It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Acid Reflux & Sinus symptoms - What's cause and what's effect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #31
    hawkins6
    (female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux & Sinus symptoms - What's cause and what's effect?

To MELSSTV - In answer to your question. My acid reflux went away for a while after the TIF procedure but I was constantly fighting the feeling of reflux, especially at night. I finally broke down a week ago and am back on one PPI a day...which is an improvement over the 4 I was taking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #32
    melsstv
    (female)

melsstv HB User

Hi, I have been through 30 years of hell and would like to help you if I could. I don't have the burning mouth, but but have had serious PMDD and Reflux. I am on that has gotten rid of my GERD totally. I haven't taken any PPI's in 2 weeks and have only had a spot of normal heartburn for about 1/2 hour one day since I quit. I don't know why this diet is working, but it is and it is really easy to follow. Don't let the doctors tell you it is all in your head, I've heard the same thing myself, made me feel hopeless. Figured out Dr's can be pretty stupid. Good Luck Melody

Last edited by moderator2; 03-02-2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 03-02-2010, 03:34 AM   #33
    melsstv
    (female)

melsstv HB User

Hawkins - Have you read the information from Mayo Clinic on Burning Mouth Syndrome? p.s. - even if they are not finding anything, it is because there are really no good tests for it. Mel

Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #34
    abbydabbydew
    (female)

abbydabbydew HB User

Those of you following other threads know I'm trying to wean from the PPI and stopped cold-turkey this past weekend on account of a stomach virus I picked up. Well, 5 days of no PPIs and today I'm noticing that my sinus drainage is way back up, the ole' sore throat is returning, and my voice is changing. Aaaargggh - it is frustrating because I do not know if this is related to stopping the PPI. I NEVER experience heartburn and it is never obvious to me that I'm refluxing. This sinus linkage is perplexing, but my ENT said the linkage is often there with LPR. While I was on the PPI I did seem to have next to no sinus drainage for the first time in years. It was a beautiful thing! If the sinus symptoms don't recede soon, I guess I'll either restart some PPI therapy or go back and let the ENT take a look in there again to see what's what.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #35
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chook439 View Post
    abbydabbydew- Thanks for clarifying, but I do realise that the only way to stop the post nasal drip is by treating the reflux, as this is what causes it. I don't think I phrased my question very well, I'm sorry. I just wanted to know what you thought about the Gaviscon, as I don't know anybody else who's tried it. I was on nexium for a while as I said, but it did nothing to help my symptoms (including the pnd). I thought that I might have more luck treating the reflux with Gaviscon, and hopefully this would in turn lessen the post nasal drip.
    Chook: Your post is a few days old and you may have already received the requested information on Gaviscon. But Gaviscon is a special type of antiacid called an alginate. It forms a layer over your esophagus and the top of whatever is in your stomach so it does not back up into your throat. There are Gaviscon pills and Gaviscon liquid. I prefer the liquid. I take a tablespoon at night to coat my throat and help prevent reflux. I have found it very effective as I do not wake up with nausea and throat irritation in the mornings. I think it can cause some rebound if you use too much which is why I use a little bit at bedtime only.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread