It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sharp pain in one sinus months after surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
    adpace
    (female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User
    Sharp pain in one sinus months after surgery

Hello everyone! I had a balloon sinuplasty back in August that I had hoped would more or less "cure" me of this sinus torment that I have lived in for most all of my life. After the surgery, I will say I could immediately tell that my sinuses were more open. I did have a fair amount of bleeding for a couple of days post surgery out of my left nostril and then some slower bleeding for probably 2 weeks post surgery.

The relatively good news was that I didn't experience another infection and felt better than I ever had until November. I did, however, experience some pain up in the left sinus area. Now, I back to feeling blah and dealing with infection again. It all seems to be originating on the left side. My right side will feel completely clear, but the left side will get stopped up or just feel painful. I do daily sinus rinses when this happens and there are little flecks of blood in the mucus.

Wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar. I feel like I am half way cured. The surgery did wonders for me on the right side, but that doesn't help a whole lot if the left is still messed up. My ENT did a CT scan about a month ago and said he still sees mucosal thickening. I'm scheduled to go back in March, but this whole routine is getting pretty old. I pretty much feel yucky for a month, then the real infection sets in strong sometime after that and I end up needing antibiotics approximately every 3 months just to function. And the time leading up to when a doctor will actually give me antibiotics because it has gotten "bad enough" to look like infection is also miserable. Any ideas on what could be going on here?

Before the surgery, I never had this sharp pain on the left like I do now. I keep hoping that it is just taking it's sweet time to heal, but I'm starting to get nervous. Whenever that pain flares up, I end up with an infection and some bleeding on that side. Any ideas as to why? Just want this 20 year plus sinus nightmare to end. . .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
    Spyder96
    (male)

Spyder96 HB User
    Re: Sharp pain in one sinus months after surgery

I just had a Balloon Sinuplasty yesterday. It seems like my nose breathing is a little louder. I'm not sure if it's just irritation. Have you noticed the same?

Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
    adpace
    (female)

For a few weeks it might have been. There is a lot of "gunk" that I think is probably involved with the healing process. Do your irrigations as directed by your doctor and that should subside eventually. I certainly don't notice anything like that now, but it seems like it might have been that way for a week or so post-op.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
    Spyder96
    (male)

Spyder96 HB User

Alright. That's good to know. Which Sinus did you have your Balloon Sinuplasty? I might start irrigating today.

Last edited by Spyder96; 01-11-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
    adpace
    (female)

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until just now. I had it on both sides. Are you feeling better from your surgery?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
    Spyder96
    (male)

Spyder96 HB User

It's all good. My Nose breathing isn't as loud. It may have subsided. I fear that I may have had unnecessary Surgery. My main Symptom really is Post Nasal Drip and for some strange reason, Loss of some Voice Resonation. I faked the CT Scan to get the Surgery. My Post Nasal Drip may have improved a little bit, but it didn't all the way. This has been an irritating issue for the past Year and a Half. Right now, I'm trying Flonase. Let's see how it works.

Last edited by Spyder96; 01-31-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
    adpace
    (female)

Glad you are feeling better! Unfortunately, I don't think the surgery would necessarily be very helpful for post nasal drip. Really, it's to help everything drain BETTER. But, I guess it would just depend on your situation.

I'm very curious as to how you would "fake" a CT scan???

Anyway, nasal steroids can be very helpful. Hopefully that solves most of your issues. I'm surprised they didn't try that for a while before doing surgery!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
    Spyder96
    (male)

Spyder96 HB User

I had a good reason for me to desire Surgery. Back in last January, my Post Nasal Drip was even worse. But it was only White and Thick. At the time, I was running out of options as how to get rid of it.

I searched about Sinus Rinse. I read there was a way for your Neilmed Sinus Rinse to reach your Frontal and Sphenoid Sinuses, when regular Rinsing didn't. When you use the Normal Technique by the Neilmed Sinus Rinse, the Rinse only gets to your Maxillary and Ethmoid Sinuses. With the new Flip-Turn Sinus Flush, you could even get to your Upper Sinuses.

I was immediately excited. The following morning, I hopped in the shower with an 8 oz Neilmed Bottle with Hypertonic Saline. I let the water run extremely warm and steamed for 5 Minutes to open up my Sinuses. I tilted my head all the way back, and then squeezed water into one of my Nostrils until it filled the other. I then leaned forward all the way until my head was tilted upside down underneath my buttocks, and waited for 10 seconds. I immediately rose up, blew my Nose and Expectorated. Immediately, lots of Green/Yellow Mucus and even dried-up blood(Had to be from Chronic irritation) came out. I did this 2 more times and I was even more Thrilled. My Sense of Smell came back and over time my Post Nasal Drip lessened. It was slow process and it took a month for me. My Post Nasal Drip went from White and Thick to Yellow and Green, almost like it was trying to get rid of an underlying infection for a while.

Now my Post Nasal Drip isn't nearly as bad, but it went back to a Clear and White Color. After my Post Nasal Drip turned colored after the Sinus Rinse, it dawned upon me that there might be an infection deep in my Upper Sinus(Possibly where the Green/Yellow Mucus was coming from), so then came the idea that I should have Sinus Surgery.
    Continued..

Last edited by Administrator; 02-04-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

I would like to heartily recommend the Grossan Sinus Irrigator. It works and looks like a Water Pik and is made by the same company. It gets the solution up into all your sinuses so they get a really good, but gentle, rinse. You bend over a sink to use it. Your method of quickly bending up and down in the shower sounds dangerous to me...good way to make yourself dizzy and fall.

You do not need a special solution for it. I mix 1 cup of kosher salt with 1/4 cup of baking soda and keep in a covered container. A scant teaspoon is all you need.

I got mine at my local Walgreens. If they don't have any on the shelf, they can get it in a couple days. Well worth the money and they last forever if you remember to rinse it each time with clear water.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-04-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Closed Thread