It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinusitus not getting better

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
    pizzapizzapie
    (female)

pizzapizzapie HB User
    Sinusitus not getting better

I've had sinusitus since november 09 and it's not getting any better! (I've had two very fevourish phases where i couldn't sleep in the past that have come and gone)..but on a general scale it's just getting more unbearable as time goes by.
    I develeped a bad chest infection because of it a few weeks ago and went to the doctors, i was given antibiotics for my chest and a nasal spray. (which i was told to stay on for a fair while)

NOTHING has gotten better since though. It's getting worse. I've almost lost my sense of smell entirely, I still can barely breath through my nose, it's constantly runny with yellow/green mucus, my nose makes a funny clicking sound liek it's trying to release pressure?, one of my ears has gone really blocked, facial pain is getting worse, i feel tired all the time, and my cough hasn't shifted and my chest is almost constantly wheezy. and i feel GROSS and a wee bit depressed because of it.

I'm going to the doctor next week when i go back from uni but i'm afraid i'll just be told to stick with the nasal spray..which doesn't seem to have any affect right now whilst my symtoms are getting worse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
    KateJ99
    (female)

KateJ99 HB User
    Re: Sinusitus not getting better

Hi there,
    I feel your pain! I have had sinus problems on and off my entire life. First, are you going to a general doc or an ENT? My ENT would never let something go that long without any tests.
    Do they put you on antibiotics? I ended up being resistant to a few antibiotics becusae I was on them for so long. I would also get a steroid pack to take for the first week...I was usualy on the antibiotics for 10-14 days.
    They can also test the mucus to make sure there they are treating the infection the correct way.
    I hated it at first, but now I swear by the neti pot. Its really hard to do it with an infection, but once you begin to clear up, use it every day!
    Also, if you have continuous infections, have you had a catscan to see if there is a blockage? I was diagnosed with sinus polyps a year ago and finally had it removed in Feb. 'Stuff' would sit in my sinus cavity and fester and thats were the infections always started. I have been cold/allergy/infection free since! I am also doing allergy injections so that during allergy season, my sinus passages will not get inflamed and cause more problems..leading to yet another infection. I also had a deviated septum corrected and more sinus polyps removed back in my teens, so that could be a cause of continual infections as well - no proper way for your nose to clean itself out and work properly.

Anyway, sorry about the long background on my life story. But it seems like you might be going through a similar situation as I went through and I would say if you are going to and ENT, maybe find another one. They shouldnt be telling you just to use a spray to try and fix the infection.

Best of luck,
    Kate

Old 04-26-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    I'm going to the doctor next week when i go back from uni but i'm afraid i'll just be told to stick with the nasal spray..which doesn't seem to have any affect right now whilst my symtoms are getting worse
    Obviously you're at a point where seeing a doctor is your best option.

You mention nasal spray but don't mention what kind of spray you're using. If you're using Afrin or some other type of decongestant spray, it is probably contributing to your problem (after a few days Afrin actually causes something called "rebound congestion" which makes your nasal tissues more swollen and inflamed, and making it more difficult for your sinuses to drain). That may actually be the cause of your worsening symptoms.

You might also consider trying saline irrigation using a SinusRinse bottle (available at any drugstore for about $10). It's similar to a neti pot but makes it easier to irrigate deeper into your sinuses to help rinse infected mucus from your sinuses and soothe the congestion.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
    pizzapizzapie
    (female)

pizzapizzapie HB User

Thanks for the help guys. I felt at a bit of a loose end last night!

I'm seeing the doctor at the moment and should be making another appointment next week.

I was given Nasonex (mometasone furoate) to use twice a day and amoxicillin(for 7 days). Neither of which seem to have had any effect as i'm getting worse right now

I haven't tried the saline irrigation thing yet, but i've read about stuff like that on the web, i'm going to give it a go.

Last edited by pizzapizzapie; 04-26-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Closed Thread