this.