It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Acid Reflux & Sinus symptoms - What's cause and what's effect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
    abbydabbydew
    (female)

abbydabbydew HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux & Sinus symptoms - What's cause and what's effect?

I do wish you terrific luck and please check back in and keep us posted. The GI increased my Prilosec prescription to the 40mg strength, I got it today, and I'm looking at those bottles like they are THE ENEMY. I do not want to start on that 40mg strength. I've banished them to a kitchen cabinet until I have tried everything else I can think of first to keep this reflux at bay.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
    chook439
    (female)

chook439 HB User

abbydabbydew- Thanks for clarifying, but I do realise that the only way to stop the post nasal drip is by treating the reflux, as this is what causes it. I don't think I phrased my question very well, I'm sorry. I just wanted to know what you thought about the Gaviscon, as I don't know anybody else who's tried it. I was on nexium for a while as I said, but it did nothing to help my symptoms (including the pnd). I thought that I might have more luck treating the reflux with Gaviscon, and hopefully this would in turn lessen the post nasal drip.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #18
    melsstv
    (female)

melsstv HB User

OK, here we go. I forgot a few things that I have quit, so add these to the list. I quit intake of fats, limiting caffience to 2 cuppas black in the AM and 32 oz of diet pop .... Alright day 3 no reflux. Yeah!!!... If you can get your hands on a the Medical Weight Loss Diet or get on it, you will have the keys to all of the no no's and all the really good advice they have to offer.... I haven't eaten any potatoes, bread, regular salad dressing. I am increasing the use of vinegar (my idea per this web site) and olive oil in my diet. Regardless, I am eating more food than I can handle. Couldn't finish my dinner last night. As to the Post Nasal Drip, headaches, dizziness, sluggish feeling, crawling on the floor vomiting (vertigo), that is directly related to stomach acid in your sinus cavaties at night. That was a little extreme, but that is what I went through in my 30's. How fun is that, gives you wonderful breath too. The only resolution to that is to stop the acid, from coming up your throat at night. I don't know if this is the correct solution for everyone, but the article about 15% of those diagnosed with GERD are misdiagnosed nailed it for me. I believe that whoever posted the article about not having enough acid is right on after my experiences for the last three days. I have brittle nails, mild anemia, I know I have been poisoning my system for the last 15 years and it was all for naught. Wish me luck, I will keep you all updated, understand that what I have done is an extreme, but I am 52 and needed to find solutions to live will for the next 50. I will keep you all updated. THX for your support. Mel SSL

Old 02-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #19
    abbydabbydew
    (female)

abbydabbydew HB User

chook - Post-nasal drip may or may not be caused by acid reflux. It could be related to allergies, sinus infections, etc. that are independent of AR. Just wanted to throw that out there. I'm not sure my post-nasal drip is related to my LPR at all. Might be; might not be. I'm not sure about much of anything where reflux is concerned! It's all rather a guessing game most of the time.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:06 AM   #20
    Nyico
    (female)

Nyico HB User

I'd go slowly with getting off ppi meds. I did that once to and for some reason became so constipated I thought I'd explode! First eliminate 1 pill per week, then 2 etc. etc.
    I am down to a 1x40mg nexium every other day and doing pretty good. I tend to chew 1 gaviscon right before I go to bed just in case there is any acid reflux. I don't notice acid reflux at night per say but I can tell in the morning if I've had some reflux by the way my throat feels. I drink Aloe Vera Juice 1xDay (tastes bad) this helps to heal your esophogus and also added bonus of keeping you "regular". I also try and make sure that I drink close to 8 glasses of water per day and try to get some fibre each day! I just bought a book that talks a lot about bowel mvmnt. and reflux connection. I also drink and herbal tea mix once a day as well (if I remember). Don't get me wrong ....I'm not a total health nut freak.....LOVE my coffee and won't give it up for anything.........though I try and cut back a bit during times of reflux. Gaviscon really does work differently than many other antacids as it creates a foam barrier that coats your throat and lays on top of whatever is in your stomach and it really does prevent acid from backing up. I do consider it a bandage but it's really important not to let that initial acid back up at all or you will continue to feel the effects of the acid on your esophogus etc.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #21
    abbydabbydew
    (female)

abbydabbydew HB User

Good tips, nyico. Thanks. I started trying to eliminate Prilosec last week but think I went too fast, so I stepped back up again. I may go ahead and try what you're doing - the 40mg but every other day. The GI prescribed it mostly (I think) for the convenience of taking it 1/day instead of the 20mg twice/day, but I really don't want to take that much omeprazole at one time. I think it's delayed release tho', so perhaps there's not much difference between taking the 40mg vs. two 20mg? I dunno - anyone more knowledgeable than me want to weigh in on this?

Old 02-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #22
    melsstv
    (female)

melsstv HB User

Day 4 - NO ACID REFLUX -A little constipation, but that is easily cured with Benefiber. I don't have any while I'm sleeping at night either, how do I know this 20 years experience! I am cured. If you would like to know how, review this thread and my posts. I have suffered for 20 years, no more, it was always so simple and I was too ignorant to figure it out. Bye Mel

Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #23
    hawkins6
    (female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User

This discusion is mind opening and frustrating all at the same time. I've had acid reflux for 15+ years, sinus for the last 4-5 and now I have burning mouth that feels like acid is dripping down through my gums. No doctor and dentist I have been to has even mentioned a connection to these ailments. Is there a doctor or a dentist around that knows that these conditions might be connected? Seems the ones I've been to are only interested in treating their particular field of medicine..the ENT treat sinus, the gastro treats acid reflux, the dentist treats tooth decay. They have even gone as far as to deny any connection. Meanwhile, I suffer with whatever. If we know there's a connection, why doesn't the medical field? Anyone know of any research or clinical trials to this effect?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #24
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    Is there a doctor or a dentist around that knows that these conditions might be connected?
    There are lots of doctors - ENTs, Allergists and Gastroenterologists who are aware of the connection between acid reflux and chronic sinus issues. There have been a number of studies that have explored the link between the two conditions and the success in improving sinus symptoms by treating acid reflux.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to spend time searching for the right doctor to help deal with these inter-connected conditions, so I would encourage you to keep looking and be bold in asking any doctors you see if they're aware of the connection.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:48 AM   #25
    melsstv
    (female)

melsstv HB User

Hi - No, there are no doctors out there that cover all of the items that you are dealing with. I have spent 20 years looking for a cure. If you are using glucose, sucrose or any other type of sugar in your diet quit. If you are using salts, quit. If you drink alcohol, quit. Increase your protien intake and decrease carbs and fats. Let me know if your gum bleeding is cyclical, it often is with us girls even if we don't notice it most of the time. I thought mine was all the time, but have since figured out is only about 3 weeks out of the month LOL. < edited> I have not had GERD, bleeding gums, achy joints for a week now. That is not the norm for me, usually I take Omiprazole every morning and I am lucky if I don't get unrelievable heartburn at least once during the day, with mild heartburn all day. Best of luck ! Mel

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-22-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as name, telephone or email address. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #26
    hawkins6
    (female)

I do not have bleeding gums anymore (I used to about a year ago). I have a burning in my gums and on my tongue. I have been on a low sugar, low carb diet ever since my hubby got diabeties last year. In fact, that's when this all started. I first noticed the burning gums while eating apples every day and thought maybe that was the cause. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I had the TIF procedure in December, hoping that if it was my reflux causing the burning, that would help. It didn't. If you still feel what you have done will help me, let me know and I'll e-mail you direct. Thanks for your time.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #27
    melsstv
    (female)

melsstv HB User

It sounds that you are at least on your way to beginning to mend, I would guess that when you went on your husbands diet it helped to stabilize a certain amount of PMS or PMDD. I don't have an immediate answer for the problem you have, but I will help you with your research. I am so happy to be over my GERD, that I feel like I have been blessed with miracle. 20 years of hell, because of medical ignorance!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-02-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #28
    melsstv
    (female)

melsstv HB User

p.s. - have you increased all of your B- vitamins to rule out a vitamin deficiency? I use alot of B-6 and get B-12 shots once a week. The B-12 shots are available from a weight-loss clinic, I am not obese, but the Medical Weight Loss Diet has gotten rid of all of my GERD. Thinking I'd like to open a clinic to help people like myself who have suffered forever. Has your GERD gone away except for what you believe is tied to your burning mouth?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:54 AM   #29
    melsstv
    (female)

melsstv HB User

Hi - Found something called "Burning Mouth Syndrome", it is not tied to GERD, but it sounds like that is what you have. Try hunting that down

Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #30
    hawkins6
    (female)

I have researched burning mouth sydrome and feel that's probably what I have. But, i'm exploring any possible cause...dental/acid reflux/hormones/sinus. I have had all the bloodwork recommended for burning mouth but nothing seems adnormal. Have had all the Bs tested and they are normal. Thanks for your recommendations. It helps to know that somebody will at least take me seriously. The doctors give me their ear for the 12 minute appontment and than are on their way. I will say that I've found some really great dentists who have gone out of their way to help, but unfortunately everything they have tried hasn't made a difference. And than there's the cost of all this!

Closed Thread