HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   Sinus dryness and inflammation (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/713771-sinus-dryness-inflammation.html)

tigger67 09-21-2009 04:32 PM

Sinus dryness and inflammation

Since I started the cytomel, my neck has felt more swollen than ever. I assumed this was the Hashi's and that eventually my thyroid would balance out with the new med. I'm still not feeling well even on half a dose (heart still beating a little fast, still tired, thirsty and now sinuses are extremely dry and inflammed). I just went thru sinus surgery in March and don't want my sinuses messed up again. They were so dry the other day that when I did my nasal rinse, blood was coming out. They're so inflammed though that I can't do the nasal rinse because the water can't go thru my nose.

So just wondering if this inflammation is because of the cytomel or because I'm getting too much of it. I know I won't know for sure until the labs, but that's another week and a half away. In the meantime, I can't breathe thru my nose half the time. Even Astepro isn't working that much.

herekittykitty 09-22-2009 03:18 AM

Re: Sinus dryness and inflammation

I couldn't believe it when I logged on this morning and saw this post. My sinuses have been inflamed also where my nose will be completely blocked off and I can't breathe. This has been going on for me for several months and I have wondered if it had anything to do with thyroid medications, as it seems to have happened about the time I started. I am on a very low dose of Naturethroid. Before that I was on Armour (couldn't get it because of the shortage, now can't get Naturethroid). I am on a low dose because I have Hashi's, but my labs were normal (in the 50% range). I'm having no other problems from the meds. and not sure if the sinus issue is from the meds. or not, but it's miserable. It's not like an allergy where you produce more mucous, just dry and inflamed, and closed up.

tigger67 09-22-2009 03:34 AM

Oh I know! Completey dry, no mucous, just dry and closed up. My Astepro didn't even work. I tried my nasal rinse and the water couldn't get thru my nose because both sides were closed up.

It sounds like you didn't need the extra T3 and it's causing havoc with your Hashi's, like it's doing with me.

herekittykitty 09-22-2009 12:16 PM

Tigger,
So you don't know for sure if it is the medications causing this? Have you found anywhere that this is a side effect of thyroid meds?

I also wanted to ask you if you are having severe mouth dryness? My nose is so stopped up at night that I have to breathe completely out of my mouth. This dries my mouth out so much that I wake up and can't swallow because my mouth and throat are so severely dry. I have also had a burned feeling on my lips and twice have woken up and my lips have been swelled, all I think from the severe dryness of having to breathe out of my mouth at night. So do you think this is all related to thryoid meds?

tigger67 09-22-2009 01:57 PM

No, I don't think it was a side effect of the thyroid meds. What I think happened with me was the high dose caused a Hashi's flare. I say this because my neck was also swollen to the point that my pills were getting stuck in my throat. So I'm guessing the high dose caused inflammation everywhere. My throat has been very dry for the last several months and I've also been dehydrated. Also, not a side effect since this was happening before the cytomel. I think it was from my adrenals working overtime.

herekittykitty 09-22-2009 02:16 PM

Okay, interesting. I did read somewhere that a symptom of being hypothyroid was rhinitis (inflammation of the nasal passages). It said rhinitis can also be caused from hormones.