It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sharp sinus pain during flights

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
    halespawn
    (male)

halespawn HB User
    Sharp sinus pain during flights

I have a problem that my sister has suggested i see a doctor about but i honestly don't want to go in for something that may be a minor deal. So, i figured the compromise would be to ask someone who has heard of my occasional symptoms.

Ok, so I fly a lot around the country; on some flights around 30 minutes or so before we land i get a sharp stabbing sensation in what feels like behind my eyebrows. The sensation spreads to behind my eyes. The pain is excruciating and the intensity of the sensation differs though the location is always the same. It feels like daggers are stabbing my eyes from inside my head. On one occasion, i went to spit excess phlegm in my nose in the restroom after the flight and spit out blood instead (gross i know, sorry 'bout that). Now, this doesn't happen all the time, only some of the time. I figured it had something to do with the change in pressure or something but i don't know and it isn't a problem most folks have. Any insight on this matter would greatly be appreciated. Thankyou.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
    Re: Sharp sinus pain during flights

It could have something to do with your ears. My daught-in-law busted an ear drum while flying, it bled. You should see a doc.

Sunny

Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
    halespawn
    (male)

halespawn HB User

Thankyou for your input, and so quickly too. Maybe it IS my ears, maybe its all that cellphone usage lol. Looks like i will have to go see a doctor soon about this.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
    lgroadrunner
    (female)

lgroadrunner HB User

Dear Halespawn,

I just conducted a search to see if anyone else reports the same sympton I have. I also have had this exact sympton about 5-6 times in my life. Always when the plane is descending. Have you seen anyone yet about this? I have a feeling it is the air pressure change when they pressurize the plane as they descend to make the pressure similar to what is on the ground before landing. I don't know why other people don't seem to have the problem we have. I have thought it must be a sinus issue. I don't have any symptoms before flying. It isnt related to my ears, because I can relieve the pressure in my ears just fine. I have taken sinus pressure meds before flying overseas and I didnt have the pressure problem but that may be a coincidence. My pain usually happens above my left eye right behind my eyebrow. I try to help by blowing my nose repeatedly or pushing hard on my eyebrow ridge which sometimes alleviates maybe 10-15% of the pain. The 1st time it happened I thought I was having an aneurism or something fatal, lol...Please keep in touch if you find out something...Loren

Quote:
    Originally Posted by halespawn View Post
    I have a problem that my sister has suggested i see a doctor about but i honestly don't want to go in for something that may be a minor deal. So, i figured the compromise would be to ask someone who has heard of my occasional symptoms.

Ok, so I fly a lot around the country; on some flights around 30 minutes or so before we land i get a sharp stabbing sensation in what feels like behind my eyebrows. The sensation spreads to behind my eyes. The pain is excruciating and the intensity of the sensation differs though the location is always the same. It feels like daggers are stabbing my eyes from inside my head. On one occasion, i went to spit excess phlegm in my nose in the restroom after the flight and spit out blood instead (gross i know, sorry 'bout that). Now, this doesn't happen all the time, only some of the time. I figured it had something to do with the change in pressure or something but i don't know and it isn't a problem most folks have. Any insight on this matter would greatly be appreciated. Thankyou.

Closed Thread