It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Please help! Septoplasty and sinus surgery 3 weeks ago...feel worse!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
    avalonrose
    (female)

avalonrose HB User
    Please help! Septoplasty and sinus surgery 3 weeks ago...feel worse!

I had a septoplasty, turbinate reduction, concha bullosa removal and maxillary sinus surgery three weeks ago. The problem is, I feel worse than I did before the surgery! Here are my symptoms:
    1)Constant pain in/on my nose. Hurts to touch it, swelling inside and out.
    2)Pressure in my cheeks, around my eyes and under my nose. This is constant as well. Feels like a bad sinus infection, plus it feels "heavy"
    3)Equilibrium issues that were not there before the surgery. Feel kind of "out of it."

I have told my dr about all this at my appointment a few days ago, but he brushed it off as being normal and that I could expect to feel better in a few week, if not a few months! Is it normal to feel so bad for so long??? He did say that I had the worst deviated septum that he had ever seen...do you think since he obviously had to do a ton of work in there, that I'm experiencing more swelling than someone with a mild to moderate deviation? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Please help! Septoplasty and sinus surgery 3 weeks ago...feel worse!

Yes...you've had a lot done and the welling won't be going down quickly. All sounds normal at this point for that much work.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
    leighsa200
    (female)

leighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB User

Hi,

I feel your pain!! I had septoplasty and turbinate surgery 1 1/2 years ago. It took at least 6 months (if not longer!)for the swelling inside to subside and it hurt to touch my nose in any way for at least that long. I was also very frustrated, but now I have never felt better. I haven't had a sinus infection in over a year, and I don't get any more pressure headaches.

Hang in there, it will get better. Three weeks isn't long at all (I know it feels like forever when you're going through it!)

The Following User Says Thank You to leighsa200 For This Useful Post:
    oregonbigc (11-07-2011)
    Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
    avalonrose
    (female)

avalonrose HB User

Was the outside swollen as well? I feel like my nose looks somewhat different. I'm also thinking I have some kind of infection....my nose is very dry and my nasal passages hurt when I breathe in...so much so that I have needed to take a presciption pain pill for the past few nights.
    I can't believe it takes 6 months to feel better...this surgery is a nightmare, isn't it?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
    leighsa200
    (female)

leighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB User

Yes, the outside of my nose was also swollen during the recovery. Are you using the prescription saline to irrigate for the dryness? My doctor prescribed that and I used it for about 6 weeks or so and it helped alot. If you feel like you're getting an infection you need to see the doctor, just to be sure. I know how hard it is to tell when your nose is a mess to begin with!

It's funny, I had two c sections and, for me, the recovery from the nasal surgery was much worse! Feel better soon.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
    avalonrose
    (female)

avalonrose HB User

Hi,
    No, I don't have prescription saline spray...how is that better than using Ocean, Simply Saline, etc? Is there an ingredient that makes it better?
    I'm really worried about the swelling on the outside of my nose...you said it was swollen during the recovery period, but after about how much time after surgery did it look normal from the outside? Was it swollen on the inside longer than on the outside?
    Sorry so many questions, hope I'm not annoying you. I'm just kind of floundering here...can't believe the recovery takes so long. It's depressing when you can't see any benefits of the surgery, and in fact feel worse than before you had it!
    Thanks so much for replying. You're giving me hope that one day I WILL feel better.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
    mochamilou
    (female)

mochamilou HB User

Dear Avalonrose..I hope you still check your post and replys. How are you feeling now, in June?

The reason I reply is because I had revision rhinoplasty and perforated septum surgery 3 weeks ago and my nose feels so heavy. I have searched and searched for anything online that relates to that, but noone seems to have had this feeling. My nose weighs about 1000 pounds. I am still so stuffed up also.

I am trying to be patient, however, this heavy feeling (my mouth/lip area is also numb as that is where the doctor had to take cartlidge/membraines? out to help repair the perforated septum) doesn't seem to be a normal healing situation, at least not that I can find/read.

I don't think this heavy feeling is normal. Everyone posts that all was well after 2 weeks...bruising gone, swelling down. I feel like I've been hit in the face with a brick.

Has anyone had this risidual effect? I know it's early in the healing process, but again, can't seem to locate anyone who has had this heavy feeling after surgery.

Please advise.

Closed Thread