It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Allergies, Sinusitis, or Anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
    jaketone
    (male)

jaketone HB User
    Unhappy Allergies, Sinusitis, or Anxiety/Stress?

I'm 28 years old and have been having problems for about a year now. I don't know where to start as this will not only be my first post, but my first time publicly putting my story out there. You see, the entire past 1.5 years has been absolutely the worst of my life and I feel like it's come full circle.

I've never had allergies, surgeries, or major health problems. At 5'7" and weighing in at 237, my weight was my biggest health problem, but I never worried about it.

About 2 years ago, my family and I moved into a home and this is where my life changed for the worse but also the better. While living in this home, we each came down with bronchitis for the first time ever in our lives. A month or two later, I would get it again and this is where it began.

I went to my Primary Care Physician for the first time in years (again, I am young and lazy and therefore never went in - not even for annual checkups). By this point, I'm pretty wound up about it and he feels its Anxiety and/or acid reflux. I am not sure I ever had acid reflux because I only had heart burn after taking the pills, but I digress. Eventually I'd stop taking the acid reflux pills as I felt no improvement. If anything, I felt worse, and sure, by now, anxious because I've felt no improvement.

Ever since then, I feel as though I've been swallowing large amounts of mucus and it's literally driven me nuts. At night I experience an itchy throat (sometimes a sore throat) and when I lay down I get congested. It's to the point where I feel like I've had a head cold for a year, only no daily headaches or pressure.

I've seen my Dr. 3-4 times since and have tried antihistamine, steroid nose spray, and sudafed. I can't remember which of these provided my relief because it was about this time last year but eventually the symptoms suppressed and I stopped taking the medicines, but eventually it all came back. By the time I'd get home from work, I felt like my face was melting off and I just wanted to goto bed.

Explaining this to my dr. he pushed anxiety and a bit of depression. To lead a life with no health problems to suddenly this made me worried and therefore was my every thought. In January I began taking Buspar for anxiety hoping it would eliminate the 'head cold' feeling.

Well it hasn't and I feel I'm exactly where I started. I don't know what it is nor what to do. I just started taking 50mg Pseudoephedrine (the real stuff - not the OTC with PE) and am on day two of that. But I still feel sad and hopeless. If I call my Dr. I am afraid he'll just resort back to anxiety and I don't want that - I just want to not feel as though I will have a head cold for the rest of my life. Since October my eyes have been stinging and been irritated on a daily basis. Eye doctor said it was chronic dry eye but I get seemingly no relief from anything so I chalk it up to one more thing I can't seem to get rid of.

From the research, it seems as though it's allergies or sinusitis... is there any sure way to tell and how can I get rid of it?

Side note: since all of this, I've lost 50-60++ lbs and now run 5-8 miles a day and have been for almost a year now.

Last edited by jaketone; 04-23-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
    tmrots
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
    Re: Allergies, Sinusitis, or Anxiety?

I feel for you, sounds like it is miserable. I would go back to the doctor and if you are not crazy about him, see another one. An allergist may be a better choice, that will determine what you're dealing with. Sounds like seasonal allergies, or something in the house. Not every doctor is the right fit, so this current one may not be the one for you. Don't let him write you off as anxious, you may be, but, find out why. good luck.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
    jaketone
    (male)

jaketone HB User

My Dr. has been fine and seen me every-time... I just feel like an idiot every time really. I pretty much assume he says "oh great, here's the anxious hypochondriac".

Unfortunately with Kaiser, I have to get a referral from my primary care in order to see an allergist. Perhaps now is the time to just bite the bullet.

If I do have allergies, would the cetirizine hydrochloride tablets work immediately or take 2-3 weeks for full affect?

I realize a quick answer would be to pop the pill and find out... but because of how far I've come and the 'full circle' I feel I'm experiencing, I really want to be thorough. I.e. write down my symptoms before I take xxx medicine, then write down if those symptoms are gone after taking xxx medicine for xx days. I am not interested in just popping pills until I find the right combination as I truly want to get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by jaketone; 04-23-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
    tmrots
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

I dont' blame you for not wanting to just pop pills, I dont' like them either. Maybe allergy shots are for you. I think going to an allergist is the way to go. Get the referral and try and see how it goes. You are too young not to feel good. My allergist told me to take the zyrtek or claritan for two weeks before the allergy season to start building it up in my system, i dont' think one pill once does the job.
    I hope this helps and that you get relief soon.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
    jaketone
    (male)

jaketone HB User

Again thanks. I just emailed my primary care physician and he's made a referral to an allergist for tomorrow!

I'm also on day 1 of the antihistamine which I took last night. Normally when I lay down I get congested but last night when I took it and laid down, I felt GREAT!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
    elsajo
    (female)

elsajo HB Userelsajo HB User

hello. i too have sinistus, an absolute nightmare it is i have just started antihistimine. see how it goes. i just read that you had it before and taken antihistimes and it cleared eventually. thanx because i have taken them before and realizing now i never really gave them long enough to work, so i'll try again.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
    jaketone
    (male)

jaketone HB User

Well... I'm reviving this post as a follow up.

I saw an allergist and they performed the skin test to see if I was allergic to the common things(dust, pollen, dander, etc). The results returned dust and nothing else really. I've replaced all feather/down pillows from my bed and replaced them with 100% cotton and I make it a point to wash my bedding twice a week. I feel that this has helped as I haven't been congested since... but I still wake up with a mild headache or get one mid-day.

The allergy dr. told me to try using flonase and take the zyrtec if I feel I need it -- but I haven't yet as I'm still confused about this whole thing. If I was have an allergic reaction to dust, why, then when I leave the house do I still feel the same way? I still have a daily mildly sore throat and am always swallowing mucus/snorting my nose.

Any suggestions or advice? I purchased quercetin with bromelain and have been taking it 3x a day for about 5 days now... I don't know that I've noticed any difference.

Last edited by jaketone; 08-16-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Symptoms can last hours after you are exposed to the allergen, and it's impossible to completely eliminate dust from your environment, although you can do a lot to reduce your exposure.

Yeah, my allergist is the same way about antihistamines, like he doesn't care whether I take them or not.

If you are in significant discomfort, it might be worth considering the allergy shots, but it is a big time commitment--weekly shots for half a year to a year, then monthly shots for several years.

Closed Thread