It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Mystery (two surgeries)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
    Lynn429
    (female)

Lynn429 HB User
    Sinus Mystery (two surgeries)

Ten months ago, I noticed that I was waking up with a constant headache in the front of my forehead. I was also very tired ALL the time and out of it/foggy. Originally, I was sent to an ENT, who said I had a sinus infection (even though I had no discharge/stuffiness). He put me on antibiotics. It did nothing. He had me do a CT scan, and he felt that I could benefit from sinus surgery. I went to another ENT for a second opinion. This guy wanted to be sure I wasn't having migraines or any other neurological issues before we had the surgery, so I got MRI's and all that - ALL came back normal (phew).

So...I had the sinus surgery. The headaches, exhaustion, and fogginess continued. I went to ANOTHER ENT. He told me the surgery had not healed correctly (had another CT scan). So...I had ANOTHER sinus surgery. It has been almost two months since that surgery, and I am still in TERRIBLE pain. It's actually moved somewhat - from my forehead down in between my eyes and maxillary sinus area (but the headache is still there). It kinda feels like my head is underwater/in a vice - lots of pressure. I have very little drainage, but when I do sinus rinses or go outside in the cold, I can get a solid amount of clear mucus so stuff does come out.

My ENT thinks it might just be taking time for the inflammation to go down, but he said I shouldn't be in this much pain and/or feel SO sick. Could inflammation be causing this kind of constant unrelenting pain & exhaustion? Maybe. However, I'm starting to wonder if sinuses are really the problem at all.

TWO WEIRD THINGS (that I think mean something):
    - I got better two times over the ten months. Both times were brief and they occured when I was traveling to the west coast for work (I live on the east coast). The first time, I got better the day after I arrived in Los Angeles. The second trip, I get better a week into a two week stay in Los Angeles.
    - The two times I get better my nose ran like a faucet - very suddenly. The mucus was totally clear and basically like water. It was annoying to have the runny nose, but my headache was TOTALLY and instantly gone and the fogginess & exhaustion also quickly improved, so I didn't mind the runny nose.

It's not...
    - Dust mite or mold allergy. I spent a month living in another apartment just do be sure I wasn't allergic to anything in my apartment. I also keep my apartment incredibly clean/dust proof.
    - Gluten/dairy/nut allergy (did the diets - didn't help)
    - CSF...fluid did not show up on the MRI or CT
    - Lyme Disease (I had my blood work done, we checked for everything...twice. My blood is all good)
    - No vitamin issues (again, blood work is golden)

I don't think it is...
    - TMJ, went to a dentist. I grind my teeth, but they told me I didn't look like I had TMJ. I'm considering getting this looked at again, but I don't know if it would cause this kind of constant pain. Also, my neck doesn't hurt at all.
    - Migraine. The headache is always the same and ALWAYS there. It's also on both sides of my face.

I've tried and/or been on...
    - Every antibiotic
    - Neil med and Neti Pot
    - Steroids (in my sinus rinse and pills)
    - Probiotics
    - Natural remedies/Oil of Oregano, Apple cider, etc.
    (none of the above have worked)

I appreciate anyone that has taken the time to read this. I am desperate at this point. This thing is turning my life upside-down. I've never had a chronic illness in my life, so this entire thing seems like a bad dream.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Sinus Mystery (two surgeries)

Two things stand out. One, going to a different area of the country and, two, the clear mucous. Both are indicative of allergies. Have you had allergy testing (skin scratch test)?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
    Lynn429
    (female)

Lynn429 HB User

I have had allergy tests and nothing stuck out (except for an allergy to tree nuts, which I was already aware of and avoid - and even that isn't very serious).

My doc is thinking of putting me on a super high dose of steroids to see if that will make me feel better, but I am so tired of the steroids and antibiotic because I feel like they never work.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

It sounds like u have allergies. Even though the tests came back negative. I too have had several neg tests but I know I have allergies! Every spring and fall its the same thing- headaches, congestion, runny nose - then it will lead to a full blown sinus infection. Currently I have chronic sinusitis and nothing is helping. I've been scheduled for surgery in January. But I am fearful of going thru all that and not having it work! Would u mind telling me what to expect with the surgery? I'm very nervous about it! Thank u! Hope u find relief soon!

Closed Thread