HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   Sinus Rinse Spray or Netti Pot? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/721053-sinus-rinse-spray-netti-pot.html)

cody48 11-05-2009 06:33 PM

Sinus Rinse Spray or Netti Pot?

I hope that this is posted in the correct area. I have been told that I probably have allergy problems but I've never been tested. I have usually one sinus infection a year but it's never at the same time of the year. I had one in June that was a doozy....bad coughing, actually thought I might have broken a rib. I went to the doctor, got some meds but it took about 2 wks. to completely get over it and the cough continued to hang on for a while. In August started getting another one but this time it was mainly just a nasal thing with congestion and drainage. Took about 5 days and then all was fine. Went on a cruise in September and on the last night of the cruise the same thing happened, about 5 days (all nasal) and then it was over. In September, went to see my mother-in-law and on the last day same thing again. Took about 7 days to completely get over that one.

I had decided to finally break down and get a Netti Pot but a friend said that the Sinus Rinse Spray was better. I bought it and started reading the info and am wondering if the Netti Pot is better. Does anyone have any experience or information that might help. I'm just afraid that I'm going to DROWN MYSELF with this thing......either of them. Suggestions?

Titchou 11-05-2009 06:57 PM

Re: Sinus Rinse Spray or Netti Pot?

Surely you jest! No, you won't drown yourself! Try the spray first. If it doesn't do the trick, then try the Neti Pot. Sprays are only $2-$3 so it's no great loss..

MountainReader 11-05-2009 07:20 PM

Trying either should be better than not doing anything at all. I use the Neti pot for "cleaning" things out and the saline sprays to keep my nasal passages hydrated.

BeHappy2 11-05-2009 09:36 PM

Netti Pot works best for me.

you may just need to try and see which one works best for you

Be Well
BeHappy2

gcsjr 11-06-2009 03:22 AM

I strongly prefer the SinusRinse bottle (but either would be better than doing nothing). It gives you a little more control over the stream of saline and makes it easier to get saline to the nooks and crannies of the ethmoid sinuses, and is a bit more convenient to use.

cody48 11-06-2009 05:38 AM

Thanks for all responses. I do appreciate hearing from those with experience.

wakkochic17 11-06-2009 11:15 AM

I agree with MountainReader.. for me I use the NeilMed Sinus Rinse system. I use that to clean out my sinuses, and then use the nasal spray throughout the day as needed (more so in the winter when things are dry) to keep my sinuses hydrated.

Greenjuice 11-07-2009 04:31 PM

Think someone said this already but let me repeat. Neti pot is a must for clearing and cleaning out the dust, irritants, food particles, etc and opening your sinuses to properly drain. Then the nasal mists are only good for keeping membranes moist, and clean.

Neti-pot is like brushing my teeth.

BEDY 11-09-2009 03:54 PM

One thing I notice with the Sinus Rinse bottle is that if not careful you can put way more pressure in your sinuses than some can handle based on ear issues.....at times, it seems as if I keep water in my ear when I use the NeilMed Bottle...so I am wondering if the Neti Pot would be better for me..I have had allergy testing and know I have indoor/outdoor allergies...but I also must ask the original poster, Have you had a CT of your nasal cavity? I ask because you sound like I did... It was found out that I had a large nasal spur and deviated septum...I just had them both fixed about 5 weeks ago...I am hoping that as time goes on, things get much better, I can definitely breath better, but I still have to consider the allergy issues.....

bobbisocks 04-18-2010 06:55 AM

Hi
You sound like me until I finally gave up on doctors and bought a netti pot. It is great, simple to use, makes all the difference for me as I can't take most meds without dreadful side affects. I went to an ENT doc and he actually told me to use it as many times a day as I want, it will not hurt you. And about drowning, once you get the hang of it, that won't even enter your mind. The key is lean your head over the sink, pour the water through one nostril, and BREATH THROUGH YOUR MOUTH. If you try breathing through your nose you will not like it. It makes your head feel so much better,I can't say enough good things about it. I make my own saline solution and keep it in a jar. Give it a try, you will love it.
Good luck from a fellow sufferer.
BobbieP