It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Frontal sinus obliteration twice!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
    kt943
    (female)

kt943 HB User
    Frontal sinus obliteration twice!

Needing some advice. I'm 35 and have had sinus problems all of my life due to staph infection. (Plus Lupus)I have lost count at 15 sinus surgeries (a lot of them were trying to get stints to stay in) also have had two frontal obliterations about ten years ago. The area where they took out the bone keeps getting worse, looks like it is caving in. Has anyone had this surgery more than once and what were your results? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User
    Re: Frontal sinus obliteration twice!

Can you tell me what obliteration is? I've had sinus problems all my life and now it is causing otitis media with effusion. I'm assuming from the post nasal drip. It feels like my nose and sinus' that are in between my eyebrows are about three inches out from my face and there is so much pressure it literally feels like the bones in my nose are separating. Could they actually be doing this? I've been using afrin for along time. I know the issue of dependence but I literally can't breathe out of the left side of my nose. I have had a ct scan that shows nothing. I couldn't believe that it showed nothing as chronic as this problem has been for me. Other sprays in the store, steroid sprays from ent, antihistamines do not help. Not even the homeopathic stuff helps. I don't know where to go for help next. I also should mention that I had nose surgery as a teenager and it was messed up. Could I be having a problem all these years later from that? Could that be causing me to have this breathing issue from the left side of my nose? Could I have scar tissue, polyp, or some kind of cholesteatoma in my sinus' that the ct doesn't show. Something is not right and has been for quite awhile now and it's getting worse. Is there anybody that has had similar symptoms or circumstances that might be able to let me know what this is so that I know what kind of doctor to try to see. Please help.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

When you say you had two frontal obliterations, I'm assuming you had one on each side, correct?

Unfortunately, that's a MAJOR procedure - really the procedure of last resort - so if you're having issues you need to see someone who truly specializes in the most serious chronic sinus disease. Your best bet would likely be the Mayo clinic given your location.

There are some surgeons who actually reverse the obliteration and others who prefer to re-do the procedure, but deciding the best course of action is definitely going to require a CT scan, endoscopic exam and expert advice. Best of luck - that's a tough predicament.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
    catliz
    (female)

catliz HB User

I feel for you! I am a new poster and am up to 8?surgeries and am now scheduled to have the frontal a Sinus Obliteration surgery. They are taking out bone again, that keeps growing back and shutting down the sinus. How long did you have some relief from symptoms afterwards and why did they have to do two? How far apart where they? It seems like a nightmare that never ends! You need to get to a good ENT or don't you have one looking after you with your history?ni hope to hear back from you. It is an awful disease and I sure can relate to you!!

Closed Thread

Tags
    sinus issues, sinus obliteration