It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• working out and sinus tachycardia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
    angelwella
    (female)

angelwella HB User
    working out and sinus tachycardia

Hi all-

I'm new here trying to get some advice while Im waiting to see my cardiologist. I am 27 years old and have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycaridia Syndrome) basically sinus tachycardia and my heart skips. I dont remember the exact diagnoses for the heart skipping but it was something my doctor said he wasnt gonna pay much attention to it till it bothered me in my daily life. Anyhow- I recently started working out 5 days a week. I started out on the treadmill going three miles and my heart rate stayed in 150s at aboout 3 mph... It was hard for me to burn calories cause my heart beat so fast it wore me out too quick. I recently moved to the bike and can go 14 miles. It helps a lot. I want to start working out harder though. Is it very dangerous for my heart to be really fast for long periods of time or is it okay because its just for an hour then a calm it down?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
    sico
    (male)

sico HB User
    Re: working out and sinus tachycardia

I have the same problem. Every nite I run 250 steps up and no prob. In the morning, I get Palps big time.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
    lltomich
    (female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User
    Re: working out and sinus tachycardia

I can't comment on how to cure the POTS but I can comment on the safety of your heart going fast for a long period of time. I just had an ablation 2 months ago for AVNRT and with that your heart is normally around 200 beats a minute sometimes even 220 or 230 and I went with that for 5 or 6 hours at a time and it didn't harm me in anyway and I'm 51 years old. I'm not recommending you do that frankly because it tires you out after 2 or 3 hours but 150 would seem slow to someone like me in all honesty and most likely wouldn't harm you. AFib folks have that awful irregular beat and sometimes they have it for hours too and that's far more dangerous than a fast regular rhythm. So don't let it scare you, it should be fine but of course you want to try and find a solution/cure if you can. I know how you feel about the exercise. I will have PAC's for life even though I think my ablation worked and that's enough to make you nuts when you exercise. Flip flop, skips, jumps, can't have a normal heart. I don't even care anymore, I want to lose weight so I'm doing an hour a day no matter what. I think the key is to really listen to your body. If you start to "feel" like it's too much back down and go a little slower briefly. I think the key is to gradually build up the exercise, a little more, then a little more and so on. It may take you longer to build up to what a normal person can do but with time and patience I think it will be fine. That's been my reality over the years and it's been plenty of years being born with a congenital heart problem. Best Wishes.

Closed Thread