It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• bad headache 4 weeks after having sinus surgery and a septoplasty

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
    jennie28
    (female)

jennie28 HB User
    bad headache 4 weeks after having sinus surgery and a septoplasty

4 weeks ago i underwent 6 surgeries a uppp, with the tonsils and adnoids, and what thew doctor called a fess surgery, well for the last 4 days i have been suffering with this horrible headache and nothing seems to help relieve it, ive tried allergy meds, aleve, everything otc pretty much. what is causing this headache and is it normal....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: bad headache 4 weeks after having sinus surgery and a septoplasty

There's no way to know what's causing it but, since you recently had surgery, you really should contact the surgeon to let him/her know abut the headache.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I second the recommendation to call the doc. I had a septoplasty/rhinoplasty operation 3 weeks ago and this past week wound up with a sinus infection. I had the bad headache and lots of congestion. Had to go on a round of antibiotics and prednisone.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
    Alan82
    (male)

Alan82 HB User

Hi Jennie. Here's my story and it's quite similar to yours. Please let us know if your headache issue is resolved and what was done about it. I also wanted to add that on my last ENT followup, I told him about the headaches and he gave me Astepro which did nothing. I think he feels as if I am a hypochondriac!

SEVERE CHRONIC HEADACHES AFTER SINUS SURGERY:
    I am a 47 y/o healthy male. I had septoplasty and several polyps removed in early December. My allergist originally saw a problem, ordered a CT and referred me to an ENT. I had no idea how messed up my sinus was. The surgery went fine. I had packing saturated with liquid cocaine and Afrin, which was removed in the recovery room and kept me up for 2 days. After about 2 weeks of healing I noticed headaches that would start later in the day and would be triggered by coughing, sneezing or any light straining. I ASSumed they would go away when I fully healed. It's been 3 1/2 months now and the headaches affect EVERYTHING I do. Now they are triggered early in the day by anything (cough, clear throat, etc...) We're talking SEVERE! I have NEVER had headaches before this surgery and now I wish I had my stuffy nose back! I saw my primary Thursday, then got an MRI right after. Now I am to see a Neuro doc on Tues, after a F/O ? my ENT. The neuro doc was fully booked for 3 wks, but after my doc called, he adjusted his sched...hmmm...
    This is quite scary. Anyone with similar experiences? Any feedback would help. Words of CAUTION to anyone having their sinuses operated on: You are taking a chance, as with any surgery, but consider what has happened in my case as a warning. You may just be better off "bearing your cross"
    Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by Alan82; 03-13-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
    Alan82
    (male)

Alan82 HB User

Thanks gcsjr. I'm going to the ENT tomorrow. I did tell him about this weeks ago at my followup and he just gave an me Astepro sample which did nothing. I know if this were serious, the radiologist would have alarmed my doc (I hope). It feels serious. Pain is a wake-up call from you body. Rather than accept it and mask it with drugs, I need to find the cause if possible. It's no coincidence I've NEVER had a headache and now, since my surgery, this is negatively affecting everything I do. I live and eat healthy. There is no reason for this.

Last edited by Alan82; 03-14-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alan82 View Post
    ... SEVERE CHRONIC HEADACHES AFTER SINUS SURGERY: ... It's been 3 1/2 months now and the headaches affect EVERYTHING I do. Now they are triggered early in the day by anything (cough, clear throat, etc...) We're talking SEVERE! ...
    Have you considered Acupuncture?

Both my wife and I have had positive results from Acupuncture. In my wife's case, she had chronic, severe, 24 hour-per-day headaches as a result of ear surgery. Of course, her surgeon said that the headaches could not possibly come from his surgery.

The Acupuncture clinic associated with the University of Miami treated the meridian running down from her ear, to her finger tips, and on her back. Since then, her headaches have been gone for over 30 years.

Acupuncture is particularly effective against pain, IMHO.

In my case, I have used Acupuncture to treat my allergies and sinusitis.

I have been so impressed by Acupuncture, that I purchased my own Acupuncture stimulator, for which I have experimented quite a few times with mixed results.

Anyways...... thought I would throw out the Acupuncture option for discussion. One caveat, though, is that one has to be very careful when chosing a physician to do the Acupuncture. There are just as many bad Acupuncture Doctors as there are other types of doctors.

⇒ My cheap asthma inhaler is Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 03-14-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Closed Thread