HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   Recovering from hospitalization for cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/763819-recovering-hospitalization-cerebral-venous-sinus-thrombosis.html)

ChiJenn 08-16-2010 08:31 PM

Recovering from hospitalization for cerebral venous sinus thrombosis

Good evening. I'm so glad I discovered this board!

I visited my doctor 3 weeks ago with intense pain (9 on a 1-10 pain scale) on the left side of my head and was sent for an MRI and MRV. The MRV showed an 8-inch blood clot in my left venous sinus and I was immediately led down to the ER and admitted to the hospital. I spent a week in the neuro unit, 4 1/2 days of which were in the ICU on that floor. I was treated with blood thinners and will be on Coumadin for sometime.

The main culprit has been identified ... the birth control pill, Yasmin. Needless to say, I broke up with oral contraceptives the second I went into the hospital.

While this is considered to be a rare condition, I am already aware of 2 other people who had the same issue with the same cause. PLEASE CONSIDER THE RISKS WHEN GOING ON THE BIRTH CONTROL PILL.

I'm thankful and blessed to have had the clot identified and to have received the care I needed to recover. I certainly have fears and anxiety over such a shocking event, which I deal with day to day. But, overall, I'm just thankful.

If anyone has experience with this condition, I would welcome to hear your insights and advice ... And, most of all, I hope you're well!

Thank you for reading,
Jenn

Gerrit 08-17-2010 01:34 PM

Re: Recovering from hospitalization for cerebral venous sinus thrombosis

Hi Jenn,

sorry to hear about your health problems.

Headache as the ONLY sign of a venous sinus thrombosis?

Gerrit

ChiJenn 08-17-2010 10:19 PM

Hi Gerrit.

No, the headache wasn't the only symptom of my CVST. I also had numbness and tingling in my hands and feet, severe dizziness and fatigue, numbness on the left side of my face and nausea.

J

Doll Baby 08-27-2010 06:08 PM

Chi Jenn
my daughter was 30 and on Seasonque had a hemmapalegic stroke due to the pill almost died I urge women to really consider the effects women think it will not happen to me but it does head the advise it could save your life.

ChiJenn 08-29-2010 09:11 PM

Doll Baby, I'm so sorry to hear what your daughter went through but thank goodness they were able to identify what caused it.

Be well.
J

jetset198 09-11-2011 12:45 PM

Hi Jenn Im sorry you went thru that last yr. I just went thru the exact same thing a couple weeks ago from the Nuva ring. I was wondering since you have a year on me of recovery. Are you better? Have you had any recurring symptoms? Are you still on the blood thinner? Thx hope to hear back from you.

Stasi