It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Chronic Sinusitis and Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User
    Chronic Sinusitis and Surgery

HI everyone - I am new to these boards and was hoping for some advice. My background - end of June got a sinus infection - only on my left side. Started first with horrific upper teeth pain and then had thick yellow mucus draining from nose. about a week later started to notice a funky smell and realized it was coming from me! from up my nose. anyway this has lasted since then. thick yellow mucus, nasty smell, facial pain, headaches, etc. been on 6 rounds of antibiotics and nothing. had a CT scan done which showed significant mucus in the left maxillary sinus and ethmoid. couldn't tell if I have polyps cause of so much mucus. Finally saw an ENT who recommended surgery. However I am scared to death. I have never had surgery and have never been under anesthesia. also I have heard of people who have either died or had serious complications from sinus surgery. so I am freaked out. what would happen if I just let this go? could something more serious happen? I am so tired of feeling like this though. im tired all the time and my face hurts constantly. anyone with a similar story with any advice on what I should do? also what to expect with the surgery??? thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Chronic Sinusitis and Surgery

People have died after having an ingrown toenail removed but that's no reason to suffer and not have it removed. Seriously. Things happen in rare instanaces and you can't always go to that when confronted with something.

The one piece of information you didn't give us is what surgery does he want to do? What's the condition that needs to be corrected?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Titchou's right you can find a horror story about any kind of surgery but sinus surgery is very safe. Titchou's absolutely right that it's important for you to know EXACTLY what the surgeon is planning to do and what specific condition he/she is going to correct.

More importantly, you should also make sure that your doctor has done everything possible to address the condition MEDICALLY before you have the surgery.

Generally, that would mean at least a round of oral steroids, daily saline irrigation with a SinusRinse bottle, a steroid nasal spray for some period of time, and potentially another extended round of antibiotics. There are lots of ENTs who want to jump right to surgery without trying to address the underlying medical condition but surgery may not be the only solution to your problem and it's worth a few weeks of medical therapy to make sure you've done everything possible to avoid surgery.

I would also recommend that you make sure that your surgeon really specializes in treating sinus disease. Most office-based ENTs don't really do enough sinus surgery to have mastered the procedure. I always recommend that people see an ENT at a major research or teaching hospital who specializes in treating sinus disease.

You definitely can't leave your sinus issues untreated but you should explore your medical options and be sure that your surgeon is truly an expert before you make a decision about the surgery.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

Thanks for ur replies! Here's more details. My family Dr has had me on 6 rounds of antibiotics - including augmentin, levoquin, and biaxin. I also took prednisone. as well as flonase and I have done saline sprays. When I saw the ENT he was told all this and he had my CT scans. Even though he recommended surgery he agreed to try Avelox and another round of prednisone. I've been on this for almost 2 weeks and I am still the same. I go back next week and I'm sure he will confirm this. I am not sure of the exact name of the surgery but my left ethmoid sinuses will be drained. I believe he said it will be done endoscopically. I know I have to do this. I can't take the way I feel anymore. Right now the inside of my nose is burning and the stench is making me want to throw up. I keep choking on my postnasal drip. My face hurts and my eyes r throbbing. I can't take feeling like this anymore. Im miserable and tired all the time. I have 2 young children too. Im terrified of having surgery but I'm not sure I can take feeling this way anymore.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
    Kay80
    (female)

Kay80 HB User

hi guys, yes these antibiotics are horrible, you would want something natural that doesn't mess up your immune system! I recommend salt therapy it really worked for me a couple of years ago when I had a bad sinus infection. It reduced the inflammation a great deal so I did not feel that awful pressure all the time and helped me get rid of mucus. Since then I rarely had a problem with it. Yours is obviously a more chronic one but it would still worth give it a try to help reduce the amount of antibiotics your taking. Best of luck with it!

Old 12-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
    aurorab2
    (female)

aurorab2 HB User

Just wanted to say that I tried Salt therapy for Sinusitis when I was pregnant and couldn't take any medication for it and it was a godsend! the really great thing is that I went for about 2 months just before I gave birth and my little one is now 9 months old and I still haven't had a recurrence.

I plan on going back in the new year to do some more sessions just to keep it at bay. I think it is always good to look at the natural alternatives before going down the surgery root, which from what I've heard from friends who have tried it is not always successful and is very painful!

Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

What is salt therapy?

Old 12-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Why have you been doing saline sprays instead of saline rinses? That would flush out more of the infection. I think I'd try that before having them drained...that's a pain to do though I don't really consider it "surgery" per se.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
    Kay80
    (female)

Kay80 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KelleyH View Post
    What is salt therapy?
    Salt therapy basically means breathing in dry saline air which then reduces the inflammation in the lungs and sinuses and helps getting rid of mucus at the same time. All you do is sit in a salt room (walls and floor full of salt) and then they blow in the salty air through a hole which has the healing benefits. People use it for asthma , bronchitis, sinusitis, etc. It i very nice and relaxing at he same time. Worked really well for me.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

Titchou- is a rinse a neti pot? Cause I have done that too. And why wouldn't u consider what I'm having done as "surgery"???

Closed Thread