It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Chronic Fungal Infection in Sinuses

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
    silentobserver
    (female)

silentobserver HB User
    Chronic Fungal Infection in Sinuses

Wow, where to start. I have had a long term fungal infection growing in my sinuses for about 3 years now. I've had noticeable symptoms/issue on and off for a while now and the main one being out of control blood pressure. Woud take a med for it for a few months, it would quit working, I'd get really itchy (no hives) and then of course they'd say I was allergic and switch the medication. About 10 months ago, I tore the tendon off the lowest part of my spine (coccyx or tailbone), this was excrutiating pain. Spent the first 3 weeks flat on my back, had doctors prescribing NSAIDS which really threw the BP out of control, then sterioid after steroid, then allergic reaction after allergic reaction (we now know it was fungal causing all the itching) only to get more steroids. Well the end result of all this started with a burning mouth within a couple of weeks of this, the drs of course told me I had burning mouth syndrome from all the meds. I put up with this for 5-6 months, just kept getting worse. I have read everything about this and it just didn't fit. However in the meantime with doing my own research I did find that YEAST will cause the same issues. Other symptoms inlcuded were uncontrollable weight gain, diarreah, swollen eyes, gunky stuff in eyes in the morning, swollen fingers and toes, all joints swollen including knees and ankles, painful to get up after sitting too long and it seems like the list could go on forever. I also started having an awful burning sensation in my chest in my esophal tube, and the back of my throat. My doctor told me this was because the BP was too high and that was my body releasing adreline which also caused me to shake involuntarily. This made no sense to me but I accepted it, after all they are doctors with a degree. One afternoon a couple of weeks later, after spending the afternoon researching once again coming up with YEAST as the culprit, i decided to take matters into my own hands. I had a prescription for Diflucan (single dose with one refill) so I took it. Within 24 hours I actually felt better, so I researched some more, and refilled the script and took it the next day, on the third day I felt even better, called the dr, went in, told him what had happened and he could see that my BP was good which was a small miracle, so he prescribed me 150MG of Fluconazole for 6 weeks. During this time frame, my bp stablized around 97/78 taking 5 mg of lisinopril daily. It was decided that I do not have high blood pressure and this was all caused by a systemic Yeast infection. However, it wasn't curing it, just containing it, the burning was still in the mouth (not as bad), but now the back of the throat was feeling funny and looking really funny. Went to the ENT he scoped me and saw my sinuses were literally caked with this white stuff which he did call Yeast, he changed the scripts which did nothing but make matters worse, BP shot up again, aches and pains, swelling, everything came back 10 fold. They finally turned me over to an infectious disease doctor because it is beyond them. Blood was taken, numerous cultures, ect. We are now waiting for them to grow out to actually name the fungus that it is. I've been on all the antifungals, the only ones left are the heavy duty ones and they have to make sure which it is that is needed for this type of fungus. I write this for anyone who has unanswered health issues, out of control Blood Pressure, swelling, and any other crazy thing. These Drs only know what has been put in a case study, or a patient they have been involved with. Most of the time fungal problems don't ever get considered. I'm here to tell you that it doesn't take much steroids or antibiotics to throw your body in a state of overgrowth of bad bacterias. Also, don't even think about believing all the stuff you read on the internet about Yeast (candida Albicans), most of it is written by people trying to sell their products like ThreeLac, and yes I've tried them all and a hefty price and when you have a serious overgrowth, they do not work. Check your symptoms, FYI, I never once ran a fever, as a matter a fact, my temperature has dropped and stays at around 97.1 which is strange for me which normally I was always a 98.6 person. I know this is a long road ahead but I am thankful that I'm with an infectious disease doctor now and we are on the right track. I feel like I could be a spokesperson for yeast/mold infections and what not to do. And for heavens sake, stay away from SUGAR, Wines/Alcholol, mushrooms/truffels even if you don't have allergies (which I don't), the fungus will use this and go into hyperdrive with it, regardless of whether its yeast or mold.

I'm going back this week to have a second round of cultures done so they can start growing to make sure it hasn't mutated before actual treatment has started so I have been taken off all antifungals for 4 days, its tough, todays not such a good day, but I'll get there. And of course being able to help even one person will make it all worth it.

Take care everyone and watch the steroids.

The following user gives a hug of support to silentobserver:
    polynix (01-09-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
    Lotsadogs
    (female)

Lotsadogs HB User
    Re: Chronic Fungal Infection in Sinuses

I have had sinus problems for more years than I care to count. When I lay down at night for sleep it feels as if I am drowning. Recently I began reading about fungal infections of the sinus cavities. I have taken repeated courses of antibiotics and have been to multiple doctors. The meds only help for a few days and then symptoms are back. I started treatment with Oil of Oregano which is written to be a very potent anti-fungal and within the first hour could feel a difference in the amount of head congestion. I have only taken for a couple of days -- but the difference is substantial. Better than with any meds.

Closed Thread