It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus surgery still have swelling 7 months

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
    Teagan4
    (female)

Teagan4 HB User
    Sinus surgery still have swelling 7 months

I had sinus surgery, turbinate reduction and septoplasty nearly seven months ago.

I finally started to be able to breath better through my nose at the beginning of 6 months.

Still can't breathe with activity through my nose, however, that means walking etc.

I was told that it could take 6 -12 months for the swelling to resolve.

I still have significant swelling in my face that I can see, and my cheeks are still tender and the area from the check to my nose.

I actually have a fold wrinkle where the swelling pressed on my face on the right side

They NEVER told me about how long it would take, until months passed. I am sooooo mad.

Yes, I did have a significant sinus infection and lots of swelling when I had the surgery.

NOw, I have some sort of infection and the swelling hurts like hell on my septum and other areas. I never had so much discomfort when I had the sinus infection BEFORE the surgery. AND that was my one and only major sinus infection in my life.

I had a mucocele in the frontal sinus that had to be removed. Otherwise, I may never have agreed to do what I underwent, esp knowing what I know now.

I could not really wash my face for months. to this day, any bending over is uncomfortable with pressure. Still have headaches, and lots of facial discomfort, dryness in my nose when I sit back or lay down.

for months, when I would shower the heat would swell me up and press on the septum or somewhere and cause pain. Being out in the summer would swell immediately, dryness, and then pain from the swelling. No fun on the beach this year.

I am very sensitive to medicaitons and have not chosen to take anything during this process aside from the 10 days after surgery.

They keep saying to be patient.

I want to know:

1) is this normal?
    2) what do non medication sensitive people take following surgery over the months to keep symptoms at bay?

I would like to have more breathing ability through my nose so I can live a normal life without breathing through my mouth, which incidentally, brings me to a state of hyperventilation after a short time.

I mean should I just take steroids the rest of the months of recovery? What do the Drs think a patient should be able to tolerate. It took me a long time to feel normal after three Medrol packets, and weeks of prednisone that I don't think I tapered properly because I could no longer stand the agitation feeling.

3) is visible facial swelling normal after so long. On the web they always say on ENT sites that there is no visible swelling.

It has been a living hell (yes some tolerable days, but more about surviving rather than enjoying life)

Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
    KristyBabe
    (female)

KristyBabe HB User
    Re: Sinus surgery still have swelling 7 months

Hello. I'm so sorry to read about your suffer!
    My husband got also sinus surgery (FESS) 5 months ago and he has no facial swelling. Some days he feels pressure in the sinuses but what you say sounds very strange to me. I would recommend you to go to a second opinion to a doctor who also makes sinus surgerys and see what he has to say.
    You shold not stay like this and wait, it's been too long
    keep well..

Old 11-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
    Teagan4
    (female)

Teagan4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KristyBabe View Post
    Hello. I'm so sorry to read about your suffer!
    My husband got also sinus surgery (FESS) 5 months ago and he has no facial swelling. Some days he feels pressure in the sinuses but what you say sounds very strange to me. I would recommend you to go to a second opinion to a doctor who also makes sinus surgerys and see what he has to say.
    You shold not stay like this and wait, it's been too long
    keep well..
    Thanks for your reply. I plan on it when I get through this infection - now 4 weeks.

The Dr seems to connect the septoplasty with a lot of the swelling. But I just don't know. He says my septum was very deviated.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
    KristyBabe
    (female)

KristyBabe HB User

Maybe he is right, I don't know for sure. It's dounds strange to me that it's been like this for 7 months.
    I hope everything will work out for you as soon as possible. If it's still like that go and hear a second opinion.
    Good luck and lots of health!

Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
    Teagan4
    (female)

Teagan4 HB User

Well, it was not normal.

Things got very bad. I likely have Empty Nose Syndrome. I have extreme dryness and cant breathe through my nose any more really. I have very little nasal resistance. MY passages are open, but I cannot breathe through it.

Drs have said I have a lot of turbinate tissue missing and that sometimes people improve. I have been getting worse and not better.

I had so much pain. My surgeon never admitted anything. But two other Drs saw it and told me that I am too open, like a wind tunnel.

The reason for the pain and swelling was due to the dry mucosa atrophying.

Now I have no mucous and have to put oils and ointments in all day, They really don't help that much.

NO ONE told me I was going to have a turbinate reduction as part of sinus surgery. I NEVER heard of a turbinate.

PLEASE DONT LET ANYONE TOUCH YOUR TURBINATES. I CRY EVERY DAY. MY LIFE IS OVER

TURBINATE CANNOT BE REPLACED OR REPAIRED

Last edited by Administrator; 03-21-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Teagan4-

Sorry to hear that you're going through this. You don't mention where you are from in your posts but if you are in the U.S. you should look into seeing Dr. Steven Houser at MetroHealth in Cleveland.

Dr. Houser is an expert in ENS and has had some success in helping ENS sufferers by placing implants in the nose that replicate some of the anatomical function of turbinates, improve airflow and reduce the symptoms of ENS.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
    Teagan4
    (female)

Teagan4 HB User

I intend to see Dr. Houser.

I have been very unwell, and can't even think of travel still. I can't imagine being on an airplane at this point. That is the difficulty. The breathing issues are difficult too. Dr. Houser does have phone consults, but I need to get a new CT.

The nightmare of how I have been treated and what I experienced is pretty devastating.

I am having a hard time accepting it, because I had no knowledge that I was to undergo a turbinate reduction. Plus I now have nasal valve collapse too from the surgery.

Thanks for your sympathy.

PS I notice you are from OH. I found out that Dr. Subinoy Das is treating empty nose syndrome. He is in Columbus, OH.

Last edited by Teagan4; 07-27-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Closed Thread