HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   Are our nasty sinus problems and Asthma misery caused by common household items? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/723777-our-nasty-sinus-problems-asthma-misery-caused-common-household-items.html)

Machaon 11-22-2009 12:48 AM

Are our nasty sinus problems and Asthma misery caused by common household items?

The CDC has documented over 300 items, from plastics (including Phthalates) to rubbers, to cleaners, etc., whose offgassing of tiny, trace elements, have wrecked havoc upon the millions of allergy and Asthma sufferers around the world, especially in developed countries, such as the US and throughout Europe. Asthma and allergy related illnesses, especially among our children, are increasing dramatically each year, especially in our developed, modern countries.

It seems like every time our chemical industries come out with a newly invented chemical or product, it goes out into the workplace, or our homes, without first being tested for it's effects on our health. Nice isn't it?

So..... if you are in misery with stuffed, nasty sinuses, or breathing problems, and are wondering what could be causing your misery, just look around your home, ...... at your cleaners....... at your plastics...... at your rubber products, even innocuous products like the rubber gaskets in your sink drains. :dizzy:

It isn't just the pollens and pollutants in the outside air that causes misery for allergy sufferers, it is the indoor air also. No where to escape!!! :eek: :mad: :confused:

Greenjuice 11-24-2009 08:10 AM

Re: Are our nasty sinus problems and Asthma misery caused by common household items?

From someone who is allergic to everything w/chronic sinusitis:

Everything you mentioned in your home would have caused me to suffer severely 2 years ago, when I decided to take control of my allergies, since they were keeping me from enjoying life.

Indoor is hard, but I'm not there very often.
-(Gym, running, yoga, student, employed). Exercise-100+ benefits added
-I sleep on an allergy proof mattress sheet/wrap
-I specifically searched for hard wood floor apartments
-Have a hepa filter
-Use netti pot once-twice daily
-Drink PLENTY of water, green tea, whitesage mint tea, cayenne peppered
water, warm water
-No sugar. Ever. Cutting it out was harder than I sought after to, but the
relief from mucus build up..dramatically out weighs sugar intake.
-Sugar substitute for xylitol. Natural sweetner as well as anti-microbial
-Water. Water, and then when your bored? Water. Get creative, healthy.
-Go for walks. Those are so much fun and great to get those membranes
moving
-Yoga has really improved my circulation of blood and respiratory system
-You CAN do it, if not provide the relief you know and are most comfortable
with. Can always give pointers and ideas and advice here. :)
-Keep nasal membranes moist and clear of sugar or toxic garbage.

All of this plus healthy living-great multi and fish oil, has my allergies at bay. The kleanex box now lasts for several months, rather a day. It's a battle you have to fight, but this one you always finish better than you think. ;)

Machaon 11-24-2009 09:34 AM

Re: Are our nasty sinus problems and Asthma misery caused by common household items?

[QUOTE=Greenjuice;4130787]All of this plus healthy living-great multi and fish oil, has my allergies at bay. The kleanex box now lasts for several months, rather a day. It's a battle you have to fight, but this one you always finish better than you think. ;)[/QUOTE]

You are a good example of how positive action and following through with a good plan can take the place of relying on our broken, and soon to get much worse, medical system.

Unfortunately, what helps you or me doesn't necessarily help someone else, but you've documented some positive steps for others to think about.

You didn't make any friends over at Kleenex, but you "made it work" and greatly improved the quality of your own health and life!

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"][B]Congrats!!![/B][/SIZE][/COLOR] :wave:

Greenjuice 11-24-2009 09:44 AM

Aww thank you. That was very nice and appreciated. Always listen to your body and think positive, I know you can find relief somewhere somehow! :)

Machaon 11-24-2009 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Greenjuice;4130864] ... I know you can find relief somewhere somehow! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but through Allergy Shots, Acupuncture and proper diet and exercise, my sinus and asthma problems are under reasonable control. My main problem with indoor allergens is that they tend to over-stimulate my NeuroHormonal and Immune Systems, causing difficult problems with my Heart Failure.

The main reason why Heart Failure kills and debilitates so many is because of the over-stimulation of the NeuroHormonal and Immune Systems. So...... as long as I avoid that which over-stimulates, I am surviving these nasty heart diseases and doing much better than normally expected. It is still, though, a full time job staying one step ahead of Heart Failure. :dizzy:

But thanks for the kind words! :)

Arggg 01-20-2010 11:00 AM

Greenjuice is right on. I would add that you should [B]avoid:[/B]

1) dairy - esp milk and ice cream (can cause congestion, digestive problems, bone loss, dizziness, asthma, and much worse)

2) orange juice (can make you congested)

3) soda pop (worst thing in the world for you, diet and non-diet)

4) refined or processed foods

5) soy, esp soy milk (common allergen)

6) fruit juice in general and sweetened drinks (they can make you stuffy).

I've given up [I]most[/I] of these and feel 100 times better. Look up "allergy thresholds". Some people can tolerate a few allergens, but when they're overloaded they start to feel sick. Eliminate as many allergens as you can. You won't be able to get rid of them all, but you will probably feel better anyway.

Machaon 01-20-2010 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=Arggg;4167312]Greenjuice is right on. I would add that you should [B]avoid:[/B]

2) orange juice (can make you congested)

5) soy, esp soy milk (common allergen)

6) fruit juice in general and sweetened drinks (they can make you stuffy).

I've given up [I]most[/I] of these and feel 100 times better.[/QUOTE]

I found your post interesting. We all have differences in the triggers of our Asthma and Sinus Allergies. In my case, I can drink as much Orange Juice as I want, and eat and drink as much Soy as I want, and it has absolutely no effect on my allergies. In fact, I eat both Soy and Oranges frequently each day.

I avoid the other items on your list, but not necessarily because of allergies.

One man's poison is another man's pleasure! :D

Regards....... :wave: