It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Extreme Sinus Issue - Please help! (long explanation)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
    twmc142
    (male)

twmc142 HB User
    Extreme Sinus Issue - Please help! (long explanation)

Hello - I'm hoping someone out there can help me out that may experience similar issues, or may have a solution.My apologies for the long story, but I feel like its the only way to describe it. It's going to sound like I'm a hypo, but I'm far from it - just one huge issue I can't seem to overcome.

Backstory - I've had sinus issues and severe allergies my whole life. When I was 19, i had surgery to remove nasal polyps. I'm 32 now, and have had a continued sinus issues and a mild, to sometimes severe anxiety/panic disorder.
    But the "mental" issues, always seemed to stem from sinus pressure. I would have constant sinus pressure, (even kept like a journal to see any similarities or what i was doing to see maybe where it stemmed from - no avail,) and this would lead to dizziness, weird "zap-like" occurrences throughout my head, and general panic attack symptoms.

Over the past 2 years, it's been awful - worst it's ever been. I've been back and forth between my ENT doctor and Neurologist. My neurologist prescribed me to Gabapentin with symptoms similar to Dysautonomia. The Gabapentin didn't help, and made me feel really "jumpy" and twitchy.

In late February, after a CT Scan found multiple problems, I ended up having Balloon Sinuplasty. After about 6 months, I would say it helped about 50%. I can breathe a lot better, and for whatever reason, it has helped with the panic issues too. I also take Clarinex-D 12 hour twice a day, which does help as well.

So now we come to my problem. After all of this, and some good improvements, I still have SEVERE pain in my sinuses. I'll try to describe it as best as possible.

The pain is feels like it's IN my sinus walls, and the bone, or cartilage that they connect too. I can breathe throughout my sinuses fine, so it's not like they are swollen. Its almost like the feeling of a pulled muscle with the tightness, but it my sinus lining walls. So when i take a decongestant, or nose spray, (used to take Flonase,) it doesn't really help because my sinus passages are already open. This sounds weird, but its like a feeling where if could put my fingers up my nose and spread my nostrils, it would help it to feel better. The pain is pretty much from the bridge of my nose and below to the bottom of the hard part of the nose. The pain does bring on the symptoms of dizziness and almost vertigo.

Saline solution does not seem to help either.

Not sure if this matters, but I'm a mouth-breather when I sleep, but I sleep fine. I'm also very healthy, marathon runner, non-smoker, healthy eater for the most part.

I've explained this to my doctors, and nothing has seemed to fully help me. The Balloon Sinuplasty did help with my breathing, but not necessarily with the facial pain.

Sorry for the novel, hopefully someone out there can help! Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
    MollyW2013
    (female)

MollyW2013 HB User
    Re: Extreme Sinus Issue - Please help! (long explanation)

I'm so sorry to hear that you are experiencing what seems to be chronic pain. Although i cannot relate to that exact pain, I also experience chronic facial pain. Mine started a year ago. Ent said deviated septum and cyst in my sinus, and I needed surgery. I resisted as long as I could, but finally had the surgery this past May. I felt great for the first two months, mainly due to the Norco I was on! Facial pain is back... And, no one can seem to figure it out. I'm currently seeing a chiropractor as well as a neuromuscular dentist to see if I can get every possible angle taken care of that may contribute to facial pain. Do you grind your teeth at all?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
    zip452
    (female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
    Re: Extreme Sinus Issue - Please help! (long explanation)

I think that decongestants can have their own side effects, both systemic and local. Have you been tested for allergies? Is there any other way you have tried to tackle them besides the clarinex-D? I would see if stopping the clarinex-D or even trying straight clairitin would help at all. I know I try to only take allergy medication when I do something different (visit someplace with extra allergens, etc,) or if my allergies seem worse than a baseline as I do not want to be on the meds all of the time. I know when I take reactine it can make my sinuses hurt more as it tends to dry them out, but it obviously helps with other symptoms. Decongestants can also make some people tense, and your heart race and even cause dizzieness. I hope that you can find some things to make your life easier and your symptoms ease up a bit. I saw a spray made from seasame oil, its maybe an idea to try, or I have problems with nose bleeds and sometimes I take a q-tip with a tiny bit of coconut oil and put it in the inside of my nostrils.

Closed Thread

Tags
    balloon sinuplasty, facial pain, sinus pressure, sinusitis