It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Is this just a sinus problem.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
    cazajacks
    Veteran
    (female)

cazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB User
    Is this just a sinus problem.

Hi, I have a 20yr old daughter who is suffering from sinus problems, this is what her g.p. has said. She has suffered all her life with congestion, all day everyday she is sneezing and nose running as she is very allergic to house dust and cats,and she has a cat that she can't part with (sadly will have to wait for it to die, but it's never in her bedroom).
    She has terrible congestion all year long.

She now has large lumps protruding out of her face, they are sort of oval in shape and stick out her face to the size of a birds egg. They are painful to touch and they are recurring. They look really strange. Her gp says its sinus, and we are happy with that diagnosis, but she now has one of theses lumps so high up on her face its actually going into her hair, is this right. I didn't know we had sinus cavities right up there.
    She has always been a sickly child and i have wrote on here before about her 4 years ago as she is always unwell. She suffers badly with night sweats and overheats real bad in bed.
    She often suddenly gets ill with a temperature and throws up, then by the next day it goes!!!! She has always suffered with headaches and being sick!!

She has had a couple of doses of anti biotics which have not worked, and she is also on long term antibiotics for acne, so its still not helped. She does have a nasal spray but only tried this for a short time.
    Do others on here with sinus problems get these big lumps sticking out of their face!!

I would appreciate any replies.
    Thank you

caza

Last edited by cazajacks; 01-27-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User
    Re: Is this just a sinus problem.

Hi cazajacks! Have you thought about getting a second opinion? Sinuses do not protrude from your face, they are situated behind the bone. So even if they were severely infected, I can't envision how they stick out like that! Sounds to me like she has something going on besides the allergies.
    As for the allergies themselves, is she on a daily allergy med? I highly suggest that! Also, some things that have helped me with allergies - 1) sinus rinses (i.e. Netipot or something similar) I find these help tremendously once a day when allergies are the worst. 2) Air filters! I have a room air purifier with a HEPA filter in my bedroom. Also have a larger one in the living room. With 6 animals (to include 4 cats) and being allergic to dust and cats myself, it's amazing what those filters can catch!
    Really hope you find some answers on why she's so sick!!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
    cazajacks
    Veteran
    (female)

Thank your reply wakkochic, i did wonder if these lumps should be protruding out of her face as ive never seen anyone else with this. I amgoing to get her to go back to the gp.

The info you supplied is fantastic and i am going to try the things you suggested, first of all what is a sinus rinse and how do you actually do the rinse. Also these air purifiers, what do i look for as i will go and buy some. And what is a HEPA filter. Can you tell me more about purifiers and how they work. I really appreciate your info.
    Thanks, Caza

Old 01-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

Hi caza! Glad to help. Sinus rinse systems use a salt water solution. Depending on the system you use (you can look up a Neti pot for one type) will determine the exact method, but you actually flush out the sinuses (versus just moisturizing them with saline sprays). I have what looks like a squeeze bottle with a large opening. You mix the saline spray in the bottle and squeeze the water into your sinuses through one nostril. You do this leaning over a sink and the water actually flushes out the opposite nostril. It sounds uncomfortable, but it's actually pretty easy! This can clean the sinuses of any allergens that are up there. Check your local drugstore for kits.
    As for room filters/purifiers, there are two you will encounter. One is a filter system. This is the kind I prefer. A HEPA filter (forget the acronym) is a filter that is rated for small particles of allergens. The filter I have simply sucks air in via a fan, sends it through the filter (there are actually two filters, one to catch large dust and the other for the fine particles) and sends it out the other side! The other kind you will see is smaller and usually is billed as an "air purifier" but in fact doesn't have an allergen rated filter and some argue about the safety of them giving of ions/ozone. Those are probably fine for people that don't have bad allergies. Biggest key with finding a filter is they are rated for room size so compare the square feet on the product description with the room size it will go on. Also think about the filters in your house air system. You can get good rated allergen filters for them too for not a whole lot more than the basic models.
    Let me know if you need any other info!!

The Following User Says Thank You to wakkochic17 For This Useful Post:
    cazajacks (01-29-2011)
    Old 03-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
    cazajacks
    Veteran
    (female)

Just an update, the new dr has said it is acne my daughter has, she has had this cyst thing on her face for over a month now, so they are now going to put her on that super strong long term antibiotics, i think they are called roacutane or something like this, hopefully this will work for her.

Closed Thread