It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• sinus problems and odd smells

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
    alphabetsoup
    (female)

alphabetsoup HB User
    sinus problems and odd smells

Okay...here is the deal...

Since I moved back to the US from Australia, I periodically smell woodsmoke when there is NONE anywhere around. I smell it at home, in my office, etc...it isn't constant (comes and goes). But once it kicks in, the problem will last for weeks at a time.

The last time I had this sensation, it lasted a week, then I came down with some flu/cold thing. I told the doctor about my sinuses being congested at that time, and she prescribed two rounds of antibiotics thinking it was a sinus infection. Well it ended up in my chest and a bout with pneumonia (fun fun fun). For the first 4 days however, I couldn't breathe at ALL through my nose, my entire head was blocked solid (I can't take decongestants due to high blood pressure and my nose was so blocked that nasal spray couldn't get up high enough to help). Eating was an exercise in self-asphyxiation because when I'd swallow, my tongue would get suctioned to the roof of my mouth.

Eventually, after 3 weeks of feeling like the living dead, I got over it. NOW, two weeks later, the smoke smell is back, my throat has this annoying tickle that is making me cough and my nose is a bit stuffy (but I can still breathe).

I really want to nip this in the bud.....any suggestions?

Has anyone else had problems with smelling odd things that aren't there...related to a sinus problem??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
    Re: sinus problems and odd smells

I haven't heard of the wood smell. But I have had the ammonia smell. And it kind of burns. It's weird isn't it? Maybe you have a touch of acid reflux?? Sorry...I know it's frustrating. I deal with it all the time.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
    ravadelia
    (female)

ravadelia HB User
    Re: sinus problems and odd smells

Oh my !! Can I ever relate to your problem !!
    No one could understand when I started smelling woodburning several years ago. I nearly drove everyone at work & home crazy. Saw several doctors to no avail.
    Had a head MRI done as they suspected a tumor.. sinus X-rays....All normal..

I had just gotten over a very bad cold (probably walking pneumonia)
    I finally traced ithe wood smell to my co-worker's Musk cologne. The smell seemed to stay in my system for days,even to the extent that I could taste it,making my lips swell up.

I suspect that my immune system was affected from the cold/pneumonia & since then I have been extremely allergic to any perfumes,cleaning products,etc.

I just posted about my Dr appt. today for allergic rhinits on another person's question regarding sinus problems.

Closed Thread