It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• complications after sinus surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
    marsha44
    (female)

marsha44 HB User
    complications after sinus surgery

I would greatly appreciate advice. My husband had sinus surgery several weeks ago. The surgery was successful with no complications and no pain. He returned to ENT doctor three weeks later for removal of sponges from his sinus cavities. The process was difficult but sponges were removed. This began the pain experience; he noticed non localized pain in his sinuses; uncomfortable but bearable. As days went on pain began to localize in and around his ear. The pain continued for a week and became unbearable. Back to the ENT who said he was healing well and that the pain should subside within another week or so. Two weeks later and the pain was still unbearable (10 out of 10). Back to the ENT for another consultation. He recommended puncture of eardrum with insert of tube to alleviate pressure inside ear canal. He underwent the procedure and they removed puss and liquid from the ear canal. The result was no relief from pain and three weeks later the pain remains unbearable. He spends the day in bed with a heating pad and pain pills. Called ENT today to set up another appointment and he suggested that PCP would be a better choice at this point; he feels that there is nothing more he can offer; he does not believe the pain is associated with the ear or sinus surgery. I have made the appointment but have the feeling that PCP is going to recommend ENT.

Help please,

Marsha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User
    Re: complications after sinus surgery

Is he on antibiotics? Pus indicates infection.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Sorry to hear that your husband is going through this. Other than the visit to remove the sponges and the visit to deal with the pain did your husband have any additional follow up visits with the ENT? Generally, surgeons are supposed to schedule 2-3 follow up visits during the weeks after surgery to remove "crusts" that can lead to the formation of scar tissue.

Also, I'm curious to know what other follow up regimen your husband is on. Does the ENT have him irrigating his sinus cavities with saline (salt water) and using a steroid spray (or anything else)?

Your husband shouldn't still be feeling this kind of pain but, if the surgeon didn't schedule the follow up appointments to remove crusts from his sinuses and doesn't have him on an ongoing regimen to help deal with the issues, I would recommend that you find a different ENT.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
    marsha44
    (female)

marsha44 HB User

he was on antibiotics before, during and after surgery. The doctor also put him on steroids for a short time. My husband has a long history of sinus infections complicated by polyps; this was his third surgery to remove polyps... about every 15 years. After surgery the doctor said there was alot of infection but he thought he cleaned it all up.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

If the ENT doesn't have him on a medical regimen to manage the polyps then you definitely need to find another ENT.

Anyone who has a history of polyps would generally be put on a steroid nasal spray to reduce the likelihood of the polyps recurring and should probably also at least try Singulair because for many people Singulair will prevent polyps from developing.

I would ask your PCP for a referral to a different ENT - preferably one who has some expertise in treating recurring polyps and sinus disease.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

Yes, I agree...the follow up doesn't sound right. For one thing, the sponges or whatever was in there should have come out much sooner. By three weeks, they were most likely completely crusted over and the skin was starting to grow over them. He should have been on saline rinses and been seen at least once a week for 2-3 weeks to have the scope and make sure everything was out of there. I would go to another ENT. Call and tell them about the pain and someone should be willing to see him right away.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
    marsha44
    (female)

marsha44 HB User

My husband is an old pro at sinus surgery; seems that every 15 years he has had to have polyps removed surgically. He has never had this type of result before. The regiment he follows includes saline spray and a prescribed nose spray; pain pills were also prescribed. He went back to the ENT about 3 weeks after surgery for removal of sponges; no discomfort until this procedure. About 2 weeks later pain issue was the reason for next ENT consultation. The doctor said he was healing properly but did not understand the pain. After 2 more weeks we scheduled another appointment because there was no relief from pain. This appointment involved a procedure which punctured his eardrum, insert the tube. This was the last appointment. No relief from pain. As of this date he gets out of bed to make sure that he eats something; he is losing alot of weight and the resulting lack of energy. I am at a point that I may have to take him to E.R. if he gets any worse. Will try the PCP next week and see if another set of eyes helps the situation.
    I will absolutely consider another ENT. Thank you for your input. I usually have a pretty logical mind for solving problems. This one has me baffled.
    Thanks again.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
    marsha44
    (female)

marsha44 HB User

My husband is an old pro at sinus surgery; seems that every 15 years he has had to have polyps removed surgically. He has never had this type of result before. The regiment he follows includes saline spray and a prescribed nose spray; pain pills were also prescribed. He went back to the ENT about 3 weeks after surgery for removal of sponges; no discomfort until this procedure. About 2 weeks later pain issue was the reason for next ENT consultation. The doctor said he was healing properly but did not understand the pain. After 2 more weeks we scheduled another appointment because there was no relief from pain. This appointment involved a procedure which punctured his eardrum, insert the tube. This was the last appointment. No relief from pain. As of this date he gets out of bed to make sure that he eats something; he is losing alot of weight and the resulting lack of energy. I am at a point that I may have to take him to E.R. if he gets any worse. Will try the PCP next week and see if another set of eyes helps the situation.
    I will absolutely consider another ENT. Thank you for your input. I usually have a pretty logical mind for solving problems. This one has me baffled.
    Thanks again.

Closed Thread