It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Does TMJ have an affect on ear related sinus issues?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
    madnmas
    (female)

madnmas HB User
    Does TMJ have an affect on ear related sinus issues?

Before I started having trouble with TMJ, I always have had like a popping/crackling sound in my ears when I swallow- for as long as I can remember. I am wondering if TMJ affects this at all, or if I am in fact experiencing both at the same time.

Does anybody here without previous sinus issues have a crackling sound in their ears when they swallow?

And here is the LATEST and STRANGEST symptom I am experiencing:

So last night I wake up (as usual) and notice my jaw is hanging off to the side and I have a terrible headache. I tend to be waking up more and more often to find my jaw in the weirdest position. Long story short, I am up for about an hour this morning and my ears seem "full" but I also literally HEAR this muffled thumping noise. It had no rhythm to it (like my heartbeat). It was just a sporadic "thump" or almost like bass. I am not sure if I was hearing any sort of drainage or what b/c I do feel like I have more drainage than usual this morning. But my ears feel like they are killing me this morning.

So bottom line, can TMJ affect how your sinuses work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Does TMJ have an affect on ear related sinus issues?

Yes it can. I had a history of earaches and swollen glands way before I had tmj. I don't think it meant I had an underlying problem or was pre-tmj though. I thought it might be related to having my tonsils and adnoids out as a child. I couldn't dive into water or go under water too deep and flying would wreck havoc as it would take 3 days or more for my ears to unplug and the pain to stop. Even driving in a car with the windows open bothered me or to go up in an elevator.

I think however the first tmj related earache I did get was about 10 years before the tmj went full blown - I developed not only ear pain but dizziness and a solid lump or swollen area in front of my right ear - I thought it was a cyst - which I have had elsewhere - went to severl diff types of drs and no one found anything - eventually it just went away after a year or so. it was around this time I noticed I was getting frequent sinus headaches along my nose and cheeks and forehead.

My ear noise started as a throbbing or pulsing and then went into a high pitch noise and then progressed to what sounded like static on a radio not tuned in to any station and then it became all of these at the same time with something like waves crashing or a motor running off in the distance - I couldn't hear myself think to be honest - plus everything sounded muffled yet loud noises would make me put my hands to my ears. Once this started the brain fog and a feeling of being disconnected from the real world started as well.

I used to tie a warm moist towel around my head and tie it on top (like bunny ears) - spent a good year like that - the tightness of the towel and of course the warmth and mositure it produced did help to a certain degree.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 06-04-2009 at 07:21 AM.

Closed Thread